2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

For some reason I can't get my printer to get those NRA B8 targets to print properly (size and centering that is). Any tips?
Make sure you don't have Fit to Page or Shrink to Fit, etc. selected?

I'm hoping to shoot a couple targets on Friday. Going to be very cold. Haven't decided on what to shoot.

Target 1 - 94/1X Target 2 - 88

Climbed out of my hole today to test a rifle I've owned for a few years but never shot and figured I'd post a score or two for the winter warmer!

I should start by saying that I shamelessly pleaded via sticky note for an HRA with GI wood when I ordered this beauty. I explained that my grandfather, James Everett Williams Sr., worked at Harrington and Richardson after serving in three separate branches of service of the US military. Two branches, Army and Navy, during WWII and the Army Air Forces after the war had ended. He passed away when I was 11 or 12 and long before I had any interest or understanding of how incredible his time in the military must have been.

Anyway...long story long...I think the wait time was still about 6 months or so, but one day I came home and I had a note from the FedEx douche that he decided to keep my rifle for the night. Needless to say, I was pissed that I had to leave work the next day to stay home until he got returned with the rifle I wouldn't shoot for another couple of years.

I gotta say, between this and my IHC, I really lucked out in the 'luck of the draw' from CMP. I got pretty much all HRA parts save for the bolt and rear sight and maybe the gas cylinder. The bore is the loosest I've received as a service grade at 2+. Last week I saw someone posted here that there was a 15% off coupon on eBay and I decided it was finally time to start 'correcting' the rifle.

I found a gorgeous bolt with the correct lot number and ordered it right away. A few days later I got it home and stripped it and wouldn't ya know it even head-spaced just fine! I took the rifle completely apart (like everything, everything) and soaked the parts in kerosene/mineral spirits for a few days and then brush scrubbed in the parts washer. A few more days to air dry while I was at drill last weekend and by the time I got home everything was mostly dried off enough for me to get assembling.

The only thing I did was peen the gas cylinder and change out the gas lock for one that timed better than the one that was on there originally. I could really care less if something as negligible as a gas lock is correct or not as long as it gives me what I want in the way of accuracy.

I never intended to shoot this rifle...I wanted to keep it sacred and safe to honor my Grampa. Well to hell with that! He'd probably 'box my ears' for even thinking that rubbish!

So here she is in all her glory...No idea at all when she was shot last, but she's definitely staying in the rotation. 1954 with matching barrel, bolt, op rod and complete trigger group (still not sure how to ID stocks between HRA and IHC though)

IMG_2021.jpg IMG_2022.jpg IMG_2023.jpg

It was about 3:45 or 4 by the time I got to the range after work, and it was definitely getting darker out already. I set up and let Tank run around a little, loaded up an enbloc and set up my sling and away we go!

IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2026.jpg

Squeezed out a 94 with 1 SUPER X! Hot damn what a rifle! I NEVER expected this kind of accuracy out of a rifle with a 2+ muzzle wear reading...but I'll be damned! I don't think I've ever shot an X that actually knocked the X off the paper :cool:

IMG_2027.jpg IMG_2028.jpg IMG_2029.jpg IMG_2030.jpg

For some reason, you can never really tell how dark it is getting in my photos...but it was kinda hard to see the target clearly. Coupled with the dropping temps, I had every excuse in the world to pull shots and rush to end up with an 88 :D

Got a nice little group other than the pulled shots though!

You know what, at least I grew a set and decided to stop collecting and start shooting...and I EVEN took the opportunity to RECORD my sling setting so I can actually not have to fiddle with the damn thing every time I shoot a Garand moving forward. Of course, this might change without a winter jacket/gloves on, but at least I know where I'm at for the rest of THIS match! :rolleyes:

IMG_2031.jpg IMG_2032.jpg

Last edited:
90-1x

I managed to get out with the K98 today.
Half of my reloads were 198gr with 43gr IMR 4064 and half were 150gr with IMR 3031 which I am trying to finish off.

I started with the IMR 4064 with the 198gr. The first three shots were the high ones you see in the eight ring. Then, I overcompensated with the two at the bottom left. The last five were pretty good. It seems like at 100 yds I'm kind of in between a 6 o'clock hold or holding over the target depending on where I set the rear sight. At 2 it's pretty high, at 1 it's quite low with 198gr.
20190111_233248.jpg

While downrange collecting this target I returned to find a Mass State Trooper handling his firearm on the line despite me being downrange [thinking]. Not a good look and if he were not a LEO I would have said something but I didn't want to potentially trigger an issue.

I had trouble getting the IMR 3031 w/ 150 gr on the plates; IMR 3031 has always been a poor performer for me, I'm nearly done with the lb I have. In the end, it was hitting really high. I didn't expect the switch from 198 to 150 to make such a dramatic difference at 100yds.

I am really glad @Mountain runs these, it's one of the bright spots of winter. So an extra thank you to him.
Next time out I might go with the M1917 to try to beat @majspud 's WWI score. I loaded some necksized brass for it. Or, I might go with my Lee-Enfield for which I've loaded several rounds. If I recall correctly, I had a 97 scored target last winter with it. Overall, next to my match M1, it might be my most accurate rifle.

Last edited:
90-1x

I managed to get out with the K98 today.
Half of my reloads were 198gr with 43gr IMR 4064 and half were 150gr with IMR 3031 which I am trying to finish off.

I started with the IMR 4064 with the 198gr. The first three shots were the high ones you see in the eight ring. Then, I overcompensated with the two at the bottom left. The last five were pretty good. It seems like at 100 yds I'm kind of in between a 6 o'clock hold or holding over the target depending on where I set the rear sight. At 2 it's pretty high, at 1 it's quite low with 198gr.
View attachment 263789

While downrange collecting this target I returned to find a Mass State Trooper handling his firearm on the line despite me being downrange [thinking]. Not a good look and if he were not a LEO I would have said something but I didn't want to potentially trigger an issue.

I had trouble getting the IMR 3031 w/ 150 gr on the plates; IMR 3031 has always been a poor performer for me, I'm nearly done with the lb I have. In the end, it was hitting really high. I didn't expect the switch from 198 to 150 to make such a dramatic difference at 100yds.

I am really glad @Mountain runs these, it's one of the bright spots of winter. So an extra thank you to him.
Next time out I might go with the M1917 to try to beat @majspud 's WWI score. I loaded some necksized brass for it. Or, I might go with my Lee-Enfield for which I've loaded several rounds. If I recall correctly, I had a 97 scored target last winter with it. Overall, next to my match M1, it might be my most accurate rifle.
Should have gave that cop a rules reminder. My daughter would have.
Nice shooting and bravo to you for bringing out the old steel to be shot. As for throat and muzzle readings they only give a little insight on barrel life/condition. Some Garand lovers get all frothy over LMR barrels. I snagged a HRA with one. Never got much better than 8 ring. Pulled it and installed a criterion ...ah now its 10 ring when "I" show up shooting well.

Nice work Dakar652 and Daekken!!!

I think when winter is over and it's time to dole out awards I'll need to break down honorary mentions: WWI, WWII, etc. so long as shooters provide some detail on their hardware. It's my pleasure to fire up this postal match as it's very entertaining for me to see what the members shoot and how they do with different loads.

It's almost shorts weather this morning- already up to 11F degrees and climbing LOL. I'd like to go shooting but probably need to practice ski racing since I had crappy runs in my league this week. I guess better than having crappy runs in my race suit...

I have some of the old Lapua .310" D166 Buck Rogers space ship bullets loaded up and ready to go for my M39 and PU sniper (I'll use the irons on the PU). I bought a couple hundred Hornady 150 SST's in .312" for the Mosins but will have to pick them up from out of state because Grafs is a bunch of pussies.

When I finally get to the range I'll be bringing enemies: Russian vs. Finn rifles, American vs. German pistols, and Northern Aggressor vs. Rebel black powder pistols. :D

98-2X

Short on time so I took only the Finn to the range today.

WvLbGnKl.jpg

98-2X, Original wartime condition VKT M39. I'll add OAL later but load was D166 Lapuas over 43.2 grains Varget, CCI large rifle primers, Herters brass made by someone else probably. I made 4 shots on another target to figure out the Kentucky windage and where to hold then shot the next 10 as above. 1st shot I took hit the X in the X-ring [smile]. 1st 3 shots for ~.94" group. 1st 5 shots ~2.24" group. The two 9's were my last two shots- squeezed into the black too much then overcompensated low for the last shot at 7:00 outer 9-ring.

I think the load worked great and I like how the D166 projectiles worked. Recoil was relatively mild and accuracy was way better than I put on paper. All the usual excuses- in a rush, getting dark, etc. I'll probably take this rifle and load to Pembroke for one of the Vintage matches.

98-2X

Short on time so I took only the Finn to the range today.

WvLbGnKl.jpg

98-2X, Original wartime condition VKT M39. I'll add OAL later but load was D166 Lapuas over 43.2 grains Varget, CCI large rifle primers, Herters brass made by someone else probably. I made 4 shots on another target to figure out the Kentucky windage and where to hold then shot the next 10 as above. 1st shot I took hit the X in the X-ring [smile]. 1st 3 shots for ~.94" group. 1st 5 shots ~2.24" group. The two 9's were my last two shots- squeezed into the black too much then overcompensated low for the last shot at 7:00 outer 9-ring.

I think the load worked great and I like how the D166 projectiles worked. Recoil was relatively mild and accuracy was way better than I put on paper. All the usual excuses- in a rush, getting dark, etc. I'll probably take this rifle and load to Pembroke for one of the Vintage matches.
Very impressive. Looks like a very promising load. Where did you get the projectiles from? I might want to try it in my 91/30.
I think this week will be the Lee-Enfield. Thursday should be cold enough based on current forecasts.

