7.62x51 NATO | .308 Rifle Recommendations

True, but a bunch of M80 ammo (Ball) isn't. Some of it is 5 MOA at best.

My Fed Ord gets M80 Ball, the M1A gets M119 or M118LR.

Of course, I load my own, so I get choices others don't.

Most of the rounds that I've put through my M1A were surplus military rounds. The best I had was a bunch of West German ammo, with green sealant around the primers. That stuff is long since gone. My M1A was well under 2 MOA with that stuff.

Wow this thread really took off. I love all the back and forth including the recommendations. I have a few calls/emails to the local shops to see whats in stock. We'll see what happens.

Keep the discussion going - I'm learning a lot.

Isn't that a sign of people not wanting them? People usually don't sell guns they like.

They're expensive guns that're neither real hunting rifles or modern combat rifles, scoping is awkward, and most of them aren't collectible. My assumption is when the bills need to be paid something like that gets sold first. They shoot well for a service rifle and SAI will fix any defect for free. If you're buying one it pays to get something with USGI parts, though. They're all in the $1000-1300 range usually.

As much as I like the guys on the M14 board, most of their discussion is about building period-correct replicas or benchrest guns, and how the M14 is still superior to any other rifle in every way even though they were trying to replace it by 1960. FAL/PTR guys tend to be more "Imma paint some camo on this and screw around in the woods for two weeks."

As much as I like the guys on the M14 board, most of their discussion is about building period-correct replicas or benchrest guns, and how the M14 is still superior to any other rifle in every way even though they were trying to replace it by 1960. FAL/PTR guys tend to be more "Imma paint some camo on this and screw around in the woods for two weeks."

That's been my take on them too.

And heaven forbid if you mention a real benchrest gun there. And, yeah, I've got a few of them too. But, that's natural seeing that I compete in that discipline.

You guys aren't making it easier to make a decision. I keep reading and hearing that semi auto .308's are approaching bolt guns in accuracy but there does not appear to be a clear front runner.

200m-700m?
Idgaf about "period accuracy" or "historical significance" and I have no delusions of clubbing a zombie to death with the butt stock.

The AR-10 is an inherently accurate rifle. The old three (G3/FAL/M14) are very much infantry rifles in their accuracy although the M14 is easier to improve. If you're looking at the cheapest way to hit 1MOA get a $500 bolt gun and call it a day.

I don't know much about AR-10s, but you'll want to do your research. There are several competing parts standards and each has its pros and cons.

That is option #1 and I keep trying to convince myself that somebody else does it better for half the price.

You will spend more building then you will on a gun shop rack gun, but 308's are not like 5.56 guns, there isn't a BCM out there building super guns at a good value. You end up with a rifle built by someone like DPMS and S&W with parts you will want to swap out anyways.

I got in on the receiver sets from AWS, I think they might actually have them on sale again for Christmas, and am down to needing a barrel and picking a hand guard and my 308 carbine is ready to go together. I bought a second stripped upper with the set so I can build something heavier and longer with bigger glass, maybe a different cartridge.

You've got quite different parameters than a 5.56 rifle here.

You really need to ask yourself some hard questions.

How far are you trying to shoot to?

What's the intended purpose?

How much money are you willing to spend?

What's your skill set like? (both shooting ability and building ability)

Make sure to set enough money aside for decent optics. Many people go cheap in this area, and it's never good. On the flip side, thousand dollar optics won't turn a 4 MOA rifle into a 1/2 MOA rifle. But keeping the scope on the same level as the rifle is a good rule.

I will say, right up front, that IF money is an issue, then consider buying a bolt action varmint rifle in the right caliber, then putting a decent scope on it.

You can get a decent, yet fairly reasonable, AR in 5.56.

To get a decent 7.62 semi-auto, it isn't going to be cheap. And, 7.62/308 limits out around 1000 yards, if the rifle is accurate enough. 1000 yards and under, it's a good choice. If you want over 1000, you might want to talk to a few people here, like me, Pat and Derek. I know ammo, long range firearms and bench shooting, they're really good shooters. All 3 of us understand 1000 yards and up.

I'm sure you can call and ask. I've shot one at 300 and it was an absolute tack driver. Combine with a nice piece of glass and 25rd PMAGs, and you've got a gun that can distribute some justice.

If your range is limited to 200 yards, your PMAGs mags to 10 rounds, and you already have an AR15 for SHTF, is there a good justification for a semi auto 7.62?

Cause i want one, just have no justification for it.

I wanted a sass because i love the punch a 308 has long distance vs my ak's 762x39.

Though if i were going to do it over again and be realistic about shooting 700 yards and in on a torso, an M&P 10 with great glass would be the best cost wise.

And if money were no cost.. larue , lwrc repr, scar 17, POF all good guns

Nice, lots of money there! Does Larue actually tell you what ammo they use.?

LaRue does ship with a note that says "Please do not put steel in this rifle; use match grade ammunition only."

They won't ship a rifle if it shoots more than MOA.

If your range is limited to 200 yards, your PMAGs mags to 10 rounds, and you already have an AR15 for SHTF, is there a good justification for a semi auto 7.62? Cause i want one, just have no justification for it.

It is cool. That's all the justification that you need.

To scare the new guys at the range who see it and think it's just another AR. [laugh]

My AR is loud already due to the compensator, 7.62 must really boom with a comp on it?

- - - Updated - - -

Other than it's way more lethal than an AR15?

Thats why I want a SCAR 17, deadly but light enough to be a SHTF rifle.

To get a decent 7.62 semi-auto, it isn't going to be cheap. And, 7.62/308 limits out around 1000 yards, if the rifle is accurate enough. 1000 yards and under, it's a good choice. If you want over 1000, you might want to talk to a few people here, like me, Pat and Derek. I know ammo, long range firearms and bench shooting, they're really good shooters. All 3 of us understand 1000 yards and up.

I appreciate your confidence in me, but to be honest, my experience beyond 600 yds is very limited. I understand the mechanics of it, and what it takes to put a round in the center at that yardage, but I do not have much trigger time at 1000+.

MA AWB takes a lot of the fun out of AR10s.

That's where the Scar comes in, convert FAL mags. I wanted an AR-10 but the mag thing was the real killer for me, and if by chance the AWB disappears in this hell hole, i can get a lower that accepts Pmags.
I'm buying a SCAR for the whole SHTF package, Very accurate for a carbine, low recoil, AR-15 ergonomics, plenty of rail space, sewing machine reliability and light weight.
Im not sure what else can compete with that.?

Last edited:
LaRue does ship with a note that says "Please do not put steel in this rifle; use match grade ammunition only."

They won't ship a rifle if it shoots more than MOA.

I'm curious what the actual test is. How many groups, how many rounds per group. Barrel break in?

That's where the Scar comes in, convert FAL mags. I wanted an AR-10 but the mag thing was the real killer for me, and if by chance the AWB disappears in this hell hole, i can get a lower that accepts Pmags.
I'm buying a SCAR for the whole SHTF package, Very accurate for a carbine, low recoil, AR-15 ergonomics, plenty of rail space, sewing machine reliability and light weight.
Im not sure what else can compete with that.?

Yeah, that's a huge plus in Mass, not sure what other modern 7.62 semiautos have readily available pre-bans - I think Rock River makes one, but the SCAR seems like the perfect SHTF 7.62.

$2800 is a lot to stomach though, and then there's the question of whether to make the folding stock compliant (yuck).

Back
Top Bottom