• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2016 Hunting Thread

Bring it on!! I likely won't get out until Friday evening and a Saturday AM hunt. Work is crazy busy right now so it's harder to slip out and hunt.

Yeah i probably won't get out till fri either. Just need to wash my camo and i'm ready to go.

I did that yesterday. Bow is all setup, broad heads all nice and sharp and all my gear is set aside just needs to be thrown in a pack.

I bought a new bow two weeks ago (Prime Rize) so I have been shooting a lot getting used to it. I hung a stand 2 weeks ago also. I'll hunt NH some but for me 90% of my bow hunting this year will be closer to home in MA but I can't not hunt with the NH season open!!

I'm going to try to hit RI this weekend. Their season open Thursday. Probably hunt one of the two days. Will feel strange hunting on a Sunday... Looking forward to it. Never thought I would long for the freedom of Rhode Island... But I guess anything is better than this shit hole.... If it wasn't for the GF and her family holding us down... man I would be long gone by now.

Going Deer Hunting for my very first time ever in VT this November. Did my Hunters Safety, got my Permit, purchased a decent 30-06 (T/C Compass). I've always wanted to learn how to hunt, but never could find anyone to teach me. Family is not into it at all ("meat comes from the supermarket" types). Got tired of waiting around, figured I would just jump headfirst into it. I think the likelihood of me getting anything is small, but I am just excited to experience it anyways!

So, anyone got some recommendations for a good optics to put on the 30-06? I was thinking a Vortex Crossfire 2 3-9x50mm with Deadhold BDC reticle. [h=1][/h]

Went out bear hunting in Zone L, had 4 deer under the stand within 30 minutes, No bear.

Going Deer Hunting for my very first time ever in VT this November. Did my Hunters Safety, got my Permit, purchased a decent 30-06 (T/C Compass). I've always wanted to learn how to hunt, but never could find anyone to teach me. Family is not into it at all ("meat comes from the supermarket" types). Got tired of waiting around, figured I would just jump headfirst into it. I think the likelihood of me getting anything is small, but I am just excited to experience it anyways!

So, anyone got some recommendations for a good optics to put on the 30-06? I was thinking a Vortex Crossfire 2 3-9x50mm with Deadhold BDC reticle. [h=1][/h]

Good for you, I would recommend a Nikon Buckmaster, I've had one for 10/11 years and it's still crystal clear.

If you aren't overly familiar with the area, find a game trail and sit on it for awhile. If you're walking and you think you're going slow, you're probably not going slow enough. If you think you're being quiet, you're probably not quiet enough.

One month to upland! I can't wait to give it another go this year.

Shot one pheasant last year, but was hunting over someone else's dog who invited me to tag along. He kept it. Dunno if this is "normal," but the experience was worth it none-the-less.

Last edited:
NHAtHeart: Thank you, really appreciate the advice. It's a family friend's land and they told me I was more than welcome to hunt to my hearts content on. Hopefully they will be able to point me in the direction of any game trails. I know they see deer there all the time.

Ended up going with a Leopold VX-1, found a good deal on it and read really good reviews. I definitely want a few more hunting rifles though, so I'll keep the Buckmaster in mind for the next!

NHAtHeart: Thank you, really appreciate the advice. It's a family friend's land and they told me I was more than welcome to hunt to my hearts content on. Hopefully they will be able to point me in the direction of any game trails. I know they see deer there all the time.

Ended up going with a Leopold VX-1, found a good deal on it and read really good reviews. I definitely want a few more hunting rifles though, so I'll keep the Buckmaster in mind for the next!

You can pretty much never go wrong with Leupold, I usually refrain from suggesting that to new hunters as they can be pretty big $$. I always hate it when I'm trying to get into a sport or other activity and someone tells me to go buy the most expensive thing to get started :).

Good luck, I'm headed out tomorrow for my first day of Bow hunting in about 10 years.

One month to upland! I can't wait to give it another go this year.

Shot one pheasant last year, but was hunting over someone else's dog who invited me to tag along. He kept it. Dunno if this is "normal," but the experience was worth it none-the-less.
You shot it and he kept it? To each his own but dats ****ed up imo. I hunt with a friend with a great bird dog from time to time....and if there are newbs in the group he leaves his gun in the truck and makes it his mission to get the new guys on the birds! And the new guys take the birds home. Hes a great guy.

On anither note squirrel is open zones 1-9 im heading out with the shotgun later this afternoon. Anyone else hitting bushy tails today?!?

So, anyone got some recommendations for a good optics to put on the 30-06? I was thinking a Vortex Crossfire 2 3-9x50mm with Deadhold BDC reticle.
Sounds like you have the right attitude to enjoy hunting. That is good! Ive spent plenty of time in the woods with my son and not been "successful". Meaning I didnt bring home any meat if you gauge "success" that way. But we never came home disappointed! Time in the woods is awesome no matter what. Two years ago went out for squirrel on some public land.....didnt see a darn squirrel all morning.....but happened accross the biggest and thickest patch of wild concord grapes i ever saw! We were like kids at a carnival! Loaded up out vests with what we could and spent the afternoon making jam! You never know what youll find in the woods!!!! You wont find patches of beautiful grapes like that sittig on the couch!

