44 mag Flame belching round

I'm looking for load data for a 44 mag that will shoot a nice fireball.
A fun laugh out loud round. ( when you fire the gun you want to laugh out loud)

I'm shooting a Desert Eagle 44 and a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel.

My bullets are 240gr lead .

I currently load with Unique.

I use H110 for my 44mag.

First time I fired it was when S&W was still open.

My experience depicted below: [popcorn]
Me: Bang! hehe
Rang officer. WTF are you shooting!
Me: 44 Mag
Range officer: That's a real gun!

Here's what 43 grains of it looks like in a 4" S&W 500:

motivator3.jpg

Love that picture. Nearly peed myself from laughing at that.

I get somewhat of the same thing from my 296 .357 loads, just not as big.

I'm looking for load data for a 44 mag that will shoot a nice fireball.
A fun laugh out loud round. ( when you fire the gun you want to laugh out loud)

I'm shooting a Desert Eagle 44 and a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2 barrel.

My bullets are 240gr lead .

I currently load with Unique.

The fireball is caused by a large percentage of the powder charge burning after the bullet exits the muzzle.
The load data is calculated by barrel length and burn rate of the powder.
Faster powders, like Unique, burn more efficiently in shorter barrels, while slower powders are more efficient in longer barrels.
If your loading manual has a section for Rifle loads in .44 mag., this would be the data to use for the effect you desire.
For best results, use the slowest burn rate powder listed.
I load .44 mag for both rifle and pistol.
I've fired the rifle loads from pistols and the fireballs are impressive. [smile]
However, you'll have to use jacketed bullets, the lead isn't going to give you what you want.

A friend has asked me to develop a .357 mag load that lets off a good fireball, as this thread discussed for 44 mag... (Neither him nor I have any of the big-boy revolver calibers... yet) I gather H110 or H296 will work fine, but will I be able to get enough pressure without melting the back of the bullet if I do a moderately tight roll crimp on a cast and gas checked 158 gr .358 SWC? Or should I have him pony up and buy some jacketed bullets?

you can probably pick one up for 1100-1200..if you can find one. None of the wholesalers can get them. They're ll out of stock. I searched for several months until I could find one that a dealer had. I went thru many dealers first. There just aren't that many available in SE Mass.

you can probably pick one up for 1100-1200..if you can find one. None of the wholesalers can get them. They're ll out of stock. I searched for several months until I could find one that a dealer had. I went thru many dealers first. There just aren't that many available in SE Mass.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, too. There was a 4" for sale recently for $900 IIRC. They pop up from time to time, either because people encounter money issues or they find they're more recoil shy than they thought [grin]

I've only loaded Hornady 180gr XTP because I got a metric f*ck ton for free when I bought my set up. I worked up a load of 26.5 gr of 2400 that I shot in my Deagle.

Some pics and videos of the load.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't melt ant lead on the base. Any smoke will be boolit lube and powder. You will however need a gas check if you push it hard.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Keep an eye on the classifieds, too. There was a 4" for sale recently for $900 IIRC. They pop up from time to time, either because people encounter money issues or they find they're more recoil shy than they thought [grin]

At the risk of going way off topic. There is no reason to panic-buy one of these on the fear that BHO may win. Revolvers will be towards the bottom of any kind of list if firearms marked for regulatory action via executive fiat.

Don

At the risk of going way off topic. There is no reason to panic-buy one of these on the fear that BHO may win. Revolvers will be towards the bottom of any kind of list if firearms marked for regulatory action via executive fiat.

Don

B-but it's a SUPER SKARy 50 CALIBER handgun of death! [rolleyes]

Probably the only panic you should experience buying one of these is over how you're going to pay for the ammo if you don't reload [smile]

Thats why there's a .460 XVR in my future not the .50.
I can reload 45 colt and shoot that in the gun if I want to plink.

Re Panic - someone paid me $900 for a 610 revolver in 2008 after BHO won. Crazy.
Of course because they discontinued it, that gun's worth $1100 today, but at the time it was not worth any more than any other S&W stainless revolver.
Its the story of my life.

Last edited:
I am reviving this thread as I was able to score some 300gn Seirra projectiles and some H-110. How do I know when I have a good enough crimp? I will be shooting these out of a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Should I use magnum primers?

I am reviving this thread as I was able to score some 300gn Seirra projectiles and some H-110. How do I know when I have a good enough crimp? I will be shooting these out of a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

If the remaining bullets in the cylinder start to back out under recoil, you don't have enough crimp.

Back
Top Bottom