2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

I'm gonna re-do it regardless. At one point yesterday, I had three different targets up, shooting at different ones with different rifles and I know at least twice I accidentally shot a 10-round string at two different targets and had to run down, tape and start over. Ridiculous. I should probably just bring one rifle and one target to each range visit from here on out.
I didn't even write down where my POA should be on each 4 of those rifles for optimal centered POI. Rookie shit. I do remember that the T53 hits exactly at the top of the front post @ 100 yards, as opposed to a 6-hold like I like it. I think Garand was a 6-hold @ bottom of the black, and AR was 6-hold @ bottom of paper. The FAL used to be bottom of paper as well but I couldn't dial in with it yesterday so who knows.
i use luggage tags and hang them on the sling swivel. If I did not look at the tag on the Arisaka I would have forgot to hold bottom of paper on full size SR1 or aprox 12” low

I’m using this thread to document my POA vs POI :D

Notice how i’m Shooting two targets per rifle for my entries? First one to find my hold and second one for the money shots!

Though I think the match proprietor just out scored me with an open sight rifle from the comm block, so I got some more practice to do.

Notice how i’m Shooting two targets per rifle for my entries? First one to find my hold and second one for the money shots!

Though I think the match proprietor just out scored me with an open sight rifle from the comm block, so I got some more practice to do.

Same for me; practice on the left, score on the right.

t

My MA range restricts you to one target per holder at a time so I've been using the steel plates to make sure I'm "in the ballpark" and then proceeding to my target. Thus the first five on my K98 being a bit awry before dialing it in a bit.

Also doesn't help to have to run two hundred yards to verify the hits on the target.

Finn = comm block? Mr. White Death himself takes exception and reminds you of his score vs. the commies:

0E13D6A239035B601C38291C22102F837719AAD0

My MA range restricts you to one target per holder at a time so I've been using the steel plates to make sure I'm "in the ballpark" and then proceeding to my target. Thus the first five on my K98 being a bit awry before dialing it in a bit.

Also doesn't help to have to run two hundred yards to verify the hits on the target.

So print two SR1 centers on a single large sheet of paper and shoot at 100? Strange rule and I'd have a problem with that or them with me- for my scoped bolt guns I will often put multiple small target stickers on a clean backer for distances as far as 300 yards.

So print two SR1 centers on a single large sheet of paper and shoot at 100? Strange rule and I'd have a problem with that or them with me- for my scoped bolt guns I will often put multiple small target stickers on a clean backer for distances as far as 300 yards.
I've put multiples when shooting at my NH club and I think I might just do it. It's literally printer paper and lighter than most heavier cardboardesque targets. Considering the MSP trooper that flagged me on Friday, I'd say putting two paper targets on one frame is the lesser of two evils.
No spotting scope?
I only remember it about 50% of the time and the times that I do remember it, not always very helpful since I tend to be shooting late afternoon and it's not very bright to begin with. The hill behind the targets is nearly black (dirt) so with a black target like the SR1, the hits are kind of hard to detect sometimes.

Got a cheap $30 60x scope on sale. It's not great, but I can see the individual hits at 100.

t

Cool , when you get them post a report. My mosin does not tickle me enough to spend any more time or money on it. Did the Finn trigger up grade. Made my own custom front sight for cast loads and I’m done

Last edited:
I will probably use a pistol when I’m allowed to play again. Less weight, less walking

1917 M1911, but need ammo
P38

Already shot the P1, Victory, S/W M66
t

Crud, I just got back from shooting my SAA clone, and it didn't dawn on me that it technically could have qualified for the pistol division. Maybe next week. Tomorrow, barring any complications (lack of snow, crowded range, etc.), will be Lee Enfield day. I did up 20 rounds with CFE223 and I have twenty rounds with Accurate 2495.

I will probably use a pistol when I’m allowed to play again. Less weight, less walking

1917 M1911, but need ammo
P38

Already shot the P1, Victory, S/W M66
t

Get well soon! Glad we added pistols...

Crud, I just got back from shooting my SAA clone, and it didn't dawn on me that it technically could have qualified for the pistol division. Maybe next week. Tomorrow, barring any complications (lack of snow, crowded range, etc.), will be Lee Enfield day. I did up 20 rounds with CFE223 and I have twenty rounds with Accurate 2495.

Yep- that's a milsurp clone. I plan on doing a SAA (Northern Aggressors :D) vs. Navy (Rebels) shoot and will post how well I do (or don't do).

Target 1 - 73

Target 2 - 90

Got out after work today with the Winchester M1917 and some Nosler factory ammo I basically bought for the brass. It was reading 34 in Westborough when I left work, but by the time I was actually shooting it was at 32 on the nipple!

IMG_2097.PNG
Phew...just made it!

This rifle I bought when the stars aligned last spring and somehow this almost all Winchester beauty with an amazing original barrel found its way into my safe.

IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2093.jpg IMG_2091.jpg IMG_2092.jpg

I sprinted down to the 100 and set up my target...rolled out my mat and chose a sling setting that just so happened to be correct for tension and away I went!

