• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 CMP M1 Garand Clinic/Games/Match @ OCSA Pembroke Ma.

1-3pm seems reasonable. No worries, just trying to plan my day after. Thanks for the info. I’m an hour drive each way. So trying to gage it.

A good way for first time shooters to start is get the 'clinic' before the first relay, watch the first relay, shoot the second, and pull targets for the 3rd relay. Even following that schedule, you'd probably be out of there closer to 1 than to 3. Maybe plan for 2 just to be safe. I'm driving ~1:35 each way, maybe longer back with Cape traffic. I just make plans that it's my 'thing' that day and usually shoot 2 matches plus pull targets when not shooting.

Good luck and have fun. If you are like most of us, it will seem like a lot to digest all at once. Once you shoot a few matches it becomes second nature and you concentrate on the finer points. Not that long ago I was a total newb attending my first match on a @mac1911 karma. Look for me and say hey- I'll be in a black or grey CMP t-shirt and have a green and tan shooting jacket.

Thanks to mac1911 for the
the karma and the rest of the guys who make this happen.

nice to put some faces with some NES screen names! Good to meet you all.

I’ll be back again.

Nice day for a match
Some very good scores posted today
Im awful at scores so if anyone knows correct me

M1 Match
Gold 275
Silver 265
Bronze 261
Modern Military -
Gold 293
Silver 285
Bronze 281

theres been some high scores this season for sure.

and the trinket
69CDBCD5-2BE0-4F51-A5B7-B99731D6641D.jpeg

Thanks to mac1911 for the
the karma and the rest of the guys who make this happen.

nice to put some faces with some NES screen names! Good to meet you all.

I’ll be back again.
Nice meeting you as well! Very solid shooting with a good score to prove it. Also good job pulling targets. Glad you'll be back.
Nice day for a match
Some very good scores posted today
Im awful at scores so if anyone knows correct me

M1 Match
Gold 275
Silver 265
Bronze 261
Modern Military -
Gold 293
Silver 285
Bronze 281

theres been some high scores this season for sure.

and the trinket
View attachment 492006
Awesome shooting with the M1A. I thought a 289-7 would do it but noooo... LOL congrats.

Haven't been able to get to any of the OCSA matches, almost made it last Sunday..... but I plan on shooting my Garand, 03A3 and M14 at Perry.

For the 30-06 rifles, I just whipped up some 125 TNT loads. 48.0/48.5/49.0 of 4064. Gonna shoot them out of my Garand tomorrow and pick the best load, then I will validate that in the 03A3. If I have time, I will work on a 125 load for the M14..... Any one have any suggestions?

Haven't been able to get to any of the OCSA matches, almost made it last Sunday..... but I plan on shooting my Garand, 03A3 and M14 at Perry.

For the 30-06 rifles, I just whipped up some 125 TNT loads. 48.0/48.5/49.0 of 4064. Gonna shoot them out of my Garand tomorrow and pick the best load, then I will validate that in the 03A3. If I have time, I will work on a 125 load for the M14..... Any one have any suggestions?
So far I have liked and shot well
285/300 with M1a
287/300 with K31
Pumping the nosler 110s and SMK 130s at 2800 fps
I also shot a higher thsn average score out of the 1903a3 with 130s at 2200fps nice soft shooting load.
Some day I will settle on a particular load .

I tried lighter loads for 110's and had erratic results. Seems like I tried 125's in the Bula and didn't have a good result but looks like there are tons of powder choices for 308 & 125's- from Benchmark to Varget, 4895, even 4198? Seems like my Bula shoots both 155's and 168's or 167's very, very well. I was pretty excited about that score last Sunday but damn, Mac had me by 4 points.

I tried burning up some 2520 on a whim and ended up with some really tight groups from both the .308 M1 and the Bula with Nosler CC blem 168's and 42.0 grains 2520.

I tried lighter loads for 110's and had erratic results. Seems like I tried 125's in the Bula and didn't have a good result but looks like there are tons of powder choices for 308 & 125's- from Benchmark to Varget, 4895, even 4198? Seems like my Bula shoots both 155's and 168's or 167's very, very well. I was pretty excited about that score last Sunday but damn, Mac had me by 4 points.

I tried burning up some 2520 on a whim and ended up with some really tight groups from both the .308 M1 and the Bula with Nosler CC blem 168's and 42.0 grains 2520.
Must be the coffee, I switch brands.

Must be the coffee, I switch brands.
Did you have a pork burrito? I hear those have steroids.

Anyway, next OCSA match I'll be bringing my best M1 Garand loads for the Spaghetti Special to practice for Perry. I'm not going to shoot Vintage at Perry so not sure what I'd bring for that. Might just default to the K31 & GP11 so I can save my reloading time for other stuff.

@dw617 , I'm shooting same Perry events as you, assuming you are shooting the M14 in a Games event. Also @76Too will be there. M14 Sat AM at Viale, Garand Sun AM at Rodriguez, Springfield Sun PM at Rodriguez. Maybe should start a separate thread for that one.

I'll be arriving Sat 31 July in the afternoon and leaving Sun 8 Aug in the morning.

Garand Friday PM Viale
MM (M14) Sat AM Viale
Springfield (1903A3) Sat PM Viale

Looks like we'll cross paths - let's get a thread or text group together.

I'll be arriving Sat 31 July in the afternoon and leaving Sun 8 Aug in the morning.

Garand Friday PM Viale
MM (M14) Sat AM Viale
Springfield (1903A3) Sat PM Viale

Looks like we'll cross paths - let's get a thread or text group together.
Yeah you Perry folks get on outahere!

Done, though there's likely 100% overlap for people who shoot OCSA matches and will be going to Perry.
Yeah yeah , you go to perry....
Dont forget who put that hook in your mouth!
Lol
Note : for anyone I lured in with a karma and your now spending money buying cmp rifles and trying to feed them , im not sorry!

For those that dont know me or get my crappy sense of humor and general bantering and sacastic BS. To bad.
You all have fun at Perry.....bastards!
looking forward to that thread.

Yeah yeah , you go to perry....
Dont forget who put that hook in your mouth!
Lol
Note : for anyone I lured in with a karma and your now spending money buying cmp rifles and trying to feed them , im not sorry!

For those that dont know me or get my crappy sense of humor and general bantering and sacastic BS. To bad.
You all have fun at Perry.....bastards!
looking forward to that thread.
If CMP, Bula, Compass Lake, Geissele, and various milsurp sellers gave you commissions? That would be some serious change! Not to mention Hodgdon, Sierra, and Lapua...

This has been an awesome hobby & way to boost marksmanship skills. What's really nice is to see new folks coming in pretty regularly now. OCSA is an excellent resource not only to get your feet wet but also to sharpen skills against people who regularly win trinkets at the CMP Travel Games. Basically national level competition in your backyard, or you can just have a good time and scores be damned. I absolutely loved that one of the guys shot a Carcano last match. 3 out of 35 shots would have hit JFK in the noggin.

When those Mac-karmas are in play, folks should really take advantage. Club M1's have been worked over by a referral-only armorer who is one of the best in the country.

If CMP, Bula, Compass Lake, Geissele, and various milsurp sellers gave you commissions? That would be some serious change! Not to mention Hodgdon, Sierra, and Lapua...

This has been an awesome hobby & way to boost marksmanship skills. What's really nice is to see new folks coming in pretty regularly now. OCSA is an excellent resource not only to get your feet wet but also to sharpen skills against people who regularly win trinkets at the CMP Travel Games. Basically national level competition in your backyard, or you can just have a good time and scores be damned. I absolutely loved that one of the guys shot a Carcano last match. 3 out of 35 shots would have hit JFK in the noggin.

When those Mac-karmas are in play, folks should really take advantage. Club M1's have been worked over by a referral-only armorer who is one of the best in the country.
I might run the Arisaka 99 next match ?
i dont know if I want to take a run at trinkets or shoot for fun I have the M96 to try out also . Im not so sure that will post decent scores or not.
The Arisaka was good for a respectful score last time out.
Especially when said armorer asks “does that pizzaschitah even go bang”
I do have some jacketed bullets for it but have fun shooting cast through the old bores

I might run the Arisaka 99 next match ?
i dont know if I want to take a run at trinkets or shoot for fun I have the M96 to try out also . Im not so sure that will post decent scores or not.
The Arisaka was good for a respectful score last time out.
Especially when said armorer asks “does that pizzaschitah even go bang”
I do have some jacketed bullets for it but have fun shooting cast through the old bores
Decided I'll shoot my Franco M1 and the 1903 NM- not something for vintage as I won't be shooting vintage at you know where. I can use the practice with the 03. My M1 scores haven't been quite where I want them, so gotta work on that.

Decided I'll shoot my Franco M1 and the 1903 NM- not something for vintage as I won't be shooting vintage at you know where. I can use the practice with the 03. My M1 scores haven't been quite where I want them, so gotta work on that.
I have the swede, k98 762nato , K31 in the line up.
M1- maybe the Danish Return? Doubt i will shoot top 5 with the dane?

I have the swede, k98 762nato , K31 in the line up.
M1- maybe the Danish Return? Doubt i will shoot top 5 with the dane?
Don't be a wuss- I grabbed a silver trinket with the HRA in-a stock that was-a fitted no good. I may miss the August match but will shoot the HRA or IHC (if CMP fill my order) in my next OCSA match after Perry.

Don't be a wuss- I grabbed a silver trinket with the HRA in-a stock that was-a fitted no good. I may miss the August match but will shoot the HRA or IHC (if CMP fill my order) in my next OCSA match after Perry.
I need to figure out the crusty clip loading?

I want to come for the Garand match next month and I also want to come for the modern military match in September. Question about the modern military match: Do the rifles have to be in their original configuration? I have what one may consider a frankenstein-AR, but it’s all Colt, it’s just that it’s a mismatched upper and lower in terms of the serial numbers. I have a rifle I could bring instead but it would be cool to test out the range of the AR with iron sights.

Back
Top Bottom