• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

26 Attorney Generals Get Involved in Anti-gun Law in San Francisco

One recourse for gun owners to comply with the law and have easy access to their firearm is to get a biometric safe. These devices are secure and quick to open. A fingerprint opens the safe. Until this stringent, unreasonable law is repealed, this is a viable option.

It is not a good option. Those things fail, and it will fail when you need it the most. Your hand will be sweaty, or dirty or the battery will be dead.

You can't get quality biometrics in a $60,000 entry door unit. It is foolish to think you'll get 100% success, always, with a $300 handgun safe. The only electronic device I want near my gun is perhaps a light bulb or Crimson Trace.

^agreed. I have two biometric boxes, and I would say the success rate for the first swipe of my finger in UNSTRESSFUL situations is about 50%. And I have filled up all of the available memory spots with the same finger print, using different swipe speeds, pressure and position on the pad. I have also noticed that if your hands are damp, like after washing them or, let's say sweaty because you're in a stressful situation, it often won't work at all.

If I were still in MA and wanted a lockbox, I would get a mechanical combo type.

AT&T has a hardened hosting facility in Watertown that I go into often. They have a glass capsule you have to go into to gain access to the facility with a biometric hand scanner inside. Once your identified a swinging door opens up so you can go in. That thing is so bad I'm lucky if it recognizes me once in 20 attempts. It's so bad that they have a security guard right there to let you in because they know the technology sucks.

If a billion dollar company can't get it working at one of their most secure facilities, not a chance in hell it will reliably work in a couple hundred dollar gun safe.

Another option is to just keep the key in the safe's lock at all times. If the safe is technically locked, then there is no legal problem. All it takes is a twist with your fingers to get it open quickly. I don't think there is anything on the books that says "key must be stored away from safe".

So, suck it anti-gun lawyers and lawmakers.

Another option is to just keep the key in the safe's lock at all times. If the safe is technically locked, then there is no legal problem. All it takes is a twist with your fingers to get it open quickly. I don't think there is anything on the books that says "key must be stored away from safe".

I suspect the "technically locked" defense would not fare well in Mass if a child got ahold of your gun and something bad happened. But I'm not a lawyer; just a guy who's glad I'm not there anymore.

I suspect the "technically locked" defense would not fare well in Mass if a child got ahold of your gun and something bad happened. But I'm not a lawyer; just a guy who's glad I'm not there anymore.

Lucky you. Where did you move?

Ugh, I cannot wait to get out of this collectivist cesspool.

If a billion dollar company can't get it working at one of their most secure facilities, not a chance in hell it will reliably work in a couple hundred dollar gun safe.

But the antis think that if it works in the movies, they can demand it be used to keep wild guns from causing damage in the home.

Not a bad idea. Take the key with you when you leave the room. Simple. Done.

Don't worry!

When the GOP anti-terrorism and/or ObamaCare requires an embedded RIFD chip for everyone to prevent terrorists from riding bicycles or prevent people from getting a free colonoscopy, we'll have the basis for the smart gun and/or smart gun safe technology we all desperately seek.

You can't get quality biometrics in a $60,000 entry door unit. It is foolish to think you'll get 100% success, always, with a $300 handgun safe. The only electronic device I want near my gun is perhaps a light bulb or Crimson Trace.

But Jon, I thought you said you use one of these when I took my GOAL course many moons ago. Or were you talking about "mechanical" type, which is different. Confused. Maybe I just have my terminology mixed up or something.

Back
Top Bottom