2016 Hunting Thread

Two pooped pups yesterday, during our first day out for pheasant. First bird, the pointer locked up and the cocker flushed the rooster. As they should. Bird stayed low in the trees though, so I didn't take the shot. We moved to a field beyond the woods where the rooster made its escape, and I cast the dogs out wide. The cocker, with her nose close to the ground, in grass taller than her, put up the bird. It was a longish ways off for my 20ga with IC, but I took the shot, and winged it. :( That little 24lb cocker absolutely POUNCED on that cripple, and the pointer came over to help pin it. The dogs proceeded to put up a few hens, which I took one shot and missed -- took too much time "aiming" and shot too high as it flew off low. They almost trapped another hen, as it got caught up in a thick tangle. That bird flew too low, and I let it be. A warm day out there, and nobody out there but us. And a great day, being that it followed the opener, with no restocking since.

View attachment 179967

View attachment 179968

Last edited:
Had some fun this morning. Damp but productive.
Scout chased up 2 hens and 1 woodcock. 3 shots fired and 2 hens recovered.
Nice way to start the day...

(Cant rotate the pic!)

Attachments

• IMG_4825.jpg
    IMG_4825.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 58
Went out this morning and weather sure did not match the reports. I had left my track chair on the trailer last night and it was soaked this morning. Was in the woods by 5 and did not see anything and headed home around 10.

I did find out the boot covers I bought are nice and waterproof so my broken leg stayed nice and dry, cannot say much for the rest of me though.

How hard is it to train a bird dog?

I've played around at it but fortunately all the dogs I've had have been self-starters.
My yellow lab wont retrieve but stays close to flush and then stands over a downed bird.
Lots of books and videos on dog training...

So the question is, anyone willing to part with some wings from a recent hunt so I can start to train? Preferably in the MetroWest area?

So the question is, anyone willing to part with some wings from a recent hunt so I can start to train? Preferably in the MetroWest area?

If I had known I would have saved some for you.
Was thinking about that as I know RDG is bringing his pup home soon but I had to hurry off to work.
Hopefully I will have another pair soon and will clean them up and shoot you a PM....

You guys are making me jealous now. Heading up to NH tommorrow to pick up our 8 week old Chocalate Lab... Hopefully he'll be ready by next year.

He's Coming ftom the same breeder/trainer as CCM75 Yellow, although different family lines. Hopefully he'll be as easy to train as his was.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon. If we get any, and the guy I'm hunting with doesn't need em, I'll freeze them and get em to you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If I had known I would have saved some for you.
Was thinking about that as I know RDG is bringing his pup home soon but I had to hurry off to work.
Hopefully I will have another pair soon and will clean them up and shoot you a PM....

Training the dog is a recent development as is the training suggestion. (thanks)

I have no idea how she will handle it but figure its worth a try since hunting pheasant without a dog was an exercise in frustration.

I have two dogs in the household, both owned by my wife before I met her, (june of '13). Neither of them have ever hunted, but the 3.5 year old lab mix, Lilly, has a shitload of energy and will behave when she sees treats in my hand. I am really considering trying to train her for upland game. For duck hunting I won't even bother because I have a kayak and a small motor boat I use for that. I still have the wings from the pheasant I shot this past saturday so I think I need to start with Lilly this weekend.

Went out for the first time this morning. Passed on a few doe. I did manage to catch what felt like 500 mosquito bites on my head. No one told the mosquitos that they are not supposed to be able to smell me while I am wearing my ScentLok balaclava.[smile]

Went out this morning for 2 hours looking for squirrel. Warm out so wen with jeans ans t shirt....not my usual permethrin coated field gear too hot for that. 8 ****ing tics on me when i got to the truck. Summabitch.

Went out this morning for 2 hours looking for squirrel. Warm out so wen with jeans ans t shirt....not my usual permethrin coated field gear too hot for that. 8 ****ing tics on me when i got to the truck. Summabitch.

You know what is strange, I have been out hunting 6 times in NH and 3 in MA so far this year and have been running cams all summer. I have not (knock on wood) seen a single tick since June. Not even crawling on my pant legs. I am hunting the same places as past years for the most part and always dealt with the little bastards. Odd.

You know what is strange, I have been out hunting 6 times in NH and 3 in MA so far this year and have been running cams all summer. I have not (knock on wood) seen a single tick since June. Not even crawling on my pant legs. I am hunting the same places as past years for the most part and always dealt with the little bastards. Odd.
Never had em on me when wearing permethrine on my gear. Fortunatey I found em all before they bit me.

How hard is it to train a bird dog?

Not hard, but you have to put in the time. You need to start with the basics, sit, heal, etc. Then move forward. Electronics are very helpful. Any time I take my dog anywhere "fun", like the hiking, hunting, etc. I put the collar on her, whether I turn it on and use it or not. She associates the collar with fun. All I have to do is show her the collar and she comes right to me, happy to have it put on. Bumpers are good to, get them retrieving and bringing it back is very important. Nothing more irritating than having a dog fetch a bird for you and then won't give it up.

You want a upland game dog to hunt close, if she's a runner you will need collar training. My lab, RIP, would be out in front of me and always kept me in sight, she'd turn to look at me all the time. Brittany's and German short-hairs are more wired and in my experiences might need "the collar";)

You want a upland game dog to hunt close, if she's a runner you will need collar training. My lab, RIP, would be out in front of me and always kept me in sight, she'd turn to look at me all the time. Brittany's and German short-hairs are more wired and in my experiences might need "the collar";)

The breed is very "attached"; they are called velcro dogs because everything revolves around their owner. They are also herding/working dogs so keeping me in sight is part of her DNA.

I am more concerned about safe retrieval.

Maybe I should put this in its own thread, I didn't mean to jack the general hunting thread.

And at long last, success! First pheasant I've harvested, cleaned and cooked. Went out with a friend and his dog, Jesse. Put it up about 20 mins into the hunt. He's in the oven cooking with bacon, thyme, rosemary and olive oil.

e6ada217d31adcccc80dbf47eaadecfe.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hit two local WMA's today with my dog Max. His first day in the field. He did well, hunted hard, listened well and I did not lose him. I will call that a success! Now I just need to hit the timing right to get some birds under his nose. I think he is going to be good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom