2018 / 2019 Winter Warrior Postal Match

One of the “drills” I like to do occasionally is shoot the T53 Mosin standing offhand @100 yards, 5 rounds, and then jog down to see how I did. Then jog back, rinse and repeat. Shooting from a rest with a resting heartbeat is one thing. Shooting out of breath, unsupported is another.
Did that more than enough growing up and in my younger years...now with bad arthritis and running I know I wont hit shit. Even well rested off hand is not a strong point. My 2018 season 200 yard cmp average was 81

not really its a mad minute type of range trip for me.
If I make good time to and from work I get a solid 17 minutes to set up ,shoot and clean up.

Sounds a lot like my post-shift sprint to the range I've been making a few times a week for this postal match :D

I got a minute less of daylight every day until the 22nd, and now I get a minute more! Stand by for incoming!

One of the “drills” I like to do occasionally is shoot the T53 Mosin standing offhand @100 yards, 5 rounds, and then jog down to see how I did. Then jog back, rinse and repeat. Shooting from a rest with a resting heartbeat is one thing. Shooting out of breath, unsupported is another.

I think the biggest X factor in this equation is the T53 [rofl]

I tried shooting mine at a CMP match once for vintage and I think I scored in the low 30's for prone [laugh]

I'm finally, after two years of matches, shooting with a spotting scope when I have time to set it up...but every target I've posted for this match so far was preceeded by two 100yd sprints to bring my target down range, and then to pastie for the second round.

Last edited:
I think the biggest X factor in this equation is the T53 [rofl]

I know huh. Makes it very challenging just to hit paper! I’ll post pics of the gun and y’all will laugh your collective asses off. It looks like garbage. The bore is really crisp and clean though. I was amazed the day I got it in the mail and tore it apart like Ralphie on Christmas. When I first saw the exterior I just had to chuckle and say “Yup that’s what I paid for”. Then I inspected the bore with a flashlight, and hey it’s pretty damn decent!

I know huh. Makes it very challenging just to hit paper! I’ll post pics of the gun and y’all will laugh your collective asses off. It looks like garbage. The bore is really crisp and clean though. I was amazed the day I got it in the mail and tore it apart like Ralphie on Christmas. When I first saw the exterior I just had to chuckle and say “Yup that’s what I paid for”. Then I inspected the bore with a flashlight, and hey it’s pretty damn decent!

I bought 2 M39's to keep the best shooter, a VKT and a Sako. The Sako came in a beautiful arctic birch wartime re-arsenal stock. The VKT came in its original stock that looked like it had been attacked by beavers on crack, then used to beat them to death and never wiped off. Both were good shooters but the VKT held ~1-1/4 MOA so that's what I kept.

Dakar and I are planning on a deep snow shoot. We'll either take his truck or liberate Mrs. Mountain's Rubicon. The Rubicon has heated seats, so... Also probably need to shoot my 50 BMG prone in the snow to see how much the blast will move- for research purposes of course.

Brought the 91/30, Field Grade Special M1, and Makarov to try today. We're supposed to get some weather tomorrow but wanted to get in one last trip for 2018. It's right at freezing as I write this but will creep over by this afternoon.

For the 91/30 going to try some .311 projectiles and see if I get any better accuracy. For the Makarov going to try to Hornady Critical Defense to make sure they feed plus some of my reloads.

Lastly for the Special it'll be it's first time out this year. According to my spreadsheet it's the only firearm I own that hasn't yet been shot in 2018, so I've saved it for the last possible day but this will mean everything saw the range at least once this year. Planning on a full disassembly for it and doing the stock with some tung oil. I had planned on doing it last year but never got around to it.

New Year's Eve scrubbing down an M1, what could be better?

