• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 MA Gun Ban: AR-15 Transfers Allowed After Registration?

I am so frickin' glad this is no longer a problem I have to consider.

Moving from MA to NC was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I can't see me ever moving back to New England.

f*** that shit.
I never considered it "personally". This bill will have little or no consequences to me personally. It's more virtue signaling garbage to drive around, another half crushed trash can rolling in the street to dodge.

I am far more concerned about the harm this creates for new shooters and friends who own gun shops in this state. The outcome is disastrous for those two groups particularly the latter. The latter will destroy a lot of businesses. Even if there's a long term win those businesses will suffer irreparable harm.

i wasn't far away as the crow flies dead asleep next to my future ex-wife and the sound woke me STRAIGHT up, i knew exactly what that sound was...
no, i don't have PTSD, lol

I was living in the southend of NB at that time as well and I also heard the shots as I was up late working on the computer.

I don’t know Florida laws, can you possess guns there without being a resident? If you’re a resident of Florida do you have to do the change of residency thing in Mass? I’m sure there’s a thread for this.
That’s Massachusetts mentality. Most states don’t give a shit where you reside as long as you’re here legally and not a PP. Carry is a different story, but I can’t think of many (any?) places that care as much as MA about who posses a gun on private property.

Kind of, I have a good friend who has a home in Florida but his main residence is in Mass. He moved the majority of his firearms to Florida including those I think are on the Bad List. From what I’ve read it appears he is good to go and no need to register anything as long as they are not in Mass. or maybe I’m wrong.

If the state asks just hand them a snorkel and tell them they’re at the bottom of a lake in Florida.

That’s Massachusetts mentality. Most states don’t give a shit where you reside as long as you’re here legally and not a PP. Carry is a different story, but I can’t think of many (any?) places that care as much as MA about who posses a gun on private property.

My brother’s apartment got broken into in Texas, he told the cop (sheriff?) they took a Hi-Power that was sitting on the coffee table. The guy just nodded.

you cannot be charged for ... or possession.

However you can still be charged with the possession of that item.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Last edited:
Failure to report a transfer (register) is a separate crime from possession of a banned firearm.
Since one can not be compelled to incriminate oneself, they cannot be prosecuted for not reporting a banned firearm since that admits illegal possession.

This legal principle is why anyone touting a registry as a method to reduce illegal possession is ignorant, lying or likely both.

This legal principle is why anyone touting a registry as a method to reduce illegal possession is ignorant, lying or likely both.

I mean, this is just one poignant example of gun control in general. Who pins brakes? Who does eFA10s? Who meets safe storage regs? Who only runs low cap mags? Certainly not people who are going to use a gun in a crime.

I mean, this is just one poignant example of gun control in general. Who pins brakes? Who does eFA10s? Who meets safe storage regs? Who only runs low cap mags? Certainly not people who are going to use a gun in a crime.
Laws only restrict those that don't need the laws in the first place.

I've never really understood celebrity.

Art reflects our fears and desires. Artists aren't presenting themselves on stage/screen; if they were, we'd get bored quickly. Suspension of disbelief only extends as far as my seat in the theater.

I think it's @tuna who likes to remind us - they're paid to play make-believe. We can be grateful for their skill at that without imagining that's who they are at home.

Except Audie Murphy...
True art holds up a mirror to society, often what we see is very ugly. 🙏

When was the last time an AR15 was used in an actual crime in MA?
Mucko…Mcderrmot they office shooting in wakefield used an AK-47… in 2000

Wayne Lo shot up Simons college at bard rock (various name changes of this liberal leftist college with no real degrees still have unarmed no campus police college) with an SKS in 1992 in Great Barrington..

I would say most of MA violent crimes that are not stabbings done with whatever random model gun is available with a shooting.

Most gangsterism nationwide is practiced with Glocks and or switch’s, Draco’s or Taurus hand guns or whatever they can get their hands on. Usually carried openly in stupid basketball shorts or in the pockets of sweat pants.

It’ll never happen but laws are a feel good measure and have to be “respected” by the public to work.. gangsterism gangsters don’t care…. Just do constitutional carry and be done with it.

I just like saying gangsterism

Under the pending law - once a AR-15 is registered - can it be transferred?

A little problem developed in CT.

Nobody registered back in 2013.

CT law now required registration for amnesty. If you try to register the guns from back in 2013 - you are committing a felony.

What is the best plan of action for Massachusetts gun owners to avoid that mistake?

I think since folks are worried about eventual confiscation after registration that they will hedge their bets and keep some AR's off the books.
Back in 2013 I had recently left CT for MA. I knew a lot about the CT law because I had a very solid grounding in existing law and had read the actual language of the bill.

When the DESPP came out with the process for registering AWs, a lot of people said "No. I'm not going to register". I reminded people that if they bought their rifle from a gun shop, the state already knew they had it.

My recommendation to people was that if you bought your gun at a gun shop, comply with the law since refusing served no purpose. The dealer had filed a DPS-3 and the gun was already in their database with your name attached.

If you bought your gun on the secondary market and the state didn't know you owned it (prior to 2013, secondary transfers of long guns did not require an approval number from the state) then you had a decision to make.

