2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

Franco filled my rear sight when he spun on the new barrel. Later on I found out he replaced the front sight as well. Rifle is dead on at 200 w/ battle sight.

Mine shoots well to POA with the leaf/slider as well, but a little guinea told me to try and get my battlesight working for the 200 yard line if I want my rifle to compete. The leaf sight is definitely necessary for ‘reaching out’, but I think for repeatable shots, it might be better to stick to the battlesight zero for the 200yd CMP matches.

Fair enough. I don't mind figuring out a hold for the battlesight but if I have a way of making my point of impact and my point of aim match I like to use it. I'm so used to holding low with many rifles (i.e. early Mausers) it's nice to be be able to hold right on target for a change lol

Mine shoots well to POA with the leaf/slider as well, but a little guinea told me to try and get my battlesight working for the 200 yard line if I want my rifle to compete. The leaf sight is definitely necessary for ‘reaching out’, but I think for repeatable shots, it might be better to stick to the battlesight zero for the 200yd CMP matches.
Are you saying your battle aperture and 200 yard “leaf” aperture shoot to POA/POI at 200 yards?

Target 1: 86-1x
Target 2: 91-0x

20190117_142906.jpg

Took out the Lee Enfield today. It felt a lot colder than it probably was.

My hands got pretty painful and cold even with light gloves.
My Lee Enfield is a 1942 Canadian (Long Branch) piece.
20190117_142934.jpg
First, I went with my CFE223 loads.
Not so good. I have only used it with .223 before and it was kind of disappointing. That was with 55gr projectiles. These loads were 150gr. I have heard CFE223 tends to perform better with heavier projectiles, maybe need to give that a try.
20190117_213954.jpg

20190117_142913.jpg

Then, I swapped over to IMR3031 which has never been very good for me.
It was closer to point of aim than the CFE223 seemed to be, ended up with a 91.
20190117_214008.jpg

Other than the cold, it was pretty pleasant outside and I had the range to myself.
Not sure what I'll run next, thinking the Eddystone.

20190117_143004.jpg

Snag a box of hornady vintage and see how it does.
Enfields have long throats and may not do well with shorter bullets. Try one of the 174 grain match bullets or even round nose soft points. i know one old timer who pulled all his 762x39 bullets after he found out several thousand rounds had been damaged by a water leak in his basement.
He gets SR1 10 ring accuracy with those.

Snag a box of hornady vintage and see how it does.
Enfields have long throats and may not do well with shorter bullets. Try one of the 174 grain match bullets or even round nose soft points. i know one old timer who pulled all his 762x39 bullets after he found out several thousand rounds had been damaged by a water leak in his basement.
He gets SR1 10 ring accuracy with those.
I've had good results with other loads, I'll have to see if I have it written down but with (I believe) 4064 (maybe it was 4895) I scored mid nineties.

I've just been a bum about recording what loads have and haven't worked other than with the M1. Yesterday I just wanted to try CFE223 again since it's been sitting unused since I basically stopped loading .223.

Guess what I did. Only 37F, but maybe I can get a papal dispensation from Mountain. Knew better than to bring a rifle. Yes, drove myself; with my wife’s OK, I might add.

50 ft NRA target at 50 feet. 1941 Army Beretta. Winchester black box SD was wild. Did better with Remington ball. Flawless.

Colt 1911 delivered to Springfield 11/29/1917. WWB; flawless. Looks like 71 for the Beretta and 77 for the Colt; no X.

Not bad for a guy dead 85 hours ago [smile]

t

Attachments

• 344FFD84-93EB-4930-BDA2-BFB98453A50B.jpeg
    344FFD84-93EB-4930-BDA2-BFB98453A50B.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 7C2C27A9-36C9-45D2-89D9-307C753E6CB5.jpeg
    7C2C27A9-36C9-45D2-89D9-307C753E6CB5.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Guess what I did. Only 37F, but maybe I can get a papal dispensation from Mountain. Knew better than to bring a rifle. Yes, drove myself. with my wife’s OK, I might add.

50 ft NRA target at 50 feet. 1941 Army Beretta. Winchester black box SD was wild. Did better with Remington ball. Flawless.

Colt 1911 delivered to Springfield 11/29/1917. WWB; flawless. Looks like 71 for the Beretta and 77 for the Colt; no X.

Not bad for a guy dead 85 hours ago [smile]

t

Nice shootin' Majspud! You get a pass regarding weather requirements but be careful- don't knock that stent loose!

Also- you should probably rest up and just spend more time at the computer. Ask your wife to give you a more ergonomic mouse so you don't strain yourself:

Of course not an official entry cuz I'm ineligible, but I think my next trip will be with the .308 M1 that I built all by my lonesome (except barrel mount & headspace). Curious to see how good I can do compared to this one from last summer.

ah3qj7Jl.jpg

Or maybe the Organ Donor built by Franco:

SUyHOItl.jpg

Keep in mind that these are match built rifles. The .308 has a Criterion barrel and the Franco Special a Kreiger that was chambered by the feisty Italian himself.

Aha- Here's the .308 from last winter, shot in minus 7 degree weather:

p6tUHY4l.jpg

I think I may have been motivated to shoot quickly. M1 ran like a top. I use Mobil 1 grease which did fine at -7F.

Last edited:
Target 1: 86-1x
Target 2: 91-0x

View attachment 264813

Took out the Lee Enfield today. It felt a lot colder than it probably was.

My hands got pretty painful and cold even with light gloves.
My Lee Enfield is a 1942 Canadian (Long Branch) piece.
View attachment 264814
First, I went with my CFE223 loads.
Not so good. I have only used it with .223 before and it was kind of disappointing. That was with 55gr projectiles. These loads were 150gr. I have heard CFE223 tends to perform better with heavier projectiles, maybe need to give that a try.
View attachment 264815

View attachment 264816

Then, I swapped over to IMR3031 which has never been very good for me.
It was closer to point of aim than the CFE223 seemed to be, ended up with a 91.
View attachment 264817

Other than the cold, it was pretty pleasant outside and I had the range to myself.
Not sure what I'll run next, thinking the Eddystone.

View attachment 264818

Nice! Really like that Enfield of yours. Kicking myself for not grabbing one at Pullman- it was on consignment for a pretty good price.

Target 1: 61-0x
Target 2: 70-1x
Target 3: 77-0x
Target 4: 78-0x

Just barely cool enough up here. Went earlier than usual since I knew it was going to warm up.
upload_2019-1-18_21-54-33.png

Took my SAA clone in 357. I picked it up earlier this month.
saa.jpg

It has taken some getting used to, especially gripping vs. semi auto and the sight system. I'm definitely now interested in revolvers and want to add a Model 10 or 66, preferably an old one via C&R.

The single action plus needing to go to half cock and rotate the cylinder for loading and unloading definitely slows things down. Takes me around 35 minutes to shoot a box of 50. I've started reloading 38spl (my dies could do 357 too if I ever feel like it) and it's a treat to load. I've prepped about 200 cases to probably load this weekend with Win231.

Onto the targets. 75 feet, B-8. I didn't rush these but I didn't take my time either. Just shot a five round cylinder, unloaded, reloaded, and shot another cylinder.
1.jpg

I had never shot a B-8 target before. Printed at work, of course. Usually with pistols I'm either shooting plates or USPSA targets in a match.

2.jpg
Thank goodness for mac's suggestion of "mercy 5s" on misses.

3.jpg

One silver lining is that each target showed a slight improvement.
The more I shoot it, the more comfortable I'm getting with it.
Still haven't tried fanning haha.

4.jpg

I thought these touches were pretty cool:
patents.jpg
Mod1873.jpg

I guess I could do the Tokarev or Makarov as well. Strictly speaking I suppose my G19 would qualify as well, but I don't plan to run that. I think I'll stick to rifles.

Next Up
fFifqvem.jpg

ammo ? I hope the box of 175gn FGMM in the truck has 10 rounds in it. To cold to go look!

Took my SAA clone in 357. I picked it up earlier this month.
View attachment 264973

It has taken some getting used to, especially gripping vs. semi auto and the sight system. I'm definitely now interested in revolvers and want to add a Model 10 or 66, preferably an old one via C&R.

Cool. I have a nickel Uberti Cattleman in .45Colt I bought from a fellow club member a few years back. I enjoy shooting that thing just for the cool factor but the trigger is atrocious. I'm all over paper with it even at close distances. I've been thinking of trying to work on it myself, the action guts aren't that complicated, but I know nothing about how to work on Peacemakers. Another factor is that if you cock the hammer too fast/hard on it, the cylinder will overtravel. I believe to fix that I need to replace the hand? Or hand spring. I'm not sure. Someday when I'm bored I'll dive into it.

Cool. I have a nickel Uberti Cattleman in .45Colt I bought from a fellow club member a few years back. I enjoy shooting that thing just for the cool factor but the trigger is atrocious. I'm all over paper with it even at close distances. I've been thinking of trying to work on it myself, the action guts aren't that complicated, but I know nothing about how to work on Peacemakers. Another factor is that if you cock the hammer too fast/hard on it, the cylinder will overtravel. I believe to fix that I need to replace the hand? Or hand spring. I'm not sure. Someday when I'm bored I'll dive into it.
Mine's the Taylors & Co. Smokewagon deluxe; they get worked over by Taylor's and they slick them up. The trigger on mine is 3lbs and feels lighter. I don't know how to work on them myself. I know Jimmy in Derry, NH of Cowboy Gun Works does work on these kinds of revolvers. When I was going to get a Vaquero I was going to have him work on it, but chose the Smokewagon instead since it's truer to the original design with the half-cock loading, four clicks, etc.

