7.62x51 NATO | .308 Rifle Recommendations

I've already acknowledged my bais......its a space gun....its not even in the same league as a garand or m1a/m14 in terms of durability/reliability

Its not a bad gun and its truly the "Peoples Gun" because of all of its strengths but it will never hold up to the punishment that one of the classic battle rifles will

Operational reliability the scar is a sewing machine and had proven to be. When it comes to external durability and abuse, it's made the same as an AR-15, same materials, and that has proven to be durable since its birth nearly 50 yrs ago.

Just because ur admitting ur bias doesn't make ur story not taste funny with a grain of salt.

But the AR really is a plastic space gun

One good whack to the stock/buffer tube and you've got a one shot wonder

And Arfcom is not a general forum any more than the m14 firing line is

Everyone has a bias here....I know I do but I'll readily acknowledge it

Things that are a pro/con for me may not be for others

If we're talking battle rifles I just dont see the SCAR or AR platform taking the sheer abuse that the M1/M14/PTR/FAL have been shown to be able to take for the last 70 years in some cases

If you want a range/ 3-gun rifle then others may have better/worse/more important features

Everyones got opinions......folks should choose what suits them best but you cant dispute the durability/reliability of the proven classic battle rifles

I wouldnt call an AR durable

Its got a long well documented history of problems

Doesnt deal with sand well

Needs to be cleaned very often

buffer tube bending under rougher use has always been an issue and still is with the possible exception of cases where a traditional stock is mounted

The SCAR hasnt even been around for a decade and there are only limited numbers out there

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!

This is comical.. well documented history of problems??? Hahaha, definitely a hater talking, digging deep. This convo will go nowhere with blinders on ur head.

Last edited:
No one is providing M1A's/M14's any longer and havent for decades

Same with M1 Garand, FAL and others if I am not mistaken

The select fire version of the SCAR is a different animal than the commercial version as well so its again an apples/peas comparison because no one can purchase a version that is comparable to the few that HAVE made it into service in SF and the Belgian mil

But several companies including Smith Ent have been contracted to do armory/refurb work on the M14's that Clinton somehow failed to destroy

You cant get a M14 from the military stock pile even if they gave all they had to the CMP. They can not be registered. Commercial M1a can be had with USGI parts.
Original issue Garands are still readily available through the CMP .

The base LRB also beats the snot out of anything from Springfield Armory not only in receiver construction but parts selection and fit.

I'd put a box stock LRB up against anything from a SCAR to PTR to an AR10 and it will beat the snot out of all of them in terms of accuracy, reliability and durability.....and when you run out of ammo its a great club to beat the head of the enemy in with....try that with a SCAR or AR10.

This doesnt even begin to touch upon the issue of mag and parts avail.

I love and hate the AR platfform....the buffer tube and gas system have always been a source of reliability issued and longevity/durability.

If you're going to spend ~2k and can only have one rifle then the LRB/M14 is at the top of my list

I agree....

All 308 options are awesome.. some cooler for their historic look, others for their tacti-cool ness, others for the idea of americana, some just out there different

i own a AR10, and man is it a heavy SOB.. sig 716 dmr.. but it prints 1/2 moa with cheap ammo.
Ruger 762
S&W MP10
Fn FAL,
G3
Saiga 308
M1a
Scar 17

The only odd exception is the keltec which does not have a good track record.

There are different categories of rifle
Carry carbine
Dmr/bench rifle

Once you pick your use, then go from there

I only know one person who has successfully mounted a scope on a M1a. He hunted down a original brookstone matched with a leupold scope.

I think you mean 'Brookfield Precision Tool' scope mount. You can get the same design from several places but the only one with Brookfield's 'blessing' is the Sadlak mount. Most issues arise because most M14 type rifles out there are the Springfield Inc M1As and many of their receivers are out of spec. Sadlak can custom fit their mounts to these.

I've scoped two of mine... well, an M1A and an M14. I've used an original Brookfield mount and a Sadlak Airborne. My M1A is old and in spec and has all USGI parts. The other one is a Rock-O-La from James River which I built from a bare receiver with all USGI parts except for the bolt and Sadlak spring guide. The scopes can be removed from the mount and replaced while maintaining zero.

I've found the Rock-O-La and LRB receivers to be on par with each other. The Rock-O-La is made by Bula Forge. The Fulton receivers are excellent as well and are cast like the SAi.