You guys and your spreadsheets...so cute :D

Just how many guns do you own that you need a spreadsheet to keep track I them?
I'd imagine I have fewer than many--probably most--people in the milsurp section. I can name everything I have without needing a spreadsheet. I just like to keep precise figures and dates for stuff. Case in point, I noticed a bit of rust in my SKS gas tube and piston. This was my first summer in a non-climate controlled environment so humidity was never a concern before. It scared the crud out of me when I saw it. I've started going through and detail cleaning/oiling everything I own now as I should have before. My WASR had a little surface rust in the gas tube (common, it's kept dry, and you can fire an AK without a gas tube at all), but thankfully nothing else has had any rust. So, I added a new column to the spreadsheet to track last clean/oil date (previously only tracked round count since cleaning) and now I will make sure to re-oil them even if not shot on a regular schedule.

I, like many others, have probably said this many times, but I don't really plan to get "too many more."
There's some historical rifles--M1 Carbine, '03 Springfield, Arisaka--that I'm interested in, some modern pieces (still no 1911) and then at least two more "fun" items--a threaded 22 rifle and pistol for when my suppressor clears NFA jail. But I'm already feeling like I'm at critical mass.

Remember that I couldn't shoot from Jan-July, so I managed to get everything to the range in about five months (most several times)--I bet there's people on here that have guns they haven't fired in five years.

I just look at the dust on my guns and get a good idea of when they where shot.
Tracking ammo and shots taken
Ammo can is 1/4 full time for more
Accuracy really dropped off on rifle, needs cleaning.
No accuracy , needs barrel
I do have a bit of envy for you OCD neat freaks.
I still have not picked up the box of 30cal bullets I dropped on the floor before thanks giving!
I open the door to the reloading space thinking I’m going to finally finish the redo.....slowly the door creeks closed, eh maybe tomorrow!
New bench will be here soon so I will be forced to clean up. Plus it’s time to get ready for 2019 cmp season

I just look at the dust on my guns and get a good idea of when they where shot.
I do have a bit of envy for you OCD neat freaks.
New bench will be here soon so I will be forced to clean up.
I always scoffed at the "I clean my firearm whether I fire six or six thousand rounds" types. I always saw it as tantamount to changing your car's oil every time you run an errand. I don't plan to clean every range trip (corrosive ammo aside) but I will now make sure to oil stuff in humid weather whether or not I fired it recently.

I may have missed it--what kind of bench? I've been meaning to build a better bench. The one I am using came with the house but it's really bad and rickety. Maybe in the spring.

For the Makarov going to try to Hornady Critical Defense to make sure they feed plus some of my reloads.

Curious what you use for reloading the 9x18? I use 95gr bullets and Titegroup. For the life of me I can't remember what charge I use though. It's written down with the die set but I haven't reloaded 9x18 in months. I'll do a submission with my Makarov too whenever I get the chance.

Curious what you use for reloading the 9x18? I use 95gr bullets and Titegroup. For the life of me I can't remember what charge I use though. It's written down with the die set but I haven't reloaded 9x18 in months. I'll do a submission with my Makarov too whenever I get the chance.
6.8gr of Accurate #7 under 95gr bullet. I've only done like 25 rounds of it, though, still sort of feeling it out. I feel like the COL is too long even though my first 15 test rounds extracted fine, they're very tight in the magazine. For whatever reason, my seating die doesn't want to seat them any further, maybe I need a further belling of the case. I'm new to pistol loading, just started this year; much more comfortable with rifles.

Nothing special about the load, Accurate # 7 was the only suitable powder I had. I grabbed a pound of Win 321 I have yet to try, probably try it with my first ever 38spl loads once the projectiles arrive.

I always scoffed at the "I clean my firearm whether I fire six or six thousand rounds" types. I always saw it as tantamount to changing your car's oil every time you run an errand. I don't plan to clean every range trip (corrosive ammo aside) but I will now make sure to oil stuff in humid weather whether or not I fired it recently.

I may have missed it--what kind of bench? I've been meaning to build a better bench. The one I am using came with the house but it's really bad and rickety. Maybe in the spring.
Its a cheap harbor freight one. My carpenter friend bought a few several years ago and for $100 or so he says they are decent for small spaces. He has them in his work trailer.
He bought a few extras as they where on sale then. Im just waiting for him to drop it off. He says the newer ones are not as good. They changed the hardware and its not as good. So hes giving me one of the old ones.

