• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2021 CMP M1 Garand Clinic/Games/Match @ OCSA Pembroke Ma.

Bummer, but the years when the kids do their own thing will come soon enough.

Popping in for distractions? You just reminded me of last month when someone hit the warning buzzer right in the middle of my Garand match offhand string. I'm still pissed off about that. I've been to some matches where you will get your ass chewed for talking near the firing line during a match, but the chit chat never bothers me. I figure if I can concentrate with 'BOOM' going off to my left and right, a little talking isn't an issue. That damn warning buzzer is pretty loud when it's right behind your ass plus you have no choice but to see what's going on in case of emergency cease fire etc.
i was thinking of warming up some 6.5 creedmoor brass with a lighter and randomly tossing at you guys.

Hey folks- Mac really did toss brass at me! I was so distracted it affected my score two relays later. I could have had a 293-8 but only shot a 94-0 with the 03A3.
Itsahpizzahshitzah!
I think what got to you was me wasting 6.5 CM brass.

LOL the rifle was OK, it was CMP's fvcking fault for using a pizzashit bolt.

He was in good spirits and shooting lights out. 285-7 in M1 Garand and I think 287 or something close for Springfield.
He was smoking cigarettes again and also He felt at ease knowing I was not shooting my poosay reloads!

LOL the rifle was OK, it was CMP's fvcking fault for using a pizzashit bolt.

He was in good spirits and shooting lights out. 285-7 in M1 Garand and I think 287 or something close for Springfield.
Well that rifle was fine until you turned on the rapid fire switch....

Yeah, but usually I get at least part way through rapids before things go FUBAR. I didn't even get one round off once I flipped the switch, LOL.

You guys were making a lot of noise up there yesterday. Was down in the pits all morning - great day for shooting.

I was wondering who was down there making all the pew-pew-pew noises. It was perfect earlier but I pulled targets and helped new folks first two relays, then it rained on us in the third relay and we had some wind. Temps were nice, so no complaints about that.

Meanwhile, did a little better than last. month- 235-1x and only one outside (miss). Offhand.
Went to the local range and shot some offhand yesterday, slowly "improving"?
I seem to have a bit of a wobble and a tendency to slap the trigger when it looks right.
20 rounds. Pic. IMG_3377.JPG

I have been using a pair of "top bifocal" 1.25x glasses to shoot with, trying to focus the front sight. I think 1.00x mag would be better and give a less fuzzy image of the target. But the biggest problem has been the gap at the upper left of the bifocal to the nosepiece. Right where I have to look. So, yesterday I switched to clear glasses with no bifocal, and found I could put my cheek on the stock like you are supposed to...(for a cheek weld). And like magic, I began getting them closer to the center. But the target is really a blob. Some at the Pembroke Match use different means (clip-on lens, hinged full-size cover lens) to help with focusing on the front sight.
The clear shooting glasses I changed over to yesterday are actually one lens and do not have a bifocal line or frame in the way of sighting the target/front sight. Just need a little magnification to see that front sight better...

Meanwhile, did a little better than last. month- 235-1x and only one outside (miss). Offhand.
I seem to have a bit of a wobble and a tendency to slap the trigger when it looks right.
20 rounds. Pic.View attachment 483713
I've been told the only way to get better at offhand is to practice until you are balls deep in brass. Since I didn't get any government cheese stimulus checks and I want my components to last for matches, I'm practicing a lot with this-
agd_516910354_springfield_armory_m1a_wood_stock_1605888090.jpg
Springfield Armory M1A underlever pellet rifle . Christmas gift from Mrs. Mountain.

Weighs 9 lbs, more than accurate enough for the purpose. I think it reinforces when NOT to squeeze the trigger as much as when to squeeze it. I have a basement pellet trap and tape target paper over it, then stick the small black dots from Shoot-N-See targets on the paper. Once I complete a few projects around the house and yard, I plan to make a plate target for the back 40. I'll set it up with a black bull and white background to simulate match shooting.

Dry firing helps too, but it doesn't give you the definitive feedback of actually taking a shot at a target.

CMP was super quick to respond to my complaint email. Looking at it more closely while talking to them, it could be a mismatch between the bolt sleeve and bolt, a worn bolt sleeve lock, loose tolerance on bolt, or combo of all three. The bolt sleeve lock barely engages into the notch / detent on the bolt and that's what came loose during the match. They are sending me a Fedex overnite return label to send back the bolt.

20 rounds. Pic.View attachment 483713
One of the best tips I got is do not hang onto a shot. Meaning get the rifle up , sights on target and accept your wobble then snap off a shot when you get your sight picture. This should take a few secounds. If you find yourself holding off the shot for more than 8 seconds or so reset. Rifle down deep breath and do it again.
Natural Point of Aim helps. I also need to add some windage especially with the M1 as I tend to cant the rifle.

This effect can show itself when you seem to shoot rapid score the same or better than slow fire.
Pellet rifle practice is my only saving.
Take a few more range sessions. See any patterns develope.
Call your shots. Write them down.

Corrective lenses. I prefer whole lens correction.
Im bouncing from +.50 add a +1.0 depends on the rifle. Some rifles shooting off hand i have to place the left nose pad on the right side of my nose to get the frame out of the way.

