• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.30-06 back at CMP

from the CMP forums...

"The CMP has been successful in acquiring another very large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years. We will not accept any pre-orders or establish a waiting list. Thanks for your support and patience."

from the CMP forums...

"The CMP has been successful in acquiring another very large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years. We will not accept any pre-orders or establish a waiting list. Thanks for your support and patience."

It'll be gone by July

Here's what I don't get, why are we still using surplus ammo for WWII weapons?

Why isn't there any modern surplus ammo? Is the military being run in some new super efficient way such that there's no surplus material anymore? Is it that there is constantly two wars going on? When do we get the surplus? Where's the surplus?

I remember in the '70's there was a giant warehouse complex in Taunton MA where state surplus showed up. There would be all sorts of military equipment, clothing, vehicles, all sorts of cool stuff. It was not open to the public, but state agencies , labs, and schools could pick through the stuff.

It seems like there aren't those distribution channels for that kind of stuff any more, and I wonder why.

We're using surplus ammo because they don't shoot 30-06 in the army anymore. It was replaced by .308 and then by .223. It's 2 generations out of date. I think there are no contracts to make it, and probably low consumer demand because of all the surplus that was out there. There's no incentive for a commercial manufacturer to start making it, outside of target ammo.

We're using surplus ammo because they don't shoot 30-06 in the army anymore. It was replaced by .308 and then by .223. It's 2 generations out of date. I think there are no contracts to make it, and probably low consumer demand because of all the surplus that was out there. There's no incentive for a commercial manufacturer to start making it, outside of target ammo.

I recall reading that Hornady is starting to make Garand specific 30-06, but I'm not sure if it's expensive match grade stuff or just GP range ammo.

I recall reading that Hornady is starting to make Garand specific 30-06, but I'm not sure if it's expensive match grade stuff or just GP range ammo.

the Hornady stuff is expensive match grade. the cmp actually has it at $250 for 200rds and from what i've read that is a deal for it.

Why isn't there any modern surplus ammo? Is the military being run in some new super efficient way such that there's no surplus material anymore? Is it that there is constantly two wars going on? When do we get the surplus? Where's the surplus?

Why would there be surplus? This isn't even US surplus, it's Greek surplus. US surplus of 30-06 dried up for the most part a few years back. Every caliber the US has used since .30 carbine and .30-06 were phased out is still in heavy use by the military, so they have no reason to sell it off cheap.

I remember in the '70's there was a giant warehouse complex in Taunton MA where state surplus showed up. There would be all sorts of military equipment, clothing, vehicles, all sorts of cool stuff. It was not open to the public, but state agencies , labs, and schools could pick through the stuff.

It seems like there aren't those distribution channels for that kind of stuff any more, and I wonder why.

Are you talking about surplus 5.56, or other random surplus stuff like equipment and such?

I could be wrong, but I don't think the U.S. surpluses ammunition anymore. They pay someone to disassemble it and then they sell the components.

That is where you get surplus powder, cases and projectiles at places like GI Brass and Brass Man Brass.

B

Are you talking about surplus 5.56, or other random surplus stuff like equipment and such?

Both. It seems like there used to be a lot of equipment, post Vietnam, and that seems to have gotten a lot less common.

Both. It seems like there used to be a lot of equipment, post Vietnam, and that seems to have gotten a lot less common.

Regarding 5.56, and all other rounds currently in use, I'd guess that there isn't any on the surplus market because, well, because the rounds are currently in use by the military. They need them, so they're not releasing them to surplus. 30-06 isn't used anymore, so it's gone to surplus. As far as the gear, I can't speak for the other branches, but the USMC contracted out most of it's gear supply to a private contractor (Lion-Vallen Industries). The days of going to a warehouse and getting a bunch of crap from a crusty old supply sergeant are gone. Civilians issue you all your gear now, and they have really pissy attitudes, too. But since it's privatized now, there's a lot less gear "falling off the truck", and accountability is a huge deal now. One of the guys in my battery actually got billed by the contractor because he couldn't return his patrol pack when he got out...because it was in a humvee that burned to the ground. The report wasn't done properly, though, so he couldn't write it off as a combat-loss, and he got billed for it. That might be one reason why you don't see stuff ending up on the surplus market anymore.

The US military actually has many ammo types that they manufacture to use to train troops on. A while back I ordered some US manufactured 7.62x54r that came in plain white 20 round packs marked 7.62x54. The source said it was US production ammo and very rare, and it was.

Unfortunately it was a one time deal as I've never seen this stuff for sale again, even from private sellers. It was also some of the best performing ammo in my Romak 3 and I was told from a few different people that it was designed for US troops to learn how to use Romak rifles they may encounter in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I can only hope someday that ammo makes its way to a distributor!
eusa_pray.gif

Last edited:
they now have forsale the match grade stuff for like lil over a dollar a round. and the carbine price got bumped up to 200 for 500 rounds but thats not for sale yet

and yes i will order my 10 spam cans asap

I missed out on the last batch of garands from the CMP and ordered my first jan 10 2009. In the months before I placed my order CMP had said they had years of greek ammo stored up. I then got a 10case limit notice! I promptly ordered several cases every few weeks includeing some 22lr(case). shortly after my 10th case and 22lr order things went sold out!! I exspect the same for this next batch of ammo. I intend to order all I can afford. I patiently wait for my 2nd SG springfield garand. I almost ordered a carbine but fear the sell out.

Back
Top Bottom