So print two SR1 centers on a single large sheet of paper and shoot at 100? Strange rule and I'd have a problem with that or them with me- for my scoped bolt guns I will often put multiple small target stickers on a clean backer for distances as far as 300 yards.
Sort of what I do at the same club. I bring large scraps of cardboard from work and spray roughly SR1 sized circles on them. Think theyre trying to cut down on target stands being chewed.

Im thinking of building a tear down target stand, which hopefully will last. I think my club has maybe 2 left from people shooting the legs.

Sort of what I do at the same club. I bring large scraps of cardboard from work and spray roughly SR1 sized circles on them. Think theyre trying to cut down on target stands being chewed.

Im thinking of building a tear down target stand, which hopefully will last. I think my club has maybe 2 left from people shooting the legs.

OK, I can understand that issue. I'm range chairman at my club and have to coordinate frame building or rebuilding. It's amazing how quickly that boneheads can destroy target frames. I've had to remind people to not put their targets directly over the edges of the cardboard, which is directly over the frames. Our worst issue is with shotgun shooters. I'm thinking it's Tactical Tommy shotgun shooters because the splintered frames often have a shredded silhouette target attached.

The last two times I've gone I've done two per stand. They're fairly small targets and while I don't get Xs all day, none have been hit as far as I can tell. Cuts down big time on travel back and forth. I bring my own stapler but will use the club's when there's staples loaded; they're tied to the walls so you have to bring your target stand all the way back. Since I only have about 40 minutes per trip, doing two per stand has been better. I place them both as close to the center as possible.

The shotgun guys love to disintegrate those frames though. I haven't used the indoor range in probably two years but I recall lots of the PVC pipe hangers in there getting busted as well.

The big problem is those that "TRY" to shoot the legs.
we have large 6' long target stands made of PT.
Club rules are paper targets only. The bottom of the paper target or cardboard backer has to be min of 45" off the ground. All steel tatgets go to base of 100 yard berm and not behind target stands. There is space between stands .
Then amazingly the stands 4' below the targets get shot up .?
I have these kicking around somewhere. Like the option of 1x2 or 2x4
NRA Portable Target Stand Official Store of the National Rifle Association

Last edited:
Well i tried to get out today. 5'F when I pulled up to club.
Gun ,ammo, even dug out my extra warm jacket and g!oves.
THEN my boss says lets skip lunch and bail early! Whoo hoo!
So off I go. Get to club, roads clear, gets open . Things are looking good. Then it starts.
target shack is frozen shut , door opened just enough to sneak a frame out but cant get to the base!!! Ok no problem i will use the large stands down range. As i start the walk I see that although the snow and ice did not cover them it filled the space where target legs go with some sort of diamond like material. A few whacks with the target legs ........who am I kidding... After slipping around the ice range and one of my gloves blowing off in a gust of sub double digit windchill i gave up.
Did not think to bring my own stand , which as I write this I remember its under 4" of frozen slush and snow also!
Maybe tomorrow

The big problem is those that "TRY" to shoot the legs.
we have large 6' long target stands made of PT.
Club rules are paper targets only. The bottom of the paper target or cardboard backer has to be min of 45" off the ground. All steel tatgets go to base of 100 yard berm and not behind target stands. There is space between stands .
Then amazingly the stands 4' below the targets get shot up .?
I have these kicking around somewhere. Like the option of 1x2 or 2x4
NRA Portable Target Stand Official Store of the National Rifle Association

Yeah, people suck. We had 3 - 1" thick steel plates at the 200y range. People started shooting the frames (which were steel angles) and now there are none working. Those are nice, but i think by the rules at my club I have to go with the 1x2 style frame that slides down into a couple of upturned metal angles that are at the 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yard lines. Ill have to ask.

Yeah, people suck. We had 3 - 1" thick steel plates at the 200y range. People started shooting the frames (which were steel angles) and now there are none working. Those are nice, but i think by the rules at my club I have to go with the 1x2 style frame that slides down into a couple of upturned metal angles that are at the 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 yard lines. Ill have to ask.
yes many clubs just use the 1x2 strapping. 1 club i go to now just stables carboard to 2 1x2 slats. used to have nice sturdy frames but the "build party" no longer really does them.
2nd club I go to makes decent frames still but must be better shooters there as the frames dont seem as shot up ?

Im trying to get a friend of mine to build me a few jigs to be able to just lay the pieces down and hit them with the nail gun. bang out several in short time. I am also trying to work out a source for strapping

We have had 2 inch metal poles sunk in concrete that you use string between pairs to hold your targets with binder clamps. Before that we had drywall boards that you slipped inside a rebar frame; they never held up very well.

t

Back
Top Bottom