Anyone else on stand this morning? Saw some turkeys but too far for a shot almost took a squirrel that was annoying me but no deer yet.

I was until 7:30 then I had to get to work ;-). Not a big buck but with an empty freezer and plenty of tags he wasn't going to get pass!! He'll eat we'll or sure.

image.jpg

I wish I could have been afield... but because of the antiquated licensing system they have in RI I still don't have my tags. I called on Fri and the gentlemen who answered the phone who was quite exasperated said there was a printing problem with the co they have print the tags and the were late. They're just starting to go out now. He also said this happens every year and had to stop himself mid sentence from telling me how he really felt... But he said plenty by not saying anything... I could hear phones ringing off the hook in the background. He said hopefully I would have them this weekend... Nope... Apparently no one had their tags for opening day.... Can you believe that crap.. Never though I would say Mass was a model of efficiency for anything - but damn. What decade is this... How is that crap not all online yet? The 1980's called and they want their methods and procedures back..

I was until 7:30 then I had to get to work ;-). Not a big buck but with an empty freezer and plenty of tags he wasn't going to get pass!! He'll eat we'll or sure.

View attachment 177400

I don't blame you, I'd have stuck him too! I'll take a solo doe if I have a shot at one.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could have been afield... but because of the antiquated licensing system they have in RI I still don't have my tags. I called on Fri and the gentlemen who answered the phone who was quite exasperated said there was a printing problem with the co they have print the tags and the were late. They're just starting to go out now. He also said this happens every year and had to stop himself mid sentence from telling me how he really felt... But he said plenty by not saying anything... I could hear phones ringing off the hook in the background. He said hopefully I would have them this weekend... Nope... Apparently no one had their tags for opening day.... Can you believe that crap.. Never though I would say Mass was a model of efficiency for anything - but damn. What decade is this... How is that crap not all online yet? The 1980's called and they want their methods and procedures back..

In NH, I went to a hardware store with my bowhunter safety card from 16 years ago and was in and out within 10 minutes.

Hunting season started off well for me and the boy. Went to our favorite wma in zone 9 and harvested two nice grey squirrels with the 20 gauge. Then filled a pack basket with 20-30 pounds of wild concord grapes. Hunters and gatherers today!!!

Whacko, what is your favorite way to prepare the squirrel? I am new to hunting and got a rabbit last year. Have a GREAT farm spot with a lot of rabbits and squirrel in Charlton. If the squirrel are worth it, thought it would be a lot of fun for either my 22 rifle or pistol. Maybe even my bow when it gets ready.

When I deer hunt there, the squirrel are moving all around me. Some just sit 10 feet off staring me down, trying to figure me out. Figure a 50 cal black powder is a bit much for them. But fun to put them in the middle of the scope.

Whacko, what is your favorite way to prepare the squirrel? I am new to hunting and got a rabbit last year. Have a GREAT farm spot with a lot of rabbits and squirrel in Charlton. If the squirrel are worth it, thought it would be a lot of fun for either my 22 rifle or pistol. Maybe even my bow when it gets ready.

When I deer hunt there, the squirrel are moving all around me. Some just sit 10 feet off staring me down, trying to figure me out. Figure a 50 cal black powder is a bit much for them. But fun to put them in the middle of the scope.
Google a recipe for "squirrel gravy" and "squirrel pie". Both are fantastic ways to enjoy squirrel. We had an exciting hunt yesterday......we had a barred owel stalking the same squirrel qe were! My son was moving in on a grey when a the owl flew in....sa us and turned up and landed in a tree! This was 20 minutes before sunset. Never know what you will see in the woods. Good luck with the hunting.

Last edited:
When it starts to get dark, the owls are amazing. Tons of them hooting all over the place. I saw one in the morning after hunting. Maybe I'll go for some squirrel early Saturday. Didn't realize it starts before rabbit.

When it starts to get dark, the owls are amazing. Tons of them hooting all over the place. I saw one in the morning after hunting. Maybe I'll go for some squirrel early Saturday. Didn't realize it starts before rabbit.
Yes its earlier than rabbit but only in zones 1-9.

Hunting season started off well for me and the boy. Went to our favorite wma in zone 9 and harvested two nice grey squirrels with the 20 gauge. Then filled a pack basket with 20-30 pounds of wild concord grapes. Hunters and gatherers today!!!

So are you the one who scared all the squirrels up into the trees in Westborough on me?

If it was Westboro I heard you shooting...[smile]

So are you the one who scared all the squirrels up into the trees in Westborough on me?
Nope I was in Townsend! Zone 9 is a good place to get the kids out hunting early in the season. Squirrels were abundant sat afternoon! Got two but 3 others gave us the slip! Couldnt get close enough for a clean shot with the shotgun! Plenty of action!

did you get any?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom