2016 Hunting Thread

Passed on a fawn today at about 10 yards.

I think it's mama came through later at about 25 yards but it was too dark at that point to make out for sure the size of the animal and if it was a buck or doe. Really could just see it's outline. So - passed on the shot. It walked in the same direction as the fawn so I think it was the doe lagging behind.

https://youtu.be/Ob2F45j_d9o

.308 Is good up to 250 yards with Moose... This one was called in to 20 yards with 168 Gr Barnes VorTex BT in .308 Savage. 51 1/2" spread, live weight est 1200 pounds, Shot @10% angle facing me in left side of chest. Quebec 9/25/2016.
Big%20Bull%20Down_7%20smaller.jpg

.308 Is good up to 250 yards with Moose... This one was called in to 20 yards with 168 Gr Barnes VorTex BT in .308 Savage. 51 1/2" spread, live weight est 1200 pounds, Shot @10% angle facing me in left side of chest. Quebec 9/25/2016.
Big%20Bull%20Down_7%20smaller.jpg

How the hell do you move something like that? 1200#? Damn

Might head out this weekend for the last two days of fall NH Turkey hunting. Fall seems to be a crapshoot for turkey hunting but I can't resist a nice day walking the woods with my gun in the foliage and with the noontime restriction lifted in fall, it might make for a nice afternoon outing.

"How the hell do you move something like that? 1200#? Damn"

With difficulty in quarters... It took 6 hours the next morning to go back in; quarter the Moose, load it onto 3 ATV's, and get it back to camp. I couldn't lift one of the quarters by myself... as I said then I felt old, tired, and Happy!

A labor of love.

With difficulty in quarters... It took 6 hours the next morning to go back in; quarter the Moose, load it onto 3 ATV's, and get it back to camp. I couldn't lift one of the quarters by myself... as I said then I felt old, tired, and Happy!

A labor of love.

lol nice: Teamwork. The head alone must weigh a couple hundred pounds.

A labor of love.

That sounds about right, last year I shot one similar size at about 5:30pm. The trailers were loaded with the moose in tow (whole) at 4am the next day.

Shot over a doe yesterday evening at 30 yards. Bummer.. But if I'm going to miss my mark I'm glad it was a clean miss. Held my 40 yard pin on her at 30. My 20 and 30 yard pins are green but my 40 is red. I just lined up the red as it jumped out at me.

.............thinking of switching to a single pin sight zeroed at 25.

Opening day in my home state soon..........

Shot over a doe yesterday evening at 30 yards. Bummer.. But if I'm going to miss my mark I'm glad it was a clean miss. Held my 40 yard pin on her at 30. My 20 and 30 yard pins are green but my 40 is red. I just lined up the red as it jumped out at me.

I switched to an HHA single pin sight a few years ago. I couldn't stand having multiple pins.

Missing high is certainly a good outcome compared to some of the other options. When I miss I seem to miss high, if I don't have access to my range finder to validate, especially in low light conditions I seem to guess them farther away than they really are. I toyed with the single pin idea but so far my issues aren't selecting the wrong pin :). I did shoot a single pin for the first 5 years years but haven't done that in in close to 25 years now.

Anyone else hunt birds in Pittsburgh, NH last weekend?

We had 10 flushes the first day with 2 shots fired and one bird killed.
Day 2 we flushed one and shot one. Pretty thick cover with labs flushing birds; lucky to see them let alone get a shot.
I think the guys with pointers have a big advantage up there.

Had a great time shooting trap and targets in the gravel pits with the kids.
Tons of moose and bear sign in the woods. Some beautiful country up there.

Had one of those special days this morning. 2+ hours sitting in the fog in a corn field surround by goose decoys with multiple flocks of >10 flying around but not even one trying to land. Then after we had started packing up 3 come in perfectly, locked up the whole way, flared up right in front of the blinds. Only problem was our guns had been unloaded, no one was near their blind, and one guy was halfway across the field on his way to get the truck. My brother and I grab our guns, he got his loaded and got halfway into his blind, I got a shell in the chamber and just crouched next to mine. He whiffed on his first 2 shots but dropped one clean on his third and I missed my first shot, had to do a speed reload and brought one down with my second shot. Then to top it all off I rushed it and managed to miss my first shot at the wounded goose on the ground. It was a rough start to my season to say the least, but hey at least we didn't get shut out!

I had 4 pins but moved the last two all the way down.. Reset my first pin to 25 .. I can hit the size of the vitals from 7-30 yards.. Second pin is good for 24-35 yards but the drop is much more dramatic. It seems like a no brainer to keep it simple. If I just put that first pin right in the center of the vitals.. They will be clean kills

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cannot wait for Monday.

Probably will not make it to my spot till around 3:30 but that will give me a few hours at least. Tuesday I will be out sooner and have some more time.

Back in cell/wifi range. Upton Maine. I went with Norrhern New England Guide Services - my FiL and I liked the onsite meat cutting/wrapping + ARGO to pull the moose out. IMG_1431.jpg

My FiL with the moose.

I'll have to type the story tomorrow when at the PC - but almost no meat loss due to damage = two 150qt coolers stuffed (no ice - just meat) for volume reference, I had another bigger one made from 2" foam board and we split it up with ice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom