• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2015 Hunting Megathread

Betting its not gonna be any better tomorrow. All the meatheads that had to work Mon will be out. Debating on if I am even gonna go out.

- - - Updated - - -

Betting its not gonna be any better tomorrow. All the meatheads that had to work Mon will be out. Debating on if I am even gonna go out.

Hmmm...spent Monday thru Friday...dark-to-dark in a stand...I have yet to see ONE deer! [frown]

...same spot last year, I shot 2 bucks in the first 30 minutes of opening day! [smile]

- - - Updated - - -

That's the best time to hunt, take A stand on a nice choke point let the pumpkins push them right to you.

That's the best time to hunt, take A stand on a nice choke point let the pumpkins push them right to you.

Easier said then done. Don't think 10 different pumpkins didn't have the exact same idea and will wind up in your exact same spot.

I'm calling the hunt off for tomorrow. I've got a few more days off left to take and I'll take them end of the following week. Or maybe I'll just wait until shotgun is over. If my timing is on the 2nd rut phase will be the first week of muzzle loader this year. I can be back out with my bow in the once again quiet woods.

Oh I know it's good in that sense. It's just the idiots that unload 5 rounds at a deer whether or not they can hit it or even if it's still running. When I was 14 or 15 I was hunting with my dad coming through some hemlocks, we bumped a nice buck but I noticed a guy on a hill above us and didn't shoot because the deer was between us. Well he unloaded a gun full of buckshot at the deer and we were on the other side of it. To this day I can remember hearing the balls of buckshot hitting the ground around us while trying to dive for cover. I don't know how we didn't get hit... Hunting around a bunch of people I don't know makes me uneasy. Not a big con of buckshot as a "well it gives me a better chance" sense. I know it has its place and I carry a couple in my pocket but people need to know how to use it.

That kind of recklessness is what will keep me home tomorrow. That and it's going to be warm. So lots of gun hunters + warm weather is a double whammy against success. I thought for sure I was going to fill a tag today. I had been saving the hunt for shotgun and the right wind, etc. I sneaked into a bedding area I know holds deer. Got set up - all nice and quiet. Took me 45 minutes to hang my sticks and stand I was moving so slow. I'm finally up in the tree a half hour before sunset. Right at sunset a pumpkin comes trampling through, whistling to his pumpkin buddies, and generally crashing through the woods like a bulldozer... The whole time I'm thinking to myself I bet these dip shits go home and wonder why they never see deer. Not only did they ruin my hunt - they completely thrashed the bedding area. That area will be devoid of deer for weeks now.

I was about a mile back in the swamp. WTF do I have to do to get away form these guys.

Last edited:
He should go ask land owners to post their land and give him exclusive access, I hear that's how the cool kids role.
You know I was going to avoid getting into the specifics but I'm bored at work and have the time... YOU ARE whats wrong with this forum. You twist and contort truths to slander others and make yourself look better. Not once, did I "ask land owners" to post their property for me to exclusively hunt as my own game preserve. If you recall they told me they were planning on posting it this year or next spring and I said I would do the work if they were going in that direction. I'm sure the people who stole the scrape metal and random people shooting behind their house was more of an influence than myself and the other 2 guys who have been going there for a few years helping them manage their wood lots, maintain their stone walls. You might find not sounding and looking like a child a better use of your time than trying to make me look selfish

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Saw nothing yesterday or this morning heading out to a different place shortly maybe have some better luck.

Last day NH buck.
8e9d95acd4598cd8400584160752d0ed.jpg

Got out for the last couple of hours, and found some sign:

View attachment 153086

There're a good amount of these clawings in an area, and found some scat. Tried some deer distress calls, but the woods remained still. I've got one more chance to get out for a couple of hours, but finding a bait bucket nearby kinda sapped my confidence.

This was a more remote area I haven't been to this season, but had to explore because my local spot has been dry of sign. I found a bunch of fresh looking scrapes, and some rubs. And, I finally found fresh deer droppings. And one swamp which is normally at least knee deep, has been reduced to a puddle. But now it looks like one of those watering holes in the Serengeti -- there are tracks ALL OVER the area, and many well worn runs leading from it. I'll have to setup a cam near it, just to check out the critters frequenting it.

I took all last week off and hunted every day except Thursday. I haven't gone out once this week due to work being so busy. Plan is to meet up with a group tomorrow, star in the pumpkin patch parade, and push the hell out of the last of shotgun 2015.

I am looking forward to primitive though. Not nearly as many others out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom