6.8 Rem SPC

After WWI a study was made to choose a semi auto battle rifle. The group given this task recommended a rifle in .28 caliber with a 20 round box mag, among other things. The brass couldn't stand the idea of a mag extending below the stock (supposedly it would get in the way) and .28 caliber was nixed because of the millions of rounds of 30'06 still in inventory. The end result was the M1, a great rifle hampered (some say ruined) by its eight round clip.

Its ironic that, seventy years later, we are again considering .28 caliber for our battle rifle. Maybe this time we'll get it right.

I know two people who have AR's in 6.8 and love it. They are casual plinkers at 50-300yds, so anything that breaks a clay pigeon is fine in their book. They say accuracy was good. I haven't heard any reviews from somebody who has done serious target work, long range, or hunting with it.
I think it would make a great medium-range deer hunting round.

There's a thread over at the Lightfighter Tactical forum in the primary weapons section the last time I looked on the 6.8 SPC. Find the address on Google to get there.

Joe R.

Now I don,t know if I'm getting the rifle. Kevin over at NET knows I have been looking for one so when the distributor had them in stock he let me know and I told him to order it. A couple of days later he calls me back and tells me it's not MA OK cuz it comes with a 26 round mag and has the evil bayo lug. So they are tryingto get me a MA version[frown]. God this state blows....

I hear the 6.5 Grendel is more accurate, less effected by wind, and beats the .308 in long distance. I have heard the 6.8 SPC is not very accurate past 300. They are both better than the 5.56 within 300, though.

I may consider one in my future.

http://www.65grendel.com/

Xak: much of the information about 6.5 Grendel comes from one source: Alexander Arms, which developed 6.5 Grendel. I suggest that you consider the source when reading their hype.

After WWI a study was made to choose a semi auto battle rifle. The group given this task recommended a rifle in .28 caliber ......
Its ironic that, seventy years later, we are again considering .28 caliber for our battle rifle. Maybe this time we'll get it right.

The cartridge that the Garand was originally intended to use was the .276 Pederson. It was very similar to the modern 7mm08 and just a shade larger than the 6.8mm SPC.

IMHO, the 6.8mm SPC looks like it would be an ideal deer/coyote class cartridge, if chambered in a lightweight bolt action rifle.

Jack

Why would you want an AR thats even more expensive to shoot? Brass 223 is already $500 a case, and there's no steel case 6.8 in sight.

6.8 is hard to find, expensive, uses different mags and a different bolt. Seems like the positives of the caliber, and there are a few, are totally and completely overshadowed by the negatives... Especially if its a plinking gun!

If you want an odd-ball AR, get something really weird like 458 SOCOM or 338 Spectre. :)

--EasyD

Why would you want an AR thats even more expensive to shoot? Brass 223 is already $500 a case, and there's no steel case 6.8 in sight.

6.8 is hard to find, expensive, uses different mags and a different bolt. Seems like the positives of the caliber, and there are a few, are totally and completely overshadowed by the negatives... Especially if its a plinking gun!

It's not for plinking. It is for two-legged varmints, for which 6.8 is likely to be far more suitable than 5.56.

Why would you want an AR thats even more expensive to shoot?

--EasyD

If I was worried about how much it costs I should have taken knitting up as a hobby. [wink]

Actually, I ordered the upper direct from Bushmaster. Should have it in a couple of weeks. Components are not that hard to find either, it's just getting them here that's the problem. As to why............ Why not!

Last edited:
Xak: much of the information about 6.5 Grendel comes from one source: Alexander Arms, which developed 6.5 Grendel. I suggest that you consider the source when reading their hype.

While the source may seem biased, when you run the numbers on an impartial ballistics program (even making conservative assumptions about muzzle velocity) the 6.8 SPC comes up short compared to the 6.5 Grendel at almost any distance.

As for the 6.5 Grendel shooting flatter than a 308, I doubt it. [laugh] Certainly not flatter than my 308 loads lobbing 155 grain Palma match bullets at nearly 3K fps. There is no way any 6.5 bullet, regardless of how good its BC may be, is going to match my load's trajectory when going nearly 400 fps slower.

