.357 Magnum Carbine Recommendations

I have one of these, it was the fourth one I saw go through a local gunshop - I was waiting for one with good fit/finish and the one I got was excellent (and I am picky). It feeds everything perfectly, has excellent sights, and is very handy. I prefer the pistol grip stock rather than the straight grip.

1592351590742.png

StackPath

Last edited:
I have one of these, it was the fourth one I saw go through a local gunshop - I was waiting for one with good fit/finish and the one I got was excellent (and I am picky). It feeds everything perfectly, has excellent sights, and is very handy. I prefer the pistol grip stock rather than the straight grip.

View attachment 365894

StackPath

I have the same marlin model. Functions smooth, nice fit and finish = zero problems.

Seems like everything has bee looking good with the more recent production marlin rifles, since marlin smoothed out their "remlin" issues a while back.

I have the same marlin model. Functions smooth, nice fit and finish = zero problems.

Seems like everything has bee looking good with the more recent production marlin rifles, since marlin smoothed out their "remlin" issues a while back.

Yes, I have found they have been much better the last couple years (and I look at them everytime I see them in a store), they were pretty atrocious before that. Although I did see a 44 mag in the same rifle a couple months ago that was pretty poor so a "bad" one can still slip out.

I think Ruger should make a comeback on the Model 96 in .22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, .17WSM, .357, and .44. They would make a ton of money on these.

Tease (but it makes sense):
Ruger announces release of Deerfield Carbine in 357 Magnum

My bets are you would love the Henry Big Boy carbine.

Or save up your money can give these guys a call and get a set.

ETA: Not mine. I was looking at the GP100 to go with my Henry, though.

1592364178765.png 1592364203867.png

Last edited:
Did Winchester produce any 73's or 92's in .357 before manufacturing started in Belgium or Japan? I'd like to buy a USA made gun. That's why I'm leaning toward Marlin or Henry. I've yet to look at Rossi or Uberti.

The Henry steel carbine is nifty. 16“ barrel balances nicer than the full size model. Very happy w mine. Skinner rear peep sight nice upgrade. Mine was before Henry caved to the loading gate, but I still enjoy it. My only gripe was the oversized lever loop seemed silly large, but Henry kindly sent me a standard loop no charge. There’s a reason you see so few Henry carbines on used market.

if want something special get a Taylor’s/Uberti clone. I had an 1873 in 357 which was gorgeous. A little too handsome for a guy who thrashes his rifles, so I sold it but man what a pretty rifle. Easily worth the price tag.
I do like the look of that short barrel.

Love me some Henry's!
First came the 357 carbine, adding the Skinner Peep way awesome! Then the 44mag rifle, and finally the 22. I have paws, not hands, so the big loops are no big deal no pun intended but I'll take it! On the 22 I just leave the pinky out, sometimes I point it to pretend I have class.

To the OP's point... They pair nicely with the GP100 6" 357, Super Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 and Safety 6 convertible (22lr/22mag) revolver.
1547105147257316846903004855446.jpg 20190131_123220.jpg 20190728_133556.jpg

Last edited:
[thumbsup]Not mine. Though I did talk to Doug about one of the last GP's he had in that run to go with my Henry Big Boy.
Did you ask him why he left those ugly rubber grips on a gun that he was probably selling for $3K?

Everything else in that pic is a work of art.

Did you ask him why he left those ugly rubber grips on a gun that he was probably selling for $3K?

Everything else in that pic is a work of art.

For looks, you got a point, a really nice set of dark wood grips (maybe even with my preference of finger grooves) = would be perfect on that GP100.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom