• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 rifle, Ruger, T/C, Henry, Marlin, other?

What do you all recommend?

This gun will be for plinking, some light hunting duties, and general fun.

I really like the Henry's slick lever action, but not the sights which they say are to keep the "authentic" look. I say make it a serious hunter/shooter.

The 10/22 is ubiquitous, because it is inexpensive, accurate, flexible, and good, and banana clips are available for it, which is nice. The quick followup shots allowed by the autoloading are nice.

The T/C is a really really nice looking gun, with the good optic sights, but expensive.

The CZ is also nice looking and expensive.

The old Sears my Dad has is accurate, but only holds 5 in the clip, and it's his.
Ruger bolt and lever actions also appeal to me, as do the Marlins, but if I'd do a lever, why not the Henry?

Now, take all that, throw in the used market, and any others, and discuss. Oh, and also, same as all of the above only in .22 Magnum.

[/list]

Ok, you win the prize for most patient poster ever!

Plinking and light hunting, a Marlin 60 series is good to go out of the box. Tube fed semi-auto, and tube holds a lot, plus there's neat tube speed-loaders out now. Marlin has broadened their line, too, just this year. Marlin rimfires will last you decades. There's also the very inexpensive 981T tube-fed bolt action. That'll let you use a serious range of ammo, from 22LR to CBs and super-colibri, shorts, and longs.

The 10/22 is great if you think you will want to improve its function and/or dress it up down the line. There's a lot more you can do to change its functionality and look than a Marlin, to make it a real tackdriver.

I guess I figure the Marlins are great out of the box, but there's not a lot of aftermarket stuff to make them awesome. The 10/22s are plenty good out of the box, but there's lots out there to (inexpensively in most cases) make them great, and 10/22s can be worked over by a smith to make an amazing rifle.

I don't know the Henry levers, but I have heard them unfavorably compared with Marlin, Winchester, and Browning levers. Don't know how they will do over the long haul, but I don't have one, so whadda-I-know. I DO like their little single-shot .22 bolts - they're a hoot, and tougher than the Crickets.

CZs are the stuff - very accurate, not a lot to do to make them amazing. Not inexpensive, but you do get what you pay for. I don't have one... but I want one.[wink]

The T/Cs I can't speak to. But I really like the looks of the R-55 all-weather. Very slick. Might find its way onto my 'want' list... after a CZ. Already got me a Marlin. [smile]

The Marlin Model 39 is my choice.
Walnut and steel, nicely finished and very accurate.
It is a classic lever gun that has been manufactured for more than a century.
A bit pricey, but you certainly won't ever regret buying quality.

Jack

I recently decided to get myself a .22 plinker and decided to go with the Ruger 10/22. Have not purchased it yet (waiting for a few more gift certificates) for my birthday on the 1st.
I have heard nothing but good things about them and the amount of aftermarket parts is great.

I have a Browning Buckmark rifle, Browning BL-22 lever action, and a Ruger 10/22

You cannot go wrong with the Ruger.

The Buckmark rifle is very beautiful and nice to hold, but it doesn't do anything better than the Ruger, except happens to take the same magazines as my Buckmark pistol.

The Browning BL22 lever action is really well made, compared to the Henry. The sights do suck though. I don't know if anyone makes an aftermarket aperture sight that fits it, although it does have scope grooves on the top so you might be able to find an aperture sight that fits. The lever action is nice because it shoots CB rounds, which are very quiet, or .22 shorts, which are fun for kids. I've even shot the Colibri (primer only) rounds out of it, which are totaly silent, although you're not really supposed to shoot them from a rifle, and a couple of times the bullet got stuck in the barrel (have to make extra sure to look down the bore after using these).

Last edited:
Good bump!
I have been thinking of getting a new toy. I was thinking along the lines of a 10-22 because of all the things that can be done to it. I just found out today that I can get the .17 HMR kit for it as well. It just seems that no matter what you can think of to add or change it can be done.
Think I am sold.
Anyone have a 10-22 for sale? I will be looking at the gun show for sure.

If you want a semi-auto, get a Ruger 10-22.

If you want a lever-action, stick to (in no particular order) Browning, Winchester, or Marlin. I have a Browning BL-22, and it is a really nice rifle. Think I paid $180 for it, used. There is a receiver sight made for it that fits on the scope grooves.

You have a ton of choices for bolt-actions. On the higher end, Ruger's 77/22 is really nice (as well as Kimber, Cooper, Anschutz, CZ, etc. etc.). Start looking at used rifles when you go into shops. .22's can be found cheap if you be patient.

