.40 or 9mm

That is the most illogical contribution to an argument I have ever seen in my life.

You own a lot of .40s or something? It's just one man's opinion... and he's definitely right to some degree. The .40 S+W is the cartridge that almost nobody asked for and somehow it got popular, despite the fact that it doesn't do anything especially well.

I sold all of mine a year or so ago and don't miss them at all. Maybe someday I'll buy another but I'm not in a rush.

-Mike

You own a lot of .40s or something? It's just one man's opinion... and he's definitely right to some degree. The .40 S+W is the cartridge that almost nobody asked for and somehow it got popular, despite the fact that it doesn't do anything especially well.

I sold all of mine a year or so ago and don't miss them at all. Maybe someday I'll buy another but I'm not in a rush.

-Mike

I sold mine too. Got rid of the last .40 about 6 months ago. I don't plan on ever going back.

Perhaps you should learn the difference between then and than. After that we can move up to move advanced topics like the difference between two, to, and too. Once those are mastered you can tackle the[STRIKE]y[/STRIKE] real brainteaser: there, their, and they're.

after all that can you give me a block of instruction on why i should actually give a shit?

M&Ps suck, you know it, cant say otherwise and resort to grammar nazi moves.

If your going to bash grammar and spelling, you might want to be proficient yourself first.

i guess he should be learning with me? [rofl]

They work fine for me and many other people. Why don't you come to an IDPA or USPSA match and I'll show you.

Can you feel the trigger reset? I shot one with a trigger job and it felt like i had to take the trigger all they way forward instead of feeling a reset like a glock.

Last edited:
M&Ps suck, you know it,
I don't have an M&P. I've been shooting a couple IDPA matches per month for the last six months, most recently as an SO, and I see a lot of shooters with M&Ps. They don't seem to have any more problems than any other gun on the line. YMMV.

the 9mm has a lot of great self defense ammo like the winchester ranger and federal HST. Ammo is cheaper so you can get much more range time to help get familiar with your carry gun. Dont know your financial situation but the more time you can spend shooting for less than that is a greater benefit then just having a larger caliber bullet.

Can you feel the trigger reset? I shot one with a trigger job and it felt like i had to take the trigger all they way forward instead of feeling a rest like a glock.

One of mine has a LaRocca trigger and I can feel the reset. If you want a crisp reset put an APEX RAM in it. It makes a dramatic difference. A crisp reset is nice at the range but you won't notice it when you shoot it in competition at speed.

IMHO .40 blows, particularly as a range gun... Just no where near as "fun" to shoot as either 9 or 45...

All snap and jerk with no meaningful payback for it...

+1 not a fan of M&P. Go HK or atleast Glock

I thought about getting a Glock, I got an M&P instead. I am happy with my decision. I'm into the gun about what I would have been with a Glock, and the M&P feels much better (to me) in my hand. Yes, I did buy the Apex kit, cost about $75 from Brownells with a dealer discount. Piece of cake to install. I was able to, with the trigger kit, get a brand new gun that fits my needs/wants better, for the price of a used Glock in MA, maybe cheaper.

It's a possibility that the OP has considered Glock, HK, Sig, etc and has picked the M&P as the gun that fits his needs best.

One of mine has a LaRocca trigger and I can feel the reset. If you want a crisp reset put an APEX RAM in it. It makes a dramatic difference. A crisp reset is nice at the range but you won't notice it when you shoot it in competition at speed.

Apex doesn't make a RAM yet for the .45, but I have their duty/carry kit, and the reset feels compariable to my roomies with the duty/carry and RAM (40c)

i went with a 9mm for 2 reasons.
1 PRICE of ammo
2. i have a beretta cx4, keltec sub 2000, 92fs all 3 guns same cal. SAME MAG so its a natural choice

With No disrespect to the author, the OP is asking advice on deciding a 9mm over a .40 or vice versa. Simply because the author of that article believes it's a result of the "pussification" of america and because his co-worker annoyed him by going on and on about it. The author also states he decided never to get one because he is a non conformist. Non of which contribute to facts as to why choose one or the other. I see nothing wrong with the article as anyone can publish what they want, and if he wants to express his opinion he is damned right to. But, It was an illogical contribution for this thread because the article is based on one's own thoughts on how the round came to be, being a non conformist, and his co worker, Something I'm sure the O.P cares nothing about.

That being said I have owned both 9 and .40

Hang around here a bit longer. The hatred of .40 is kind of a running gag, with EC at the helm. The inclusion of that link in the thread is a continuation of that gag, validity of the arguments presented therein notwithstanding (I just wanted to use the words "therein" and "notwithstanding")

Last edited:
I like a sig p226 in 9mm with 14+1 pre-ban mags for an all-around pistol. I don't have an issue with .40 s&w rounds, or even .45, but I think of the three (or two) 9mm is most versatile. But as has been said, it is largely personal preference... Modern ammo closes most of the gaps in terms of lethality or performance.

Back
Top Bottom