Last edited:
One of the best tips I got is do not hang onto a shot. Meaning get the rifle up , sights on target and accept your wobble then snap off a shot when you get your sight picture. This should take a few secounds. If you find yourself holding off the shot for more than 8 seconds or so reset. Rifle down deep breath and do it again.
Natural Point of Aim helps. I also need to add some windage especially with the M1 as I tend to cant the rifle.

This effect can show itself when you seem to shoot rapid score the same or better than slow fire.
Pellet rifle practice is my only saving.
Take a few more range sessions. See any patterns develope.
Call your shots. Write them down.

Corrective lenses. I prefer whole lens correction.
Im bouncing from +.50 add a +1.0 depends on the rifle. Some rifles shooting off hand i have to place the left nose pad on the right side of my nose to get the frame out of the way.
Shot some more offhand today (30 rounds at 100 yards)
Offhand is hard. Especially for an old guy. Should have started sooner. (I am 68yo in November.)
I need to see the front sight better. With no magnification, it's a shitblob.

I am finally able to accurately call my shots. This Italian guy I know said the same thing about not keeping the rifle up too long waiting for the perfect alignment.
BTW, Sunday I shot 81 Slow fire, 91 Rapid fire....with one X...

Shot some more offhand today (30 rounds at 100 yards)
Offhand is hard. Especially for an old guy. Should have started sooner. (I am 68yo in November.)
I need to see the front sight better. With no magnification, it's a shitblob.
i started with +.25 on my sight hood on my AR now im at +1.00
+.50 still works with the smaller rear apertures.
which can be a problem seeing clearly through with anything under .050
Oh the fun.

i started with +.25 on my sight hood on my AR now im at +1.00
+.50 still works with the smaller rear apertures.
which can be a problem seeing clearly through with anything under .050
Oh the fun.
The ShootingSight guy is a great source for apertures, wider front sights, etc. I have a .0465 aperture for the CMP 03A3 but could not get it installed because the screw slot was wrecked. No matter, that sight would not stay put during the match so I ordered an aftermarket sight assembly and I'll put the aftermarket sight on that. I bought a USMC wide front sight blade for it and filed it down to ~.075" wide. Those 03 front sights look like a little string of fuzz to older eyes.

Hopefully I'll get the return label soon to deal with the bolt issue. I found what's supposed to be an original Remington bolt still in cosmoline, so once CMP takes care of the bolt problem I'll have a spare. The 03A3 bolt and 03 National Match bolts both headspace correctly in either rifle, so the A3 must be at or close to spec.

The ShootingSight guy is a great source for apertures, wider front sights, etc. I have a .0465 aperture for the CMP 03A3 but could not get it installed because the screw slot was wrecked. No matter, that sight would not stay put during the match so I ordered an aftermarket sight assembly and I'll put the aftermarket sight on that. I bought a USMC wide front sight blade for it and filed it down to ~.075" wide. Those 03 front sights look like a little string of fuzz to older eyes.

Hopefully I'll get the return label soon to deal with the bolt issue. I found what's supposed to be an original Remington bolt still in cosmoline, so once CMP takes care of the bolt problem I'll have a spare. The 03A3 bolt and 03 National Match bolts both headspace correctly in either rifle, so the A3 must be at or close to spec.
Nice , Unless i can get right on top of the rear sight , like on the AR I need .050” or i see a bunch of cobwebs or sometimes even a black dot!!!

Lots of discussion on the forum regarding M1 Garands lately. Want to learn how to shoot one properly and hit the bullseye at 200 yards? C'mon out to Pembroke on Sunday.

Sub-match is Modern Military, which includes AR's and AK's. Some of us will be shooting M1A's. The club has mats and shooting jackets. I have a Bubba size shooting jacket and slings to loan if anyone needs- just let me know in advance.

Lots of discussion on the forum regarding M1 Garands lately. Want to learn how to shoot one properly and hit the bullseye at 200 yards? C'mon out to Pembroke on Sunday.

Sub-match is Modern Military, which includes AR's and AK's. Some of us will be shooting M1A's. The club has mats and shooting jackets. I have a Bubba size shooting jacket and slings to loan if anyone needs- just let me know in advance.
I will trt my best to help but you righties cant understand LH directions.

I highly advise contacting match director for ammo availability before making the ride if you plan on shooting club gun and ammo

come on down

For planning purposes, when might the match be over? 8:30-5 on the flyer. But 35 shots total and I’m not that slow of a shot… lol.

For planning purposes, when might the match be over? 8:30-5 on the flyer. But 35 shots total and I’m not that slow of a shot… lol.
figure its aprox 45 minute per relay- 3 min prep 15 minute slow prone, 3 min prep 80sec Rapid Prone, 3 min prep 10min slow standing factor in another 10min+ for target prep line changes and such. IF everything goes smooth and the lines change quickly. Sooo depending on your relay and figure at least one pit duty you COULD be out of there by 1pm. Seems to me unless very busy we roll out by 3pm. We will try to keep you entertained....

see you sunday

figure its aprox 45 minute per relay- 3 min prep 15 minute slow prone, 3 min prep 80sec Rapid Prone, 3 min prep 10min slow standing factor in another 10min+ for target prep line changes and such. IF everything goes smooth and the lines change quickly. Sooo depending on your relay and figure at least one pit duty you COULD be out of there by 1pm. Seems to me unless very busy we roll out by 3pm. We will try to keep you entertained....

see you sunday
1-3pm seems reasonable. No worries, just trying to plan my day after. Thanks for the info. I’m an hour drive each way. So trying to gage it.

Back
Top Bottom