Good bump!
I have been thinking of getting a new toy. I was thinking along the lines of a 10-22 because of all the things that can be done to it. I just found out today that I can get the .17 HMR kit for it as well. It just seems that no matter what you can think of to add or change it can be done.
Think I am sold.
Anyone have a 10-22 for sale? I will be looking at the gun show for sure.

If you want to use the .17 kit for your 10/22, then you need to make sure that you get a Magnum reviever. You can't put it down on the .22 LR. The .17 is a .22 mag necked down to a .177.

Anyway, I have two 10/22s, a CZ 452 Ultra Lux, the Marlin 39A, and two Winchester M190s...I know that I'm missing two more .22s that I have, but I'm blanking at the moment.

Each have thier place...

I live the WInchesters...well because that was my first .22 and I've had them and been shooting them for about 30 years.

My CZ is just flat out insane out of the box. I don't have to do anything to it and it's shooting better than I at 100 yards. I love this thing...and by far my fav to shoot.

The Marlin lever action is also a blast to shoot. It's smooth, and scarry accurate. If you are looking for a lever .22, I would get this over a Henry.

What can you say about the 10/22s? They are VERY good shooters, VERY versital. Like everyone was saying, for short money off of eBay, you can get TONS of parts for it to make it any kind of shooter that you want.

I love .22s. And as I tell everyone, you can't have too many .22s.

I like the 10/22 for it's all around-ness. Didn't they come out with a different size one in the past couple years as opposed to the traditional carbine?

I also like:
The snick snick of the action on the Henry Golden Boy. I only wish they would come out with a more "modern" one with fiber sights, but keeping the nice action and octagon barrel.
The ThompsonCenter is REAL nice feeling and looking and, according to a friend, shooting.
The Savage because it is made in MA and the Accutrigger is supposedly awesome.

WAIT. HOLD THE PRESSES! I already wrote all this, here, in post #2:
Best Quality .22LR Bolt Action or Lever Action?

I tell ya, this is a tough one for me.

I like the Ruger 10/22 rifle because it is inexpensive, accurate, simple, clean design, lots of parts, etc.

I like the quality of the Ceska Zbrojovka and the Thompson Center .

I LOVE the snick snick of the Henrys, including or maybe especially The Henry Golden Boy.

Savage is local, which has something going for it.

Marlin is the bargain gun, but I don't care for quality control. Others disagree ("most popular 22 in the world.").

Remington is known to be good, or at least used to be. I haven't heard much lately.

And, certainly, check out the CMP RIFLES.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

I have both the Marlin model 60 and the 10/22. I love the 10/22... it handles better and has jammed far less than my Marlin.
The 10/22 in my "every weekend" gun.... I shoot it every weekend!

I like the 10/22 for it's all around-ness. Didn't they come out with a different size one in the past couple years as opposed to the traditional carbine?

Bass Pro had one made for them. It's a 20" barrel rather than the standard 18" barrel. It's got fiber sights...but it's a thiner stock with no checkering.

I think that I might pick one up the next time that it goes on sale.

Ruger makes the SS 10/22 22 and it's sold at Wal-Mart.

I have:
Taurus 63 SS auto
10/22 22
10/22
Remington pump
Mossberg bolt (40 years old, very well used, still dead on at 75 yards)
Sears Pump from 1940
Marlin .22 mag

It's true you can never have to many .22.

The next one I want is the Ruger .22 Charger.

Bass Pro had one made for them. It's a 20" barrel rather than the standard 18" barrel. It's got fiber sights...but it's a thiner stock with no checkering.

I think that I might pick one up the next time that it goes on sale.

What is that model running for cost?

...The next one I want is the Ruger .22 Charger.

What is this one?

I also like the .22Mag lever action from Ruger.

I saw an Intratec at the range where you feed it through the shoulder piece of the stock, which I thought looked cool, the way it was angled. I think it is a copy of an older American rifle.

Ill bite. What does A.W.B stand for?

Marlin 60 is nice, plus with a tube magazine you don't have to risk running afoul the AWB.

Ill bite. What does A.W.B stand for?

logo.gif

On the subject of .22 rifles. Has anyone replaced the tang sites on a Henry Lever Action with rear peep an hooded front?

can you point me in the direction of a site that sells some good sites

or I happen to have a brand new Aimpoint that mounts on a rail. I have been trying to find a rail to fit my boys Mossberg 20Ga with no sucess. Do they make Rails to fit the Henry?

Back
Top Bottom