Now if you want a 6.5 mm terror, look no further than the 260 Remington and the 6.5X55 Mauser. Altough neither will work in an AR, they will work in any bolt action. The 260 will also work in AR-10 sized rifles, and it is possible the 6.5X55 will too. While many consider the 6.5x55 pokey, they do so considering only the anemic factory loads meant to avoid blowing up old surplus M96 Swedish Army rifles. When you handload the 6.5x55 to the same pressure limits as 308-based loads, it is a screamer with something like the Sierra Match King 123 or Match King 142.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DPMS has an AR Rifle chambered or the 260. Not sure if it's an AR10 size rifle or a AR15 size.

That would be in the AR10 family. I came that close (holding fingers an inch apart) to getting a .260 barrel for my DPMS while out at Camp Perry this summer. I probably should have gone ahead and done it, but the .308 barrel shoots so well.

Don't forget the current "big man on campus": the 6.5-.284.

Yeah, but too much of a barrel burner. I think you can get 95% of its performance with the old fashioned 6.5x55 with at least double the barrel life. Especially so if you use a cool burning powder like H1000 and a 30" barrel.

260 barrel

Before I bought my DPMS 308 longrange I called the factory to request one in 260. The tech said they had many requests already and were planning to start production soon. When I asked to be put on a list to get one, he advised i probably wouldn't see it for a year or more. They were 9 months to a year behind on 308 orders! I ran into a 308 one quite by accident and bought it on the spot. Never regret it a minute, but would like to rebarrel for 260 also. Who had the barrels, are they ready to bolt to the 308, and how much were they?

Who had the barrels, are they ready to bolt to the 308, and how much were they?

It was DPMS themselves who had the barrels, early August of 2007. They were chambered, 24", came with the gas block, bolt included, for, I think around $500. Pretty easy, straightforward barrel swap. I don't know if that was a special price while they were out there at Camp Perry or not. I thought it was a little on the pricey side, so I didn't get one.

The cartridge that the Garand was originally intended to use was the .276 Pederson. It was very similar to the modern 7mm08 and just a shade larger than the 6.8mm SPC.

IMHO, the 6.8mm SPC looks like it would be an ideal deer/coyote class cartridge, if chambered in a lightweight bolt action rifle.

Jack

Maybe deer, but way, WAY too big for coyote. The .17 Remington has been the leader there, with .204 Ruger picking up some business since it came out. The .223, .22-250, and .22 Hornet are also a little back in the pack. The newest, and most likely to displace the .17 Remington is the new Remington, the .17 Fireball! The ones I like is the .19 Calhoon and the .20 VarTarg. Google should find all of these if you're interested.

I think DPMS has an AR Rifle chambered or the 260. Not sure if it's an AR10 size rifle or a AR15 size.
JP (http://www.jprifles.com) has an AR10 style rifle available in both .308 and .260. In generally, if you have to ask "which one?" you're better off with the .308 :). I told JP to build mine in .308, and I'll pick out the barrel configuration (length, weight) at the Shot Show.

JP (http://www.jprifles.com) has an AR10 style rifle available in both .308 and .260. In generally, if you have to ask "which one?" you're better off with the .308 :). I told JP to build mine in .308, and I'll pick out the barrel configuration (length, weight) at the Shot Show.

A friend of mine has a JP AR15. Freakin' tack driver.

A friend of mine has a JP AR15. Freakin' tack driver.
There is no "JP AR15" :). They have the "JP15" which looks a lot like an AR15 (something about looking like a duck and quacking like a duck comes to mine); the CTR-02 which is a much more finely finished unit; and the V-Tac with a more tactical/utilitarian approach.

I've got no idea what the model number is on his gun. But it was made by JP Enterprises and it is an AR-15 style space gun, chambered in .223. And it is incredibly accurate. The muzzle brake is quite loud, however.

Same thing. They are great rifles. [wink]

Maybe deer, but way, WAY too big for coyote. The .17 Remington has been the leader there, with .204 Ruger picking up some business since it came out. The .223, .22-250, and .22 Hornet are also a little back in the pack. The newest, and most likely to displace the .17 Remington is the new Remington, the .17 Fireball! The ones I like is the .19 Calhoon and the .20 VarTarg. Google should find all of these if you're interested.

Why would it be too big for yotes?

Dead is dead.

Smaller hole= less sewing
There is not a whole lot of yote shooting here in Ohio, but when I lived in Kansas, most people shot coyotes because they are calf killing vermin. They didn't care if they pelt got vaporized. They just want the dogs dead. The carcasses were usually left where they fell to feed the turkey vultures and hawks.

Back
Top Bottom