I want to get a Bula Forge branded receiver in the future and build up another one...possibly all Bula components once available. [grin]

Last edited:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

There are lots and lots of others that go into greater detail

i think ur getting the wrong impression here. I never said the M4 was without its flaws, or the next coming of Christ, you make it sound like it literally falls apart when It comes in contact with sunlight, let's be reasonable here. But there is also a reason it is still in service, it works well enough to get the job done, hence the reason for it not being replaced, there is no perfect rifle, is there better, yes, if a better rifle is discovered should it be replaced, sure, if it makes sense. There is a lot more to it that just handing everyone new rifles. Personally I'm a big advocate of the piston Ar- I own 2 lwrc's and think they should replace the m4, but truly, from everything I've read, I think the scar should be the go to gun for the military.

Also, Did u know that in those same trials the Scar had the second fewest stoppages behind the XM-8, the 416 if I remember correctly came in 3rd. As we both can see from that link the m4 has its flaws, like the M1A and should be updated, that's exactly where the Scar comes in. I'm all about if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it can be made better, I'm open to seeing what it can do. But for some reason in ur mind the m1a can't be beat, this can't be further from the truth and the new Plastic space toy is capable of doing so. This is about all around capabilities, not just using it to knock people's heads off if u run out of ammo. The scar covers all these categories exceptionally well, I don't think u would enjoy a butt stock to the skull from any gun, and no, I'm sure the buttstock isn't gonna break on a scar.

Change is scary for a lot of people, some more than others.

There are quite a few scope mounts that will work well with the M14. As long as they work on the 3 point design, its pretty foolproof. The only one I know is not optimal is the springfield armory inc. version. Aluminum and steel don't play well together in that role.

I've scoped my Smith Enterprise with an A.R.M.S. #18 to test loads. It works, but honestly I always shot better with the NM sights that are on it.
Edit: I changed out the NM front sight with a standard GI . I just couldn't get a focus on that knife blade.

i think ur getting the wrong impression here. I never said the M4 was without its flaws, or the next coming of Christ, you make it sound like it literally falls apart when It comes in contact with sunlight, let's be reasonable here. But there is also a reason it is still in service, it works well enough to get the job done, hence the reason for it not being replaced, there is no perfect rifle, is there better, yes, if a better rifle is discovered should it be replaced, sure, if it makes sense. There is a lot more to it that just handing everyone new rifles. Personally I'm a big advocate of the piston Ar- I own 2 lwrc's and think they should replace the m4, but truly, from everything I've read, I think the scar should be the go to gun for the military.

Also, Did u know that in those same trials the Scar had the second fewest stoppages behind the XM-8, the 416 if I remember correctly came in 3rd. As we both can see from that link the m4 has its flaws, like the M1A and should be updated, that's exactly where the Scar comes in. I'm all about if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it can be made better, I'm open to seeing what it can do. But for some reason in ur mind the m1a can't be beat, this can't be further from the truth and the new Plastic space toy is capable of doing so. This is about all around capabilities, not just using it to knock people's heads off if u run out of ammo. The scar covers all these categories exceptionally well, I don't think u would enjoy a butt stock to the skull from any gun, and no, I'm sure the buttstock isn't gonna break on a scar.

Change is scary for a lot of people, some more than others.

I think you hit the nail on the head M4 is good enough for GI. Key word there "good enough" I would say the number one reason the M4 has not been replaced is the simple fact that its cheap for the military to have manufactured for them.

theres so many aspects of "the Rifle" the old guys frowned on the m1 when it was coming to replace the 1903s, the M14 to some was a solution to a non problem and the m16 was just plastic junk.
Now think about what a issued rifle is suposed to do... minute of man out to XXX yards

I think you mean 'Brookfield Precision Tool' scope mount. You can get the same design from several places but the only one with Brookfield's 'blessing' is the Sadlak mount. Most issues arise because most M14 type rifles out there are the Springfield Inc M1As and many of their receivers are out of spec. Sadlak can custom fit their mounts to these.

I've scoped two of mine... well, an M1A and an M14. I've used an original Brookfield mount and a Sadlak Airborne. My M1A is old and in spec and has all USGI parts. The other one is a Rock-O-La from James River which I built from a bare receiver with all USGI parts except for the bolt and Sadlak spring guide. The scopes can be removed from the mount and replaced while maintaining zero.

I've found the Rock-O-La and LRB receivers to be on par with each other. The Rock-O-La is made by Bula Forge. The Fulton receivers are excellent as well and are cast like the SAi.

