44 mag Flame belching round

Reviving this thread as I just ordered a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" and while I wait for it to arrive, I've made some loads.
23 gr H110
Montana Gold 240 gr JSP
Starline brass
1.610" COL

I know with H110/296 you need a strong crimp so I after threading in the Lee FCD until it touches the shell plate, I made 1 more full turn. Does this look like enough crimp? I know the best way to know is to shoot them but I can't until the gun arrives, hopefully next week.

I pulled a few bullets which only required 2 firm whacks with the inertia bullet puller. My 357 loads required much more effort to pull the bullets so that's why I wasn't sure if the crimp on these 44s is sufficient. You can see a small amount of the edge of the case mouth folded into the cannelure.

The last round on the right in the second and third photo is a factory PPU 240 gr JHP which doesn't seem to have much of a noticeable crimp. Anyway, just wanted to see others had to say. View attachment 121006View attachment 121007View attachment 121008

I'm assuming because the .357 bullets are much lighter they required more force to remove with the hammer. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

I'm assuming because the .357 bullets are much lighter they required more force to remove with the hammer. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Hah, didn't even think of that. Seems to make sense. I'm not even sure the force required to pull the bullet is really any measurement of the crimp but thought I'd mention it.

How much exactly is a S&W 500 go for ? The S&W website does not have a MSRP on this. [rolleyes]

I think I paid $900 (used but like new) for mine, but that was a few years ago. Last time I was in Collector's in Stoneham they had one in the case but I don't remember the asking price, and that was months ago.

If you want to actually shoot the thing without going bankrupt you'll want to load for it, and preferably cast for it as well. Factory ammo is hard to find at most local gun shops and stupid expensive when you do find it. (Not much cheaper online either.)

EDIT: Just realized I replied to a 2 year old post. Derp.

Last edited:
296 is not easily found these days.

Sure it is! I bought all the 296 and H110 I could carry a few weeks ago at D&L in Warwick. $22 per pound.

I had never seen so much powder before. It was stocked floor to ceiling all at good prices. They also had Titegroup, Lil Gun, Varget, 4350, 4895, 700x to name a few. Some were available in 1/4/8lb containers too.

Last edited:
Sure it is! I bought all the 296 and H110 I could carry a few weeks ago at D&L in Warwick. $22 per pound.

I had never seen so much powder before. It was stocked floor to ceiling all at good prices. They also had Titegroup, Lil Gun, Varget, 4350, 4895, 700x to name a few. Some were available in 1/4/8lb containers too.

Recently? They haven't had it for quite a while and they didn't have any 3 weeks ago.

Recently? They haven't had it for quite a while and they didn't have any 3 weeks ago.

Ya. I just checked my phone and I went there on November 13. So it was actually less than 3 weeks ago. That's crazy if it's all been sold because they had cases of it everywhere.

If you want to actually shoot the thing without going bankrupt you'll want to load for it, and preferably cast for it as well. Factory ammo is hard to find at most local gun shops and stupid expensive when you do find it. (Not much cheaper online either.)

EDIT: Just realized I replied to a 2 year old post. Derp.

One other option is the .460 S&W Magnum. With everything other than huge heavyweight bullets, its comparable to a .500. Plus for deer sized game, it shoots flatter and for practice rounds you can use .45 ACP bullets. Nice and cheap.

You can also use .45 Colt or even .454 Casull brass. With Casull brass, you can still make up some beastly loads with brass that costs 1/2 of what .460 brass costs.

Don

p.s. My .460 is over 6 lbs with a scope. About what my Browning A-Bolt micro weighs.

I'm convinced that this is why most people buy the .50.

In a lot of ways the .460 is superior. How's a 360 gr bullet moving at 1900 FPS work for you?

How about a 350 grain Sierra Game King at 1912? (One of my favorite .500 loads.)

Personally I don't see the benefit of a .460 over a .500.

You kindof made my point. Pretty much the same weight bullet running at pretty much the same speed.

I don't want to get into a caliber war. They are both great guns. If you value the ability to reload for a lot less money, then the .460 is better. You can use much cheaper .454 casul brass and .45 ACP bullets and still get some serious power.

For farting around, you can use .45 colt brass.

If you just want to go to the range once every 6 months and marvel at the flash, bang, and recoil, then by all means, get a .50. Or if you just want to make a bigger hole. Or maybe want something that can go through any large game in North America . . .Lengthwise, then a .50 shooting an absurdly heavy bullet makes a lot of sense.

Lets face it, none of us needs a gun like this chambered in either .460 or .500. Its all about fun. For me, reloading is half the fun, and reloading for the .460 is much cheaper.

Don

I'm convinced that this is why most people buy the .50.

In a lot of ways the .460 is superior. How's a 360 gr bullet moving at 1900 FPS work for you?

But you can't shoot this out of a 460, LOL

700 grain bullet.
700%20gr%20-%203-s.jpg

Nope. I can't.

Thats why I mentioned the super heavy 500s.

I tried to plug that into Quickload to see how much volume was left in the cartridge and it doesn't even have anything near that bullet weight. Its actually pretty deficient. It only goes to 250 gr for the .460 and 350 for the .500

Last edited:

Stopped by today. They now have less of it.

By the way, they still had less than 3 cases of 1lb's. I opened case number 1 and took some.

Stopped by today. They now have less of it.

By the way, they still had less than 3 cases of 1lb's. I opened case number 1 and took some.

Nice! Glad you were able to grab some.

That's crazy they only had less than 3 cases left.

Uh . . . no.

It can't. Since at 700 gr, its more than TWICE the weight of the 340 gr buffalo bore bullets you just bought.

Yes, I'm amazed also. Wow.

Yes I was exagerrating that it could take down a whale lol. Also I meant the bullet shape/profile looked similar to the buffalo bore rounds I bought so I wasn't sure if this was a buffalo bore 500 S&W round in the photo.

Yes I was exagerrating that it could take down a whale lol. Also I meant the bullet shape/profile looked similar to the buffalo bore rounds I bought so I wasn't sure if this was a buffalo bore 500 S&W round in the photo.

I don't know of anyone who makes a .500 S&W round with bullets that heavy. Its pretty much reloaders only if you want something like that.

If anyone would make a heavy hitting .500 it would be Buffalo Bore or Underwood.

Back
Top Bottom