6 Dead, Dying, and Soon-To-Be-Obsolete Handgun Cartridges. Agree?

I'll agree with all 6.

Trying to find that stuff at a retail counter is waste of time. Which I think is what the point is. I'll even add to that.

Show me what a 38 spl/ .357 mag / 41 mag/ .44 spl/ .44 mag can do that a 10mm can't.

I'll agree with all 6.

Trying to find that stuff at a retail counter is waste of time. Which I think is what the point is. I'll even add to that.

Show me what a 38 spl/ .357 mag / 41 mag/ .44 spl/ .44 mag can do that a 10mm can't.
.38spl fits into pocket size revolvers.

.357mag is used in lever action rifles.

As much as I like 10mm, it isn't touching .44mag

I'll agree with all 6.

Launch a 300 grain jsp at 1200fps. (44 mag)

Fit in a revolver I can stick in my pocket (38 spec)

I would replace the .40 w/ the .357 sig...

The .40 ain't going anywhere... Lots of pistols out there chambered for it after decades of supreme popularity. Also in mag restricted states where capacity is limited.... it makes a lot of sense. What are you going to carry... 10 rounds of 9mm, 10 rounds of .40, or 7/8 rounds of .45? I know what I would choose.

Calibers come in and out of popularity like fashion... The 9mm may be coming back around, but eventually, that will change. It always does.. I think having a few guns chambered for the big 3.... 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP, is the best all around way to go.... IMHO.

I ain't selling my .40... That's all I'll say... Those advances in ammo tech that have the 9mm gaining in popularity again.... those advances aren't exclusive to that cartridge....

I happened to be looking at the Just Right Carbines page and noticed this graph. I'm not surprised by the tiny share of .357 Sig, but I expected 10mm to be a bit more popular for a PCC.
1650823727525.png

Calibers come in and out of popularity like fashion... The 9mm may be coming back around, but eventually, that will change. It always does..
120 years of 9mm disagree with you. 9mm is not going anywhere and it will be around for its 150th, 160th, 170th anniversary.

Some cartridges are just good. 9mm is one of those.

I've never fired a .40 and couldn't care less about it, but I see all the hate it gets and it makes me wonder. I don't think it's going anywhere. I think .40S&W will be around longer than 10mm.

Of that list, the only one I have a lot of experience with is .32ACP, and yes: it's on its way out. If not already gone. The development of compacts and subcompacts that can handle 9mm Luger was the final nail in the .32 coffin. Next stop: .380.

.38spl fits into pocket size revolvers.

.357mag is used in lever action rifles.

As much as I like 10mm, it isn't touching .44mag

Launch a 300 grain jsp at 1200fps. (44 mag)

Fit in a revolver I can stick in my pocket (38 spec)

This guys referring to retail stuff. Like when you used to be able to go into Woolorths and pick it up. Not what you reload. Not what we reload.
Whens the last time you heard someone say "I just picked up a brand new .32 mag?" That thing went the way of the dodo one .327 fed mag came out, and even that things a footnote.
Yes, 38 spl fits into pocket revolvers. So does 9mm. S&W even makes a 7shot snub L frame
Who buys 300 gr .44 mag? Whens the last time you saw someone walk into giant-sport-box-store-x and say " Boy I'd really like to spend a paycheck on a a box of 20 silhouette loads"
Can you stuff 10 of em in a tupperware framed bottom feed?
.38 super is obsolete, still saw a metric ass-ton of it at shoots.

Its a 15 year market analysis. Those 6 cartridges listed are niche cartridges. A pallet of 9mm will sell faster than half a case of .38 spl or .44 mag.
All thousand rounds of my 38 spl ammo, obsolete. Doesn't mean I'm not going to shoot and reload it.
All two thousand rounds of .45 acp, borderline obsolete. Don't care.
300 rounds of .357- ob-so-leet. Doesn't mean I'm not going to launch them out of my obsolete levergun.
250 rounds of .45 auto-rim, gone the way of the dinosaur, but they run out of my 625.