I want to get a Bula Forge branded receiver in the future and build up another one...possibly all Bula components once available. [grin]

I think your right...his gun was a national match build from the early 80s. I forget who built it. I want to say National Match Armory ? As he got older he said he couldnt see the sights anymore and started looking for mounts and scopes....tis was about 10 years ago

Then they take a springfield m1a and shove it in a troy chassis as the representative M14/M1A?

Comedy

I didn't get that far: As soon as I saw their "M4" test bed I knew the rest was garbage.

Listen, there have been plenty of torture tests run on the M4 both by the Army and by Internet commandos. In fact, there is a thread on Arfcom by a Vegas shooting range that puts hundreds of thousands of rounds through their rifles every year. If you want to learn about durability that is a damn good place to start.

My life does not depend on my rifle so I am more concerned with accuracy than putting 200,000 rounds through it.

Kind of a bitch to mount a scope to reach out to 700m isn't it thought?

Not really all that hard to do. Though a good shooter really doesn't need optics for that range, at least to hit. To properly identify the target, different story.

Easy solution: don't scope it and still shoot accurately out there.

Yup, though one of mine (early Fed Ord) is usually scoped, the other (M1A Loaded) usually wears just irons. That may change though, but the M1A will get a Brookfield style mount and a Leupold Mark 4 scope.

I wouldnt call an AR durable

Its got a long well documented history of problems

That hasn't been my experience. Though I'm no great espoused gun expert, I'll wager I have a bunch more experience than said "experts" in real world experience with "AR's". Yes, I currently own a few of them. But, I've been shooting them since 1972, and you've been paying for the ammo (taxes). I personally think the experts are wrong. Figure over 35 years experience with the "AR" in real world use. The problems with the AR-15 were caused by a long line of BS and bad misconceptions. They're like every other gun, they need occasional cleaning. They really don't need to be spotless either. And, using the wrong powder in the ammo can cause problems. In other words, they are just as subject to "operator failure" as any other system.

That history of documented problems exists. I can expand on that, and will, if need be. Suffice it to say, there's also a long well documented history of the things that were done to fix those problems. And they were done mostly before 1970. Most, if not all, of the problems were due to indifference, denial, lies and cheapness by government members. Robert McNamara and his idiot "whiz kids" should have been dragged into the street and shot over it.

That said, my experience with others using AR-10's is this. They weren't fully developed to get the flaws out. They have reliability issues that are largely caused by the magazines. They break down easily. Some of that has been fixed. So, they are an accurate rifle, and mount optics well. So, they make a decent distance gun, at least in theory. Give me a year, and I can tell you for sure what I think. I'm building my son an AR-10 in 308/7.62 and myself one in 6.5x47 Lapua. We're looking for different distances, so that's why 2 different calibers. And. yeah, I do know what real accurate rifles are, I've got some boltguns that would make people's jaws drop, accuracy wise.

So, my choice is the M14 type platform. And, by the way, forged isn't always better than cast, contrary to what's out there online. Some Springfield's are OK, others not so much. Mine is one of the better ones.

There are quite a few scope mounts that will work well with the M14. As long as they work on the 3 point design, its pretty foolproof. The only one I know is not optimal is the springfield armory inc. version. Aluminum and steel don't play well together in that role.

I've scoped my Smith Enterprise with an A.R.M.S. #18 to test loads. It works, but honestly I always shot better with the NM sights that are on it.
Edit: I changed out the NM front sight with a standard GI . I just couldn't get a focus on that knife blade.

I've gotten a Springfield type mount to work OK, though I'd never buy another one. Pat is right, aluminum mount on a steel receiver just doesn't play well. Next one is going to be a Brookfield type mount. They're out there, they aren't cheap. Cheap doesn't work so good in this case, just like a scope.

And, M1911, add another person you know that has successfully scoped an M14 clone. It isn't always easy, but it has been done.

Depends on what youre using it for.

M1As suck unless they are used with iron sights, anything else is either too heavy or needs a cheek riser. I have 2 m1as and love them, but dont try putting a scope on it or finding a reliable, comfortable red dot mounting solution. And the chassises suck. If this thread was posted 5 years ago id be all about the M1A but ive played with them enough to realize the truth.

FALs are badass, ive always wanted one for the cool factor but as others mentioned they have flaws

The SCAR seems like a great platform, lots of modularity, light shooting, good optics mounting platform, much lighter than the others. Only downside i have heard of is FNs customer support is a little weak.

Id buy a SCAR in a second if i was in the market for a .308 BR all over again.

Actually, my M1A has a Picatinny type upper handguard, which works fine with my Aimpoint CompM4 red dot.

I'll agree, most people want a riser or a different stock to use a scope. I'm not one of them, I can work with it as is.

