• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.44 Magnum revolvers - which one?

Looking at two used .44 mag revolvers. Which one to choose?

a) S&W 629-5, 6.5" SS BBL, original wood grips, pre-lock, asking price is $750

b) Ruger Super Blackhawk, 7.5" SS BBL, F.O. sights & leather holster, asking $625

Comments? Preferences?

a) Which one is the better deal?
b) Which one is the better gun?

1) have not looked at either yet in person, so assume same condition
2) This will be a range gun (not self defense)
3) Almost certain I can shoot .44 special cartridges, can the brain trust confirm? (indoor range rules prohibit magnum rounds).
4) Would it be possible to add scope/optics in the future?, and if yes, what would that entail?

Looking forward to your replies :)
I got my superblack hawk at north shore firearms for 300. The original 3 screw at that. Of course they were selling it as a 357... lols

I am also in Westford and have both. You're welcome to shoot them and see which one you like best. They recoil differently and the Ruger is better for very heavy loads.

[QUOTE="Asaltweapon, po]
I also have a SBH with I think a 10" that was reworked with a very nice trigger that I was given as a gift.

I prefer the S&W.
Somebody put a reel on it and gave the gift of a fly rod?

Nice of them..[/QUOTE]

Small compared to my T/C Super 14 also in 44mag. Another treasured gift from a good friend.

I prefer double action revolvers, and I also like the consistently excellent feel of the S&W single action trigger. So I would get the 629. If you might want to put an optic on it, you should make sure to get a model where the topstrap is drilled and tapped from the factory. All larger framed S&W revolver have been drilled and tapped for more than 15 years.

I don't like the grip shape of most single actions for shooting heavy loads, but I have found that a single action with a Bisley style grip is actually quite nice with full power rounds. Not everyone agrees with me on this issue, but many people do. If you lean toward a single action, I recommend handling or shooting a Bisley style grip before making your choice.

Talk about kicking your self, about a year back Four Season had the 44 mag S&W PC hunter with scope under $1,000 new. Took to long to think about it and they sold out.

I agree with straightshooterjake. One of my Rugers has a Bisley grip frame and it's much more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads than the Superblackhawk.

51EDED7F-7C31-472C-902F-5D4F0BDCAFFE.jpeg Swung by shooting supply for my Father’s Day gift tradition. Left with the Redhawk 44 last year. I fondled the Blackhawk. Nice pistol but I saw this little llama xv 22 I had to have. It’s so cool. All metal mini 1911.

Attachments

• 32BDC977-0569-416C-8C16-DD6485E4C33D.jpeg
    32BDC977-0569-416C-8C16-DD6485E4C33D.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2
carl at FS has a 629-5 7.5" barrel (pre-lock) looks like in good shape, $750. if i were in the market for another 629 i would grab that one. shameless plug I also have a 629-6 classic here in the classifieds for under $700. it has a jack weigand rear sight too, way better than factory! /shameless plug

150145_01_lg_1_0_0.jpg

upload_2018-6-16_18-7-39.png

50'. Off Hand. And I know what you are thinking... there are only 5 holes? Look closely.

Back
Top Bottom