My advice to CT people was to register their dealer purchased guns and to go even further. Drown the F$%kers in paperwork. The law copied the Federal law around machine guns in that it said "any item that can be used to convert a firearm into an assault weapon is an assault weapon".

By that logic, a pistol grip, flash hider, or telescoping stock are all assault weapons. So I registered all of them. Every crappy A2 pistol grip I had kicking around got registered. Every old A1 and A2 fast hider I had removed over 30 years of owning ARs got registered. I think I registered something like 60 "Assault Weapons".

I'm not sure if the MA bill has any language like that, but if it does, I'd strongly suggest that people register their grips, flash hiders and stocks.

I think a reasonable plan of action would be to register the ones that you intend to keep in the state and move some of them to a friends' house in NH and leave them unregistered and out of state. By that plan, you will still LAWFULLY own ARs that are untouchable by the Government of the Commonwealth of MA and you will be able to go to the range using the guns you have registered, without putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

One other thing. When the CT law passed I told my friends who lived in MA to register their guns. At first the DESPP wouldn't register out of state guns until they were reminded that there was nothing in the law limiting who could register their guns with the DESPP.

So if you live in NH and intend to come to MA to shoot ever, register a couple of guns so you can do so without legal jeopardy. Despite the fact that they are in MA, gun clubs like Harvard Sportsmen and Woburn Sportsmen are fantastic clubs that run great matches, where you may want to drive down and participate without risk.

Back in 2013 I had recently left CT for MA. I knew a lot about the CT law because I had a very solid grounding in existing law and had read the actual language of the bill.

When the DESPP came out with the process for registering AWs, a lot of people said "No. I'm not going to register". I reminded people that if they bought their rifle from a gun shop, the state already knew they had it.

My recommendation to people was that if you bought your gun at a gun shop, comply with the law since refusing served no purpose. The dealer had filed a DPS-3 and the gun was already in their database with your name attached.

If you bought your gun on the secondary market and the state didn't know you owned it (prior to 2013, secondary transfers of long guns did not require an approval number from the state) then you had a decision to make.

My advice to CT people was to register their dealer purchased guns and to go even further. Drown the F$%kers in paperwork. The law copied the Federal law around machine guns in that it said "any item that can be used to convert a firearm into an assault weapon is an assault weapon".

By that logic, a pistol grip, flash hider, or telescoping stock are all assault weapons. So I registered all of them. Every crappy A2 pistol grip I had kicking around got registered. Every old A1 and A2 fast hider I had removed over 30 years of owning ARs got registered. I think I registered something like 60 "Assault Weapons".

I'm not sure if the MA bill has any language like that, but if it does, I'd strongly suggest that people register their grips, flash hiders and stocks.

I think a reasonable plan of action would be to register the ones that you intend to keep in the state and move some of them to a friends' house in NH and leave them unregistered and out of state. By that plan, you will still LAWFULLY own ARs that are untouchable by the Government of the Commonwealth of MA and you will be able to go to the range using the guns you have registered, without putting yourself in legal jeopardy.

One other thing. When the CT law passed I told my friends who lived in MA to register their guns. At first the DESPP wouldn't register out of state guns until they were reminded that there was nothing in the law limiting who could register their guns with the DESPP.

So if you live in NH and intend to come to MA to shoot ever, register a couple of guns so you can do so without legal jeopardy. Despite the fact that they are in MA, gun clubs like Harvard Sportsmen and Woburn Sportsmen are fantastic clubs that run great matches, where you may want to drive down and participate without risk.

Any idea if CT is allowing out of state registration for the latest round of registration?

If they know i have it, i don't see the need to register, they already know i have it. *shrug*
If you don't register it, then you have the worst case of any possibility.
They know you have it.
You are breaking the law.

If they know you have it you might as well get legal.

If you have a legally acquired firearm they dont' know about, you can argue the point that you shouldn't register it since leaving it unregistered has some benefit. But if they know you have it, there is no reason not to register it.

Note that if you moved here with guns, you are legal and they dont' know you have them.

They know you have it.

If you have a legally acquired firearm they dont' know about, you can argue the point that you shouldn't register it since leaving it unregistered has some benefit. But if they know you have it, there is no reason not to register it.

Note that if you moved here with guns, you are legal and they dont' know you have them.
Is that you signes?

They know you have it.

None of this will matter. This is mass, that system will be a sewer nobody cares about. You're assuming they will even allocate the funds to orchestrate it.

I believe H.4139 requires them to allocate funds.
Maybe but you assume it will survive the process. Regardless I'm not convinced much will come out on the ground, much like CTs AWB nobody complied much.

Maybe but you assume it will survive the process. Regardless I'm not convinced much will come out on the ground, much like CTs AWB nobody complied much.
The CT AWB has had a huge impact on otherwise law abiding gun owners.

The ones who didn't register don't bring them to the range anymore. And every couple of months, some poor sap who didn't register gets arrested because he has a medical emergeency and the cops find it in his house or something stupid like that.

They didn't register, and some end up paying.

Of course the CT cops wre in favor of the law. In MA, the Chiefs of Police has been vocally against it. So maybe they will mutiny. But I wouldn't bet my freedom on it.

I don't know. I looked at the law and there isn't anything prohibiting it. But who knows how the state will decide to implement.
Thanks - I didn’t see anything either but also haven’t seen anyone try to register from out of state.

Back
Top Bottom