• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

Golddiggie

NES Member
Comfortable amount of people in the basement has been determined to be 3-6 (plus Dave and I). More than that gets a bit crowded.

Tools, in the basement, include:
12 speed floor drill press
1 x-y axis vise
1 fixed vise
set of cobalt drill bits (29 count, up to 1/2")
7x14 metal lathe
Bench grinder
Several right angle grinders
Right angle die grinder
Air compressor
Oxy-Acy torch
Plus a small array of other hand tools (ball-peen hammers, punches, etc.).

On top of having a gas grill outside, there's a good stove (also gas) inside, plus a brew fridge (see pictures). If people want to bring tools, a mini mill would be nice (there's a set of bulkhead doors leading into the basement from the outside, as well as a normal entrance). Or picking up a 3/8" 4 flute end mill could really help. Would really help if someone else getting an AR10 lower, who ordered the jig, could come over.

I figure we need at least one person with an AR15 and one person with an AR10 jig to commit to coming over. After that, I'll stop taking people at 10 total (not including me).

View attachment 52846View attachment 52848

People slated to attend the weekend of April 20/21 (provided lowers and such are here as expected):
DJ_99Wing
Gator9329
Malodave
champe
lancecolonel
arcadia25
Jcat
kpr3006
thumper81
dropride
wiryone1
JCV
doctorbossman
Alex9661
67ray
oleironsiderperks
Robert J
noxin
peteyb
ninemilshooter
daddysuperfly
Censor1839
bezo
spcantwell
cbrxx
Neuro
JJ4
RBIG
Duece

Slating to run the party, both days, from about 9:30am to 8:30/9:00pm each day. The end/stop time will be determined by how much we keep on top of cleanup during the day. If there's not a ton of chips to cleanup towards the end (performing periodic cleanup during the day should help out a lot) then I'll be willing to extend the hours.

Additional tools [currently] in place:
Mini-mill via Malodave (with assorted mills, drill bit and reamers)

Last edited:
IN - willing to pay towards, or rent a jig for a ar15 . Anyone that is getting one I will give you some money to use yours , or we can all pitch in to group buy one.

Thanks Golddiggie for offering this

End mills and more machining knowledge will really help out. I'm just off exit 4, on rt 3, so not far into NH. Far enough from the MA border to be relaxed. Of course, the 8.8% mocha porter I'm about to pull a pint of won't hurt in that area either...

BTW, maybe we could also get together after for a cerakote party (guy in Manchester can do it, if we supply the material)... Especially on the raw AR10 lowers.

I have a tabletop Mini Mill with some tooling I could bring. I need to
clean it up and re tram everything. Other tools I have are Digital Calipers,
Vice blocks, Armorer's wrench, etc. If I can get my drill press out of
my storage unit i could bring that too.

I am looking at adding a 3 axis DRO (Digital Read Out) to my mill soon.

MaloDave

2 blocks off exit 6 In Nashua

Last edited:
I'm in. Have contributed to an NES jig. Also have a nice commercially finished 100% AR-15 lower I can bring for measurement and comparison.

alright, i am in. hoping this will take place on a weekend day.....
i have an armorers wrench and a few other lower specific tools i can bring. i might be able to get a hold of some cutting tools as well.
i was going to contribute to a community jig but if someone is buying one outright for this party i will be happy to "rent" it from you to cut my lower.
subscribed.......

I'm not sure if i'll have the money to get a lower before the buy ends but i have a jig already so if anyone needs to borrow it to do theirs i'm more than willing to lend it out.

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH

I'm definitely in for this. I'm pretty close in Lowell. I'm paying for mine tomorrow so If I need to donate towards a jig then I will for sure.

I'm not sure if i'll have the money to get a lower before the buy ends but i have a jig already so if anyone needs to borrow it to do theirs i'm more than willing to lend it out.

AR15 or AR10 jig?? I hope we can get one (at least) of each for the party. I'm getting one of each lower, but cannot afford the jigs (between jobs). I'll have my AR15 (DPMS) here for reference, as well as the synthetic lowers, if needed. If someone else wants to bring a stripped lower, even better. [smile]

i can bring a stripped lower for reference.
edit: i also have measuring tools i can bring (verniers & mics) and i can bring an indicator and an edgefinder in case we have a way to "mill" these.

Last edited:
We may have to get the group buy jigs from Winter. I know I will need one so
that I can lock down one half of the jig to my milling table to keep the setup
strait with the movements of the mill.

Malodave

Ok the latest for me. I could not get to my drill presses in my storage unit.
I would have to move more than half my stuff and the Airplane to get to them.
With them are my clamps and collets for the mini Mill. So I will be purchasing
another set of clamps and collets for the build party.

Harbor Freight stores have a sale on 4 in Digital calipers for $10 this weekend,
Also the 6 in digital Calipers are going for $20.

I picked up a few 4-40 set screws and Tap to put in the Rear takedown
pin Detent spring hole. I am also looking for a few 1/4-28 set screws with a
nylon tip to add as a upper tensioning screw. I also picked up a few 1/4-28
setscrews for the 50 cent trigger job. Actually they were only 34 cents each.