Very impressive. Looks like a very promising load. Where did you get the projectiles from? I might want to try it in my 91/30.
I think this week will be the Lee-Enfield. Thursday should be cold enough based on current forecasts.

Thanks! Forgot how much I like shooting the M39. I think it actually shoots better in the cold but hey, it's a Finn.

I have a Finn trigger somewhere to put in my PU Sniper or I may just bank it for a future project. The PU trigger is actually decent for a Russian Mosin trigger plus I did a little work on it.

Updated prizes in post #1, as below:

If you will meet me face to face in the Central Mass / Worcester area I will include the ammo with the bandolier. That's 48 rounds of Greek HXP surplus, all matching headstamps. I won't ship the ammo but will ship everything else sans the ammo if you don't want to visit Central Mass.

Is this still running? I have a deadline this week so next week ill be needing some range time anyways! Finally get to test out the new sling and some different ammo I got for the M1A.

Target 1= RETRACTED. Too many holes you friggin' dope.
Target 2=93/1x with the Garand
Target 3= 91 with the T53
Target 4= 81 with the FAL

AR target.jpg
34565429-130F-4C80-A5C7-3ADB977748A8.jpeg
79234855-A7C0-4BAE-B183-8187C5F5C9B7.jpeg
FAL target.jpg

I know I can do better but I haven’t shot rifle on the regular in a while. I used to be really good with that FAL but I think there’s several reasons I just couldn’t keep it together today.
The T53 is... filthy and beat to hell but the bore is mint and it shoots well.
Best score I ever got with the Garand! Love that rifle. I think I need to spend more time with it.
AR I thought I’d beat everyone with. Nope. Ran my mouth and got owned!!
:)

Didn’t get around to shooting pistols today. I’ll get those in later this month hopefully.

Last edited:
Target 1= 94/2x with the AR

View attachment 264083
View attachment 264085
View attachment 264086
View attachment 264087

I know I can do better but I haven’t shot rifle on the regular in a while. I used to be really good with that FAL but I think there’s several reasons I just couldn’t keep it together today.
Best score I ever got with the Garand! Love that rifle. I think I need to spend more time with it.

Didn’t get around to shooting pistols today. I’ll get those in later this month hopefully.

That AR target is a 96. 2 or 3X is debatable.

Target 1= 94/2x with the AR

View attachment 264083
View attachment 264085
View attachment 264086
View attachment 264087

Nice shooting! That T53 shoots way better than I expected.

It was COLD today too!

It’s amazing. Everything but the bore on that gun looks like dog shit.

It was around 19 when we got going and warmed up to about 27 by early afternoon.
Cant always judge buy looks or bore condition.
My first Arisaka ended up costing $0. Guy laughed at me when I pulled it out at hanson CMP. Said I would be lucky to get all 20 rounds on paper. Lets just say I dont think he really knew how big the SR1 target is ....plus I knew it was a 8 ring or better rifle.
Cast loads are getting closer to all in the black though. W
$100 on the table for the taking.

Cant always judge buy looks or bore condition.
My first Arisaka ended up costing $0. Guy laughed at me when I pulled it out at hanson CMP. Said I would be lucky to get all 20 rounds on paper. Lets just say I dont think he really knew how big the SR1 target is ....plus I knew it was a 8 ring or better rifle.
Cast loads are getting closer to all in the black though. W
$100 on the table for the taking.

The Sako M39 I sold looked pristine, while the VKT I kept is truly fugly and not even close to Sweaty Ben's description on his website. I was tempted to send it back but it was kinda cool in a beat to sh!t sorta way. It can shoot, however, and that's all I really care about so I kept it.

Holy crap you’re right. What the hell was I doing yesterday. Do-over in order.

Most likely one of the small black patches covering a previous hole fell off from impact of one of your last ten shots. Happens to me in cold weather.

The parsimonious yankee in me would allow the full score of 104.

No matter how you score it, a nice group and well centered.

Soon as we get some snow I intend to give it a try with the old AR A2.

I'm gonna re-do it regardless. At one point yesterday, I had three different targets up, shooting at different ones with different rifles and I know at least twice I accidentally shot a 10-round string at two different targets and had to run down, tape and start over. Ridiculous. I should probably just bring one rifle and one target to each range visit from here on out.
I didn't even write down where my POA should be on each 4 of those rifles for optimal centered POI. Rookie shit. I do remember that the T53 hits exactly at the top of the front post @ 100 yards, as opposed to a 6-hold like I like it. I think Garand was a 6-hold @ bottom of the black, and AR was 6-hold @ bottom of paper. The FAL used to be bottom of paper as well but I couldn't dial in with it yesterday so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom