775 Yard to the Moose. Do you take that shot?

There are two distinct skills to debate in this topic.

1. Marksmanship
2. Hunting skills

Here's my opinion.

The guy is an amazing marksman no doubt about that. But is he a good hunter? Almost any idiot can get within 800 yards of a moose or deer. How's his skill at getting close to game animals? I'm not saying the guy in video isn't good at getting close.....he might be.....just using what's in the video to point out the difference in skills.

The last 3 seasons of hunting deer I've gone from "damn shitty" at getting deer close to me to "pretty ok" at getting deer close to me. Getting deer to walk within 20 yards of me undetected is alot of fun. Took a few years of giving up deer drives and spending more time in the woods alone to figure some stuff out.

Basically.....from what's in this video I'll say.......demn that guy can shoot......but can he hunt?

If he knew the range, and practiced at that range - maybe it isn't so hard. Way beyond my abilities, but he seemed confident and had the right equipment, so I'm guessing he put in the work for just this shot. I'm not going to say this guy's shot was easy - but the vitals on a moose are pretty big. If he didn't drop it right there, he's got a pretty big target with a powerful rifle to guarantee a dead moose within a couple hundred yards.

Being a bush pilot,I wonder if he spotted the bull from the air? Scouting from a plane is a big no-no in AK. You are not supposed to hunt on the same day that you arrive at your destination by plane. Also, no rifles are allowed on helicopters. Hunters have been rescued by helicopters and have had to leave their guns behind. Jack.

That is one BS law. I get they don't want people sniping from the air, but come on. If you're being rescued why leave gear behind? Stupid.
Well, As I've been told, hunters get flown into certain places on Kodiak, weather changes, their float plane can't do a landing to get them, they can be rescued by the Coast Guard for 10-15K or wait for as long as it takes. No rifles on the copter. Jack.

“I didn’t fly in with this rifle, I found it when the lake level dropped. Damnedest thing, the lake bed had dozens of ‘em”

awesome shot.. I wouldn't have taken it
1 too far for me, I don't practice anywhere near that distance
2. How the F are you getting it out of there, along with all your camera gear, etc.

Video says how he gets it out. He's got a plane (cub). You have to hike it out in pieces. He said he got some on his own and his brother flew out to help him hike the rest out to the plane.

Being a bush pilot,I wonder if he spotted the bull from the air? Scouting from a plane is a big no-no in AK. You are not supposed to hunt on the same day that you arrive at your destination by plane. Also, no rifles are allowed on helicopters. Hunters have been rescued by helicopters and have had to leave their guns behind. Jack.
No rifles on helos? How is that enforceable?

Well, As I've been told, hunters get flown into certain places on Kodiak, weather changes, their float plane can't do a landing to get them, they can be rescued by the Coast Guard for 10-15K or wait for as long as it takes. No rifles on the copter. Jack.
Ah, so it must be a USCG rule, which wouldn't be a surprise.

No rifles on helos? How is that enforceable?
Probably by the pilot. You go to AK, charter a big helo, fly around till you spot a moose, land in a clearing and go shoot the moose. The pilot and a helper will quarter the moose and get it on board while you smoke a bone or two. Money will get you anything. However, F&G frowns on that. Jack.

They don’t show you the videos they missed completely or maimed and wounded for the sake of views on social media. Keep that in mind.

if i'm within 1000 yds of a moose i generally will wander in and have a shot, maybe play a little keno...oh, wait 🤔

I'm good at that distance so I'm taking the shot. Last muley I shot was at 575 and that was a chip shot. I don't know that most here get into much long range shooting.
My western hunting rig.

1662166566517.jpeg

Probably by the pilot. You go to AK, charter a big helo, fly around till you spot a moose, land in a clearing and go shoot the moose. The pilot and a helper will quarter the moose and get it on board while you smoke a bone or two. Money will get you anything. However, F&G frowns on that. Jack.
I meant legally. The state can regulate taking of game, but they can't regulate what goes on aircraft.

Nope, not me. With the right gun / caliber I could convince myself to take a shot at 350 - 400 yards if it was the shot of a lifetime.

775 is way too far for me.

Awesome shot by this guy.
Well, when you are aiming down hill you only set your hold to ~2/3 of the actual distance. So, in this case, only about 511 yds. Not too far out of your comfort zone. Stretch yourself a little. [laugh]

My friend shot one in Nova Scotia last year, about 740 yards with a 28 Nosler, 1 shot and dropped, the guide questioned his ability right before the shot. The moose burgers were awesome.

Back
Top Bottom