This guys referring to retail stuff. Like when you used to be able to go into Woolorths and pick it up. Not what you reload. Not what we reload.
Whens the last time you heard someone say "I just picked up a brand new .32 mag?" That thing went the way of the dodo one .327 fed mag came out, and even that things a footnote.
Yes, 38 spl fits into pocket revolvers. So does 9mm. S&W even makes a 7shot snub L frame
Who buys 300 gr .44 mag? Whens the last time you saw someone walk into giant-sport-box-store-x and say " Boy I'd really like to spend a paycheck on a a box of 20 silhouette loads"

Its a 15 year market analysis. Those 6 cartridges listed are niche cartridges. A pallet of 9mm will sell faster than half a case of .38 spl or .44 mag.
All thousand rounds of my 38 spl ammo, obsolete. Doesn't mean I'm not going to shoot and reload it.
300 rounds of .357- ob-so-leet. Doesn't mean I'm not going to launch them out of my obsolete levergun.
250 rounds of .45 auto-rim, gone the way of the dinosaur, but they run out of my 625.
I honestly don't know what your definition of "obsolete" is then. A ton of people regularly shoot .38spl, .44mag, .45acp, and .357mag and all of them are widely available in any store. Hell, I carry two of them. None of them were on the list in the OP btw so you're the only one calling these rounds obsolete.

I'll agree with all 6.

Get you a date with a woman.

Seriously though

Be found in every gun store with proper loads. Every factory 10mm I’ve shot that wasn’t boutique stuff is loaded to 40 cal type loads. Weaksauce.

Get you a date with a woman.

Seriously though

Be found in every gun store with proper loads. Every factory 10mm I’ve shot that wasn’t boutique stuff is loaded to 40 cal type loads. Weaksauce.
That's a good point - I had to search for and order "real" 10mm; most widely available loads are basically just .40 as you said.

Your being a but obtuse my friend.

Do you hunt? A 300 grain 44 mag is a damn fine deer cartridge. One of my goals next season is to take a deer with a handgun. Stop thinking only in terms of "self defense"......

The article was written a year ago, smack in the middle of the worst ammo shortage we've had in decades. One has to wonder: was this article written so that some exec at Vista Outdoors would ignore the numbers and listen to this "journalist" and order all production switch away from these calibers.

For caliber obsolescence, I follow the BassPro/Cabela's Ammo Index. The index is simple:
  • Look at calibers on the shelves at the store when there is no shortage. Do it with multiple visits over a period of several months, not a single visit.
    • Excess production ammo will clog up shelves. This indicates plenty of manufacturers consider this caliber important, which they base on a decade worth of gun sales data.
    • Ammo in small quantities but always in stock indicates that caliber is not popular and there are few users. Stay away from these calibers
    • Ammo that's in short supply even when there is no shortage is a niche caliber. 10mm, 357Sig, 5.7x29. If you want to use these calibers, learn to reload.
  • Look at calibers in stores when there is a shortage.
    • Ammo that's popular will stay on shelves for a while but will disappear, even super expensive self-defense ones. This is how you know we're experiencing an ammo shortage.
    • Ammo with excess capacity will stay on shelves long after other popular calibers have dried up. For example, Cabelas was carrying 40 months after 9mm disappeared. This is the caliber you want to have for your "ammo shortage gun".
    • Ammo that comes in spurts but in large quantities is an indication that a factory is shutting down production of that caliber and will only come back to it when there is demand.
Based on what I've seen, 40S&W is an excellent "ammo shortage caliber". 40 seems to be available longer than 45 or 9 whenever we got through a shortage. This is why still keep a Glock 23. Another reason is that I own G23 barrels both 40 and 9.

Why does 40 S&W get all the hate but 10mm gets praised from the high heavens for being the same thing, just a little longer.
It's not even really the cartridge that is hated the most (its just another cartridge, it's actually not that bad, even if its reason for existing is 110% stupid, you could carry many worse things) it's more about the GSC type .40 acolytes that are still living in the 90s, clinging to their marshall and sanow test pdf and that Strasbourg goat test paperwork (for the thing withe the goat shootings that never happened)

Basically most of them are like that kid at the bus stop who keeps punching himself in the nuts because his friends told him it'd make his junk bigger... and the kid actually believed them. He only stopped when he woke up and noticed his nuts hurt but his thing wasn't actually bigger. But that takes years, or even a decade for a typical gsc .40 fornicator.

"Hurr durr knockdown powar!!!!!"
"Hurr durr usin a caliber dat starts with FOAR!!!!"
"Hurr durr pooooleece and effbeeye!!!! Use it!!!!!!!!!"
" 40 si bettar!!!! Even tho I don’t care if it was all based on junk science! Durrrrrr!!!! Pppppppppppbtttttttt!!!!!!!"
".40 is better because cuck nanny state 10rd capacity excuse!!!!!!!!!!!! You're just a POOP HEAD if u disagree!!!!! even tho im a self proclaimed fag for getting rapt about capacity!!!!"

"Gun Shop Commando m Odoyle, Lover of 40 SW, also smelled own farts and got high from it"

View: https://youtu.be/1eXSIsNS4tw

Eta: if they had survived that, all those kids would have owned a 40. And carried it in a nylon gun shop holster.

Back
Top Bottom