Maybe the powers-that-be can raise the temperature? Don't worry...NE winters hit for real between the second week of January and the second week of February. Lived though more than 50 years of MA winters.

t

For rust preventative I have been rotating between CrC rust and corrosion inhibitor and KEL . Basically what ever is in stock when I run out. Bio Shield is good too.
https://www.amazon.com/KELLOGGS-PRO...ocphy=9002049&hvtargid=pla-465464523531&psc=1

Also been using those VCI things for years. Armor, Cortec, bullfrog and such.
i have been using Zerust products for a few years now and also try to keep my rifles in VCI gun socks or the bags. Zerust I buy direct from them and they often run deals.
Not to mention i save the vci paper that comes with parts too.
I had a major rust issue about 25 years ago so im a little over protective now.

Been using the bags and tubes in the rifles that dont get used but every few years or so
Rust Prevention Tube and Barrel Strips - Zerust Products

Maybe the powers-that-be can raise the temperature? Don't worry...NE winters hit for real between the second week of January and the second week of February. Lived though more than 50 years of MA winters.

t

Should I rename this as "China Beach Postal Match"? If no snow / not below freezing, you can still participate, BUT you have to shoot wearing only shorts, RayBans, and flip flops.

86e196b7.jpg

Echo_Co_Marines_at_China_Beach-vi.jpg

[devil]

Should I rename this as "China Beach Postal Match"? If no snow / not below freezing, you can still participate, BUT you have to shoot wearing only shorts, RayBans, and flip flops.
[devil]
In.

Conflicted thus far; the heat's made my hour commute more tolerable without snow and the heating bill has been acceptable.

But I can't deny I've been waiting for those 32 degree days to get out there.

It really didn't feel like Christmas (or New Year's) without snow. Spent last Christmas shoveling out after we got dumped on here in NH.

In the winter of ‘93-4, when I was with the Fish and Wildlife Serice in NH, in order to keep me on, I was loaned to the USFWS North Attleboro fish hatchery. I stayed with my grandmother in Mansfield on her fold out couch, and drove home to Laconia on Fridays. EVERY Friday that winter we got 10 inches of snow. Also got bronchitis spending my days in waist deep water just above freezing in chest waders. I found out that an ‘88 Chevy Astro RWD was a horrible winter vehicle. One Friday just North of Concord I spun out in a 720 degree right circle. The ASStro dug the left rear corner into the snow and flipped the van back the right way. The change of direction was so violent, it broke open one of the 60 pound bags of sand in the back- which then became helpful to get me out of the snow bank. Oh, to be 27 again.

t

Finally have some time tomorrow morning and will be heading to the range with a few fun sticks to see how it goes. Supposed to be cold enough so we’ll see.

“I found out that an ‘88 Chevy Astro RWD was a horrible winter vehicle.”

My company used to have one of those. I drove it often enough to learn to hate that piece of shit with a passion.

I don’t mind the wait. It’s giving me time to finish a CETME. Any wager on Franco’s reaction when I use it in Modern Military? It’s .308, so he can’t complain. Right?
im sure he wont say much it was a issued rifle. I can see him saying :those sights suck

I don’t mind the wait. It’s giving me time to finish a CETME. Any wager on Franco’s reaction when I use it in Modern Military? It’s .308, so he can’t complain. Right?

I'll put money on something that rhymes with "Itsapizzashit!". :D Of course that's the reaction for anything that isn't a M1 or M1A...

I picked up 8 SR-1 targets today but could not find any B8’s. I’ll have to go back through this thread and find where OP linked a pdf for a printable version? Is that acceptable for the pistol entries?

I picked up 8 SR-1 targets today but could not find any B8’s. I’ll have to go back through this thread and find where OP linked a pdf for a printable version? Is that acceptable for the pistol entries?

Printable PDF's totally OK. Most of the time that's what I use except not very practical for the SR and bigger :D.

Finally loading those Lapua D166 projectiles. 200 grains out of a Mosin might slap the shoulder a little and I don't particularly want to be sore where my purse strap hangs.

Back
Top Bottom