2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

Mountain

NES Member
Winter Warrior 2018 / 2019 is officially closed!

Thanks everyone for participating and please be patient while I tally results.

7d676b84-8d0f-4628-b574-4cf475a01db0-banner.jpg

Last year's Winter Warrior match was great fun for me and hopefully for many of you as well. Let's do it again!

Rules this winter will be a little different to better encourage participation. I may add more details, but for starters here's how this winter's postal match will run:
  • To win fabulous prizes (LOL), entrant must be a NES member.
  • Qualifying winter weather = snow cover on the ground and/or below freezing weather.
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Yes, even iron sight AR's are OK but they should be in as-issued configuration (A1 A2 or M4 based iron sights, no free float tubes / fore-ends).
  • Target will be the SR-1 'reduced' SR target shot at 100 yards. Alternately, you may submit a SR target from 200 yards and/or official scorecard from a CMP match. I'll post a link to a printable SR-1 'center' that prints out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper.
  • Preferred shooting position is prone but I completely understand if you have any physical limitations that require you to shoot from the bench. You don't even have to mention that you shot from the bench.
  • Winner of fabulous prizes will be determined by random drawing. Each target submitted gives you one entry. You may enter as many times as you like to increase your chances. Top score will win bragging rights and title of NES Winter Warrior.
  • Each entry must post (preferred) or alternately send me a pic of target shot & your rifle used to shoot it. I'm sure we would all like to know the history of your rifles and little about the loads you shoot. Hey, it's winter and we need moar cool stuff to read about!
  • So far for prizes I have a M1 Bayonet covered in cosmoline and a M1 .30-06 bandoleer with the cardboard spacers and enbloc clips included. I'll add to this between now and when winter comes.
That's it for now. If you have any cool 'Winter Warrior' pics, please post 'em!

Edit- Now adding 'Pistol Division':

• Service pistol or 'close enough' clones, any era. Heck, even cap and ball Army / Navy revolver replicas are OK. Any military- domestic or foreign.
  • In the spirit of longer distance marksmanship, official target will be the NRA B-8 shot at 25 yards, slow fire, any position.
  • One entry to the random drawing per target submitted. Highest score gets bragging rights until next winter.
  • I know we are all cheap bastards and bastardettes, so if you print up a B-8 center on 8-1/2x11 paper and don't have the full target, at your discretion you may count any shot off paper as a '5' (good idea from Mac).

Hey, it's New England- Embrace the Winter!

(Even if you are not in New England, all NES members shooting in winter conditions welcome.)

Updated with 'fabulous' (LOL) prizes:

Additional Prize Update 1/13

FRrCk4Sh.jpg

Original bayonet for M1 Garand, carefully preserved in vintage cosmoline unless I get industrious and remove that curse masquerading as a preset
ative.

Surplus bandoleer with cardboard inserts and enblocs included.

If you will meet me face to face in the Central Mass / Worcester area I will include the ammo with the bandolier. That's 48 rounds of Greek HXP surplus, all matching headstamps. I won't ship the ammo but will ship everything else sans the ammo if you don't want to visit Central Mass.

May add to this see above, and will ship on my dime except the ammo.

Reminder that prizes are via random drawing. One chance per target submitted, no limit. Top score for bragging rights only.

Last edited:
I’m in for this year again. I love shooting in the cold weather!!!!

Great!

Me too. No bugs, no sweating, no crowds at the range. M1 worked fine in -7 weather last year. Hope I don't get a chance to beat that because that means huge oil bill but if it comes I'll make the most of it. This winter I'm going to try some cast loads in the Finn M39, should be good fodder for this thread.

Winter is Coming!

7d676b84-8d0f-4628-b574-4cf475a01db0-banner.jpg

Last year's Winter Warrior match was great fun for me and hopefully for many of you as well. Let's do it again!

Rules this winter will be a little different to better encourage participation. I may add more details, but for starters here's how this winter's postal match will run:
  • To win fabulous prizes (LOL), entrant must be a NES member.
  • Qualifying winter weather = snow cover on the ground and/or below freezing weather.
  • Iron sight military rifles only, in original military calibers. Yes, even iron sight AR's are OK but they should be in as-issued configuration (no free-float tubes/fore-ends).
  • Target will be the SR-1 'reduced' SR target shot at 100 yards. Alternately, you may submit a SR target from 200 yards and/or official scorecard from a CMP match. I'll post a link to a printable SR-1 'center' that prints out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper.
  • Preferred shooting position is prone but I completely understand if you have any physical limitations that require you to shoot from the bench. You don't even have to mention that you shot from the bench.
  • Winner of fabulous prizes will be determined by random drawing. Each target submitted gives you one entry. You may enter as many times as you like to increase your chances. Top score will win bragging rights and title of NES Winter Warrior.
  • Each entry must post (preferred) or alternately send me a pic of target shot & your rifle used to shoot it. I'm sure we would all like to know the history of your rifles and little about the loads you shoot. Hey, it's winter and we need moar cool stuff to read about!
  • So far for prizes I have a M1 Bayonet covered in cosmoline and a M1 .30-06 bandoleer with the cardboard spacers and enbloc clips included. I'll add to this between now and when winter comes.
That's it for now. If you have any cool 'Winter Warrior' pics, please post 'em!