IMG_2082.jpg IMG_2085.jpg IMG_2086.jpg IMG_2087.jpg
Shooting a little bit high, as expected using the battlesight. Bonus is, I might not be too far off for the 200 yard matches at Pembroke if I find my hold.

Adjust fire, thumb screw, high pocket of the shoulder, reach for the sky, high/firm pistol grip, slow steady squeeze, sight alignment/sight picture...breathe

IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2089.jpg IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2096.jpg

while not perfect, I knew I pulled a shot. with that one exception, this is one of the better groups i've ever had from any milsurp in my safe!

IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg

If I could JUST get them all in that 10 ring, this might be a seriously good competitor for vintage this year!

IT...not me :/

Target 1 - 73

Target 2 - 90

Got out after work today with the Winchester M1917 and some Nosler factory ammo I basically bought for the brass. It was reading 34 in Westborough when I left work, but by the time I was actually shooting it was at 32 on the nipple!

View attachment 264561
Phew...just made it!

This rifle I bought when the stars aligned last spring and somehow this almost all Winchester beauty with an amazing original barrel found its way into my safe.

View attachment 264564 View attachment 264565 View attachment 264567 View attachment 264566

I sprinted down to the 100 and set up my target...rolled out my mat and chose a sling setting that just so happened to be correct for tension and away I went!

View attachment 264574 View attachment 264573 View attachment 264572 View attachment 264571
Shooting a little bit high, as expected using the battlesight. Bonus is, I might not be too far off for the 200 yard matches at Pembroke if I find my hold.

Adjust fire, thumb screw, high pocket of the shoulder, reach for the sky, high/firm pistol grip, slow steady squeeze, sight alignment/sight picture...breathe

View attachment 264570 View attachment 264569 View attachment 264563 View attachment 264562

while not perfect, I knew I pulled a shot. with that one exception, this is one of the better groups i've ever had from any milsurp in my safe!

View attachment 264560 View attachment 264559

If I could JUST get them all in that 10 ring, this might be a seriously good competitor for vintage this year!

you inspire me to get my bum out to try the challenge with my k31!

Target 1 - 73

Target 2 - 90

View attachment 264561
Phew...just made it!

View attachment 264564 View attachment 264565 View attachment 264567 View attachment 264566

View attachment 264574 View attachment 264573 View attachment 264572 View attachment 264571

View attachment 264570 View attachment 264569 View attachment 264563 View attachment 264562

Ahh yes getting them in the ten ring is key and seems to be even harder on match day.

Target 1 - 73

Target 2 - 90

View attachment 264561
Phew...just made it!

Good shooting! FWIW, my Winchester 1917 shoots to point of aim at 100 yards with the rear sight flipped up and the slider set to 200 yards...but, as always, your mileage may vary.

Mine shoots well to POA with the leaf/slider as well, but a little guinea told me to try and get my battlesight working for the 200 yard line if I want my rifle to compete. The leaf sight is definitely necessary for ‘reaching out’, but I think for repeatable shots, it might be better to stick to the battlesight zero for the 200yd CMP matches.

Last edited:
Mine shoots well to POA with the leaf/slider as well, but a little guinea told me to try and get my battlesight working for the 200 yard line if I want my rifle to compete. The leaf sight is definitely necessary for ‘reaching out’, but I think for repeatable shots, it might be better to stick to the battlesight zero.
You absolutely can get your battle sight zeroed for 200. Used to be able to find the M1917 front sight sets with different hieghts. Aprox .008" change in sight height is 1 moa-ish.
Although when using the battle sight you loose any chance of adjustment. Sure you can hold over/under too. Add to this , if you "zero" your battle aoerture for 200 you will loose that almost perfect zero you have now for 200 with what ever setting you shot the above group with.
Are you going to try and fill the rear aperture with JB weld and drill a smaller hole? Sadly i cant see clearly through much smaller than .055" . Im actually afraid to pull out my service rifle AR it has . 040" rear peep. Just dawned on my that upper has not been out in 4 years come april. Have to get to reading this year.

Those M1917s battle zero sight was for 400 yards with M1ball 174 grain ammo at around 2650fps.
Figure out a load you like and go from there.

Last edited:
You absolutely can get your battle sight zeroed for 200.
Although when using the battle sight you loose any chance of adjustment. Sure you can hold over/under too.
Are you going to try and fill the rear aperture with JB weld and drill a smaller hole? Sadly i cant see clearly through much smaller than .055" . Im actually afraid to pull out my service rifle AR it has . 040" rear peep. Just dawned on my that upper has not been out in 4 years come april. Have to get to reading this year.

I think i’ll be pretty close as is, and both the battle and the leaf sight already have the JB weld in them. I was trying to tweak at CMP Talladega a few weeks ago by reaming the holes out little by little with torch tip cleaners.

I accidentally may have gone a little too far with the reaming, but i can always do it again down the road if need be. The important part is that my windage seems to be dead nuts right now, whereas before My rounds were impacting left fairly consistently.

F6686FF1-72CF-46AD-9ED9-DCB417D86650.jpeg D7F60E26-F269-47A2-9C66-2E602353DED4.jpeg

I just need to work up some loads with 155’s and get someplace that I can reach out to 200yds for testing.

Back
Top Bottom