Weight is a matter of relativity and what you're used to. If weight is an issue, and I'm in the woods, then I use an AR-15 (16") or Rem 600 in 257 Roberts.

Actually, my M1A has a Picatinny type upper handguard, which works fine with my Aimpoint CompM4 red dot.

I'll agree, most people want a riser or a different stock to use a scope. I'm not one of them, I can work with it as is.

Weight is a matter of relativity and what you're used to. If weight is an issue, and I'm in the woods, then I use an AR-15 (16") or Rem 600 in 257 Roberts.

Chin welding like a mofo?

Which handguard ultimak? I direct mounted an aimpoint t1 to the m1a scout, had it on for 5 minutes before i threw it away. The guns are too shootable with irons and too much of a pain to put glass/dots on to be worth it to me

And, M1911, add another person you know that has successfully scoped an M14 clone. It isn't always easy, but it has been done.

I know it can be done successfully. It isn't as easy as putting a scope on a flat-top AR-10, but it is my understanding that the M1A Sadlak mounts work.

The Brookfield mount was one of the first really successful scope mount for the M14 and i has been copied by a few companies such as Sadlak. You mount it and leave it...simple. BPT has had Mike Sadlak up to his shop to show him other items like his op rod spring guide which Sadlak now makes and many of his jigs used to correct SAi receivers as well. If you ask BPT about a scope mount you will be pointed to the Sadlak.

With a slight change in hold you are either looking down the scope or under it where you can utilize the stock iron sights.

If you are buying a new receiver, barreled action or complete rifle and you want to scope it then Rock-O-La, LRB and Bula Forge make M14 receivers with integral picatiny mounts.

The stuff is out there to scope an M14 easily and well.

Last edited:
So no LaRue QD mounts for the M14?

We have a steel silhouette at 200m with flippers for the heart & eye box. When they are open, there is only 1.5" showing and my eyesight is not good enough to see and hit that with irons. I need magnification and the moar the better (I use 1-6x & 2-10x scopes). One of the ranges is expanding to 700m and while I could see a fully painted silhouette at 700m, no way I could ID my target or hit a flipper.

I'm thinking that a bolt rifle may be a better choice for the immediate future than a 1 MOA semi.

The carrier is differmt due to the fun switch, it has some extra cuts, etc etc. for tht reason, that's it. Same with an Ar, the bcg is slightly different to acomadate the select fire option, everything else is the same.

The space gun bias is still in plane sight. I'm taking ur opinion with a grain of salt after ur "plastic space gun" comment, and this is a general forum.

Apples and pease is like comparing the ACR to the Scar. It's a cheaper version. The Springfield is the cheaper version of a custom m1a.

Ar vs m4/m16 bolt carrier are the same .
The semi auto bcg came from colt and others freaking out all most no one makes the sp1 style bolts that work with lighting links. The other style semi bolt that are made are still produced is because some people prefer a lighter bolt to soften felt recoil . The thing about ar is the bcg doesn't make it select fire by it self .
Same with a ak. Not all places mill off the fa sear tripper on the side .

Other guns the reason they have semi auto bolts are for two reasons. 1st the bolt design makes it really easy to convert to full auto .
The other reason cost to manufacture . Some guns the bolt needs more machining steps to make it work in full auto guns.
For a example a square bolt might need a slot milled for the sear to be tripped by . If you remove that one cut you cut the cycle time down on a Cnc . So when a company dose a run of bolt they could get 1 more batch machined in a normal work day vs the full auto bolts .

So no LaRue QD mounts for the M14?

The mount is adding a Picatinny rail to the rifle so pretty much anything that will attach to the rail will, well, attach to the rail.

The only problem I ran into is with my AimPoint PRO in that the tightening knob interferes with the 'shelf' on the left side of the Brookfield type mounts.

Last edited:
I'd just get the SCAR if you want a reliable .308 platform with easy optics mounting.
If you don't mind fiddling with a gas system then I would recommend a Kel Tec RFB over a FAL/clone. It's a lighter, shorter platform that's fully ambidextrous, well-balanced, and has a great stock trigger. You won't have to fiddle with the gas system if you never change ammunition. The hunter (24" bbl) version is slightly more accurate than the carbine (18" bbl) due to a thicker center segment of the barrel.

Isn't that a sign of people not wanting them? People usually don't sell guns they like.

I think many hold them to a higher level and when the Nato milspec ammo and thier SA inc rifle dont shoot much better than 4 moa they are sad.

Back
Top Bottom