Hey, it's New England- Embrace the Winter!

(Even if you are not in New England, all NES members shooting in winter conditions welcome.)
I look at this picture and hear my great uncles voice telling me all about his winter training when they shipped him back to US. Learned how to shoot on ski's . Then spent many months in the mountains in northern Italy. Also says the army ruined his feet.

My shooting coat/hoodie combo would be much more comfortable in the winter weather. Way better than those 90 degree days during the height of high power season.

My shooting coat/hoodie combo would be much more comfortable in the winter weather. Way better than those 90 degree days during the height of high power season.
nope not allowed wool shirts and trousers only and maybe a m43 field jacket.
On a winter note. My great uncle cursed the shoepacs the army issued later in the war. Said they kept your feet dry from the outside but made your feet sweat something awful

nope not allowed wool shirts and trousers only and maybe a m43 field jacket.
On a winter note. My great uncle cursed the shoepacs the army issued later in the war. Said they kept your feet dry from the outside but made your feet sweat something awful

LOL if it’s below 20 I’ll be wearing a goose down parka made for arctic circle oilfield workers.

We can use AR’s this time?
Pshhh. Y’all are going down.

Yes, but...

No free float fore-end. Must be old school type with hand guards held front and back via delta rings- old school. AR's should be A1 A2 or M4 based, iron sights and no free float tubes.

I was hoping that including AR's would encourage some ladies and/or youngsters to participate. Frankly, I'm surprised that there's anyone left who has an AR with iron sights that are actually sighted in and not those 45-degree back up sights for show. Also, aren't you worried that the AR will jam in the cold?

[pot]

I keed, I keed. We hear this stuff whenever we show up to a CMP match with an AR...

Last edited:
Yes, but...

No free float fore-end. Must be old school type with hand guards held front and back via delta rings- old school. Baseline here is CMP 'Modern Military ' rules.

I was hoping that including AR's would encourage some ladies and/or youngsters to participate. Frankly, I'm surprised that there's anyone left who has an AR with iron sights that are actually sighted in and not those 45-degree back up sights for show. Also, aren't you worried that the AR will jam in the cold?

[pot]

I keed, I keed. We hear this stuff whenever we show up to a CMP match with an AR...

My AR is bare-bones old school. Everything about it is A2 except it has no bayonet lug or flash hider. I've never had an optic on any rifle I own except a single shot .22 for squirrel/ rabbit etc...

Yes, but...

No free float fore-end. Must be old school type with hand guards held front and back via delta rings- old school. Baseline here is CMP 'Modern Military ' rules.

[pot]

Please remove anything to do with cmp rules A1 A2 or M4 based iron sights no free float tubes should cover it well enough

If i find the time i will do a A2, M14, M1 and maybe a M1 carbine ...then one of the foriegn rifles. Although i will run cast in those?

Awesome, and perfect for the match. But... Be careful laying down the smack talk- you might eat some crow when you see how some of the wood stocked stuff shoots. LOL...

Oh I know. I enjoy shooting my milsurps more than the AR but the latter is just so damn accurate and easier/ cheaper to shoot. ;)
I traded one of my most coveted Colt 1911’s for the Garand earlier this year. I can’t think of any other trade scenario where I would have let that Colt go.

I don’t think we have had ink in the printer since the fax machine died
Yeah there's been a time or two I have been out of luck when relying on the office printer. When I determine it's working I try to print up a bunch and toss them in a manila folder on my desk. They moved the printer out of my room into a different room so I wait until everyone's out at lunch so that no one see I'm printing targets and wondering why.

My neck of the woods shows rain followed by 3-5" of snow for next Saturday. I'm pheasant hunting on Sunday, so some fresh snow cover will make it much easier to track birds on the move. I plan on being busy cleaning birds so iffy whether or not I will kick off my entry in the postal match. Yes, I'm ineligible for my own prizes, LOL, but I reserve the right to post scores for bragging rights.

Back
Top Bottom