Malodave

Last edited:
I have two clamp-down kits already, so don't spend on those just yet. One is for 5/8" T-slots and the other for 1/2" T-slots. I'm actually looking to sell the 5/8" set, since it won't work with what I have (drill press uses the 1/2", didn't know that when I ordered the first set). I have some taps and dies already, and can get some from my father's old tool box (in my sister's basement) before the build. But if you want to get your own, feel free.

For the build party, first run, it all depends on when the lowers arrive.

This is sounding good. As time gets closer we should figure out what we are missing for tooling. I don't mind filling some of the blanks. I would also pitch in for food if we thought we wanted to do that also.

My Mini Mill actually uses 7/16 T nuts and 3/8 x 16 studs. I wanted a fresh
4-40 tap for this job. I should have the 1/4-28 tap in my stuff. I also went
thru my reamers to get all the sizes. There are a few we can use.

I will be checking out my end mills for the sizes we need today. The Mill will
be gone over to remove the light surface rust and re-trammed. The X-axis
is a little stiff to turn right now, will address that minor problem too.

Golddiggie,

Does your 5/8" set use 3/8-16 studs? I can get just the 7/16" T-slot
nuts for about $1.50 each.

Malodave

ETA:

I just ordered the R8 collet set I need, some 7/16" T-slot nuts, 1/4-28 nylon tip
set screws, and two 6" DROs. I have to order two 12" DROs when they are
available again, or get some 24" ones and cut the scales down.

I have two clamp-down kits already, so don't spend on those just yet. One is for 5/8" T-slots and the other for 1/2" T-slots. I'm actually looking to sell the 5/8" set, since it won't work with what I have (drill press uses the 1/2", didn't know that when I ordered the first set). I have some taps and dies already, and can get some from my father's old tool box (in my sister's basement) before the build. But if you want to get your own, feel free.

For the build party, first run, it all depends on when the lowers arrive.

Last edited:
The 1/2" t-nuts use a 3/8"-16 bolt with them. The 5/8" uses a 1/2" bolt, I believe. We can use the set(s) I have here come build day. I should have enough in the sets to work on the drill press and for your mill. If you want to get another set, go for it (not going to stop someone from getting tooling for their projects).

I'll be sure to make the bulkhead accessible come build day. That way we can get the mill in/out without much issue. The bench it can rest on isn't far from the bulkhead either.

Sounds like we'll have at least one AR15 jig. Just hope we get someone with the AR10 jig as well. That way I can finish off my AR10 lower too. [smile]

The Mini Mill is only about 110 pounds and is bolted to a 30in countertop that sits on a kitchen cabinet.
So I don't need a bench for it. I have pulled the X-Y table apart to clean and re-grease the ways. I
bought some rubber sheeting to replace the way shields. The DROs will be here about the end of the
week. I will bring a small air compressor to blow out the chips while milling. Do you have a shop Vac,
or should I bring mine to try and keep the place somewhat clean?

I figure we will need at least 2 jigs to work efficiently. One on the drill press to drill the Pin holes,
selector hole, and to remove most of the FCG pocket. The Other Jig would be mounted to the Mill
to do the final clean up of the FCG pocket.

If we only have one jig, I can mount my vice and a stop block so the jig can be positioned the
same each time, but, this will slow down the whole process. Because only one person can work
at a time.

Malodave

The 1/2" t-nuts use a 3/8"-16 bolt with them. The 5/8" uses a 1/2" bolt, I believe. We can use the set(s) I have here come build day. I should have enough in the sets to work on the drill press and for your mill. If you want to get another set, go for it (not going to stop someone from getting tooling for their projects).

I'll be sure to make the bulkhead accessible come build day. That way we can get the mill in/out without much issue. The bench it can rest on isn't far from the bulkhead either.

Sounds like we'll have at least one AR15 jig. Just hope we get someone with the AR10 jig as well. That way I can finish off my AR10 lower too. [smile]

Last edited:
I guess we'll figure it out by how many jigs show up. I'll weed through the posts later and make a list of those who have spots reserved due to bringing tooling and such. If you want to be in on the first party, and have a jig either coming or already, shoot me a PM to let me know. I really need to know who has a jig, not just who has contributed to the community jig. Unless Winter is ordering enough jigs to supply the different parties (that are in need) with them.

If we have enough people to do more than one party, I'll do a second spreadsheet. Maybe we can do both days on the same weekend. That way we could leave the tools setup and just have another group come through. Another option would be for people to show up in a more staggered method. That way it's not too crowded and such.

i can bring a couple bottles of tap free (cutting fluid) too. supposedly safe and non toxic.....
at least better than the used motor oil i have had to use in the garage in the past [laugh]

i can bring a couple bottles of tap free (cutting fluid) too. supposedly safe and non toxic.....
at least better than the used motor oil i have had to use in the garage in the past [laugh]

Sure, the tap free that is... I've been using some 3 in 1 oil for my metal machining. I have some soluble oil mix (it's a concentrate) that I could get into working concentration for this too. I might have my lubricant flood system build by the time the lowers come in. I'm looking to make it for use with my 7x14 lathe, as well as my floor drill press.

I would like like participate if there is still room. I purchased one AR-15 lower and donated to a community jig. I do not currently have a jig though. I'd be coming from Taunton and more than willing contribute to food and drinks.

-Derek-

Back
Top Bottom