2015 Hunting Megathread

my first day (morning) ever hunting...been prepping/scouting for months...researching/purchasing equipment...setting up my 3 tree stands...making sure the odds are in my favor.

BOY am I pumped! I went out with my buddy this morning and he called in a doe from his stand about 200' from where my stand was. It was just a tad out of my range due to lack of visibility so i passed up on taking the shot (it was about 50-60 yards in thick brush and Oscar Mike to boot, so I figure on waiting for a sure shot as opposed to rolling the dice on an antlerless).

what a friggen rush though...my heart was beating so hard I could hear it!

this could get very addicting.

too bad the Marine Corps is sending me to the field in the Poconos on Thursday until Sunday, so it looks like i'm going to miss the last few days of this week...but i'll be out there before work until Wednesday.

i can see why people get into this as much as they do though. i can't wait until tomorrow!

Last edited:
I saw a deer today. it was close to 100 yards in front of me down a hill and kept bedding down and getting up for close to 30 minutes. Never gave me a shot though because there was a couple trees in the way that it was staying perfectly behind. I didn't want to risk taking a keyhole shot between the trees because the space was only about 6 inches apart and the deer was another 50 yards beyond that. It eventually just walked off and after a half hour or so I went to where I last saw it thinking it bedded down again and I could bump it, but that didn't happen. instead I found a fresh coyote killed deer when I was circling back to the main trail. judging by the different piles of fur around the area, it must have been a pack of 5-8.
I'm debating weather or not I should bring the muzzle loader (scoped) out tomorrow instead of the iron sight slug gun. Probably could have taken a shot today if I had the scope.

Last edited:
Dumbest looking deer I have ever seen. Don't know why it coming up sideways it looks right till I hit post. 140 pounds 4 points left. Has most of the broken off. Biologists at Bob's says 3.5 years old.

image.jpg

Well the pumpkin patrol out in full force today (myself included). I just REALLY wish when people see you they take another path instead of coming over to talk or walking right by you. How dang hard is to find a little different route? But who knows, maybe it is just me who does not like that.

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason it works here.

View attachment 152257

Very nice.

The guy said he was 3.5? Interesting.

Ya I am no expert either. There was 2 guys looking at them, they cut the gums and inspected the teeth and that's the conclusion they came to... They seemed to know more than me about it so I took their work for it. His body/ hide were in good shape but his antlers were busted to hell. I don't know if he got hit by a car this spring or what but he is messed up. No signs of broken bones so I am doubtful it was a car but he's definitely the dumbest looking thing I have ever seen.

Will get get some better pics tomorrow. He's had a tough day, don't want to bother him.

Well the pumpkin patrol out in full force today (myself included). I just REALLY wish when people see you they take another path instead of coming over to talk or walking right by you. How dang hard is to find a little different route? But who knows, maybe it is just me who does not like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice.

The guy said he was 3.5? Interesting.

I had some guy trample close to through my area today too - not wearing orange... He was about 90 to 100 yards off. I saw brown moving and got out the binocs. Dumb ass should be wearing orange. There are far too many people out there who would have been viewing what they could have easily initially mistaken for a deer through the scopes on top their rifled shotguns.

Last edited:

That S drives me nuts. No I do not want to talk to you or know who you are, what you have seen, or what you had for dinner last night. Leave me the hell alone.

It wasn't yet in the pic. I carried it out of the woods in the bucket of my tractor and in the process the other side got covered in a combination of mud and horse crap that was stuck in the bucket. So I washed it off some first. Wanted to use the guts for coyote bait but not under my stand.

140 pounds dressed.

Hit up a new spot this AM. Went in blind based on aerials. Sneaked in, got set up and was pretty happy. Then about a half hour before shooting hours I see another flash light. I try to wave the guy off but he sets up 50 yards to the north of me. (Don't know if he saw me or not. Don't know how he couldn't have).

When I'm getting down at about 9:00ish he comes over and chats a bit. Normally I would be a bit put off by that but not this time. I have no intentions of going back to this spot. After sun up I saw another 2 tree stands both within 100 yards of where I was. So I'm all set with that...

going in blind can be hit or miss. This was a miss for sure.

Hit up a new spot this AM. Went in blind based on aerials. Sneaked in, got set up and was pretty happy. Then about a half hour before shooting hours I see another flash light. I try to wave the guy off but he sets up 50 yards to the north of me. (Don't know if he saw me or not. Don't know how he couldn't have).

When I'm getting down at about 9:00ish he comes over and chats a bit. Normally I would be a bit put off by that but not this time. I have no intentions of going back to this spot. After sun up I saw another 2 tree stands both within 100 yards of where I was. So I'm all set with that...

going in blind can be hit or miss. This was a miss for sure.
I feel you - I had to hunt a new area this year in Maine after decades in the same place. I did all my scouting for a couple of months and never saw sign of another person being around, but halfway through the season we started running into hunters at every turn. Nobody's fault really, just hard to find a spot where nobody is around, even in Maine.

Took a 128 pound for this morning

9b43680b2a1a516c014a15bb82941bf9.jpg
89c8731fa5ea4842764f07e6302e59f0.jpg

I had some guy trample close to through my area today too - not wearing orange... He was about 90 to 100 yards off. I saw brown moving and got out the binocs. Dumb ass should be wearing orange. There are far too many people out there who would have been viewing what they could have easily initially mistaken for a deer through the scopes on top their rifled shotguns.

One walked right up to me and started talking the other three walked 10 feet behind me.

Found out today the property I have permission to hunt was overran with pumpkins yesterday.

Nice deer. I don't know about you guys but in my area there has been just as many hunters out but I haven't heard the banging away that I usually hear the first 2 days of shotgun. Behind my house is a decent size chunk of woofs and I am less than a mile from the Douglas State forest so can usually hear the war from my house but not this year. Heard a few shots but it's been pretty quiet.

Come to think of it I haven't been hearing the usual number of shots either. Seeing lots of hunters also. I plan on changing pieces of land. No way they're going to be on their feet with the pressure the land I'm on now is getting.

Back
Top Bottom