2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

anyone have any luck today? went out this morning and scared the living shit out of a fisher cat that couldn't see my magic flecktarn, but aside from that the only thing in abundance today was some cold temperatures.

that underarmour coldgear stuff is serious shit, feet and fingers got a bit chilly but with proper layers this time out my core was still relatively warm even in the cold today.

anyone have any luck today? went out this morning and scared the living shit out of a fisher cat that couldn't see my magic flecktarn, but aside from that the only thing in abundance today was some cold temperatures.

that underarmour coldgear stuff is serious shit, feet and fingers got a bit chilly but with proper layers this time out my core was still relatively warm even in the cold today.
You're in NH too now? Enjoying your many natural rights... Keep it free until I can escape. [laugh]

Sunday hunting, what is this, 47 out of 50 states or something. [rolleyes]

I went out Saturday. In the late AM I dozed off in the stand for about 5 minutes. When I opened my eyes I saw the ass end of a 6 pointer heading away that had walked the deer trail 20 yards from my stand. By the time I got the gun up he was too far into the scrub for me to get a shot. Damn my cat nap... That was the only deer I saw all day. About an hour later the woods sounded like the 4th of July and I didn't see shit.

Then at the end of shooting hours some dopes decided they wanted to start a deer drive with whistles and flashlights right through where I was setup...... Not feeling safe to leave the woods I hung out in the tree until they cleared the area. Then after I got down they started working their way back... I lit up my headlamp on the brightest setting and b-lined it out of the woods.

I get out of the woods to find a town cop waiting at my truck.. After he inquired why I was so late coming out of the woods after dark I was happy to tell him and pointed him in the direction of the folks who were still out there. He indicated he knew where their trucks were and was off. Damned if I'm getting in trouble with the law on account of them... Someone could really get hurt because of that shit too.

Been chasing this guy for a few years and should of popped him 3 weeks ago but I screwed up. His turn to screw up happened Friday morning...

Nice deer, but I have some good news for you. That deer is only 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old at most. So if you have been chasing one similar for a few years you still have another good one around to chase! Go get em!

I just got home from a pretty frustrating day. I was out since shooting time and had walked all around the woods looking for tracks in the fresh snow. I didnt find anything for the first couple hours and decided that I was going to leave and try a different state forest when I crossed a set of tracks. I follow these tracks for about 100 yards and all of a sudden they disappear. The snow is starting to turn to rain at this point so I head out to the main road and am about to call it quits when I see the set of tracks again crossing the road I came in on so I know the deer were there within the last hour and a half. I kept following those tracks and even found a spot where the two deer bedded down for a bit. The snow was melted and the ground was a little warm so they were just there. Its pretty much poring now however, and I'm making too much noise trying to catch up these guys so at that point if accepted they would be 5 steps ahead of me and decided to not catch pneumonia.

I pretty much ran into the same thing this morning. Saw plenty of tracks (although none of the deer appeared to be very big,) saw coyote tracks, bobcat tracks (that was a first,) and hell, even saw a fisher trottin around on a frozen marsh. Heard 5 shots before 8 am, but made visual on nothing. Pretty much sums up all 4 days I've been out. I've got Wednesday and Thursday to hopefully pull off a miracle. lol

I just got home from a pretty frustrating day. I was out since shooting time and had walked all around the woods looking for tracks in the fresh snow. I didnt find anything for the first couple hours and decided that I was going to leave and try a different state forest when I crossed a set of tracks. I follow these tracks for about 100 yards and all of a sudden they disappear. The snow is starting to turn to rain at this point so I head out to the main road and am about to call it quits when I see the set of tracks again crossing the road I came in on so I know the deer were there within the last hour and a half. I kept following those tracks and even found a spot where the two deer bedded down for a bit. The snow was melted and the ground was a little warm so they were just there. Its pretty much poring now however, and I'm making too much noise trying to catch up these guys so at that point if accepted they would be 5 steps ahead of me and decided to not catch pneumonia.

Sounds like you were pretty close to them! When still hunting and tracking deer like that, you need to move at a snails pace, like 2 steps every 20-30 seconds and look around. With every step in the woods, you get a new perspective and view, try it, you'll see what I mean. It takes a lot of patience to still hunt, you can easily find yourself moving too fast. You'll be surprised to know that deer are usually only 50 yards or so ahead of you or circling around you. It helps to know the area you are hunting, and obviously hunting into the wind. When I still hunt, it may take me 30 minutes to cover 50 yards, and when I get impatient, that's always when I bust a deer I didn't know was 30 yards ahead watching me. Keep at it, you will be a better hunter if you can master the Still Hunt.

Well, FINALLY it happened. After all of the mishaps I have had and posted about on here, my firearms season ended with the shortest hunt in human history. After at least 100 hrs in the woods and field in two states and probably 35 separate hunts, I found myself with about 25 minutes of legal light after decorating the Christmas tree yesterday on the last day of NH firearms season. So I figured I would go downstairs, grab the gun, put on the hunting jacket and hood and make my way to my blind 80 yds from my house. Not enough time left for scent control, warm layers, sprays or deer lure. My blue jeans, jacket and stinky balsam fir odor from the Christmas tree would have to do.

As I closed the basement door, I turned and looked and there.. about 75 yds away on the other side of my field was the deceptive, large, disruptive big doe that has been the bane of my hunting existence this year chomping on the uncut edge where the woods meet the tall brown remnants of goldenrod. She stopped grazing and gazed up at me as I froze in full stride under the shade of my porch. She waited, confirmed no more movement and by the grace of God, the wind was coming at me from her... This was too good to be true.

But it wasn't... I waited about 3 seconds for her to turn and she did, heading right for my blind I was supposed to be in and gave me a broadside look at the boiler room. I leaned up against the porch post, lined her up and let it fly. She went 5 yds and dropped like a stone. The whole hunt lasted 15 seconds from shutting the door to firing the shot. Now I'm not advocating hunting from your porch, but I think I deserved this one.

The only person happier than me was my wife who has put up with my hunting "hobby" to the point of delirium.
...Then I told her I would be heading out next weekend for the last of bow season. I still have two tags left to fill!

I thought the season for hunting does with a firearm in NH ended on 11/22 in Zones L and M. earlier in the other zones. have you been to a check station? lmk if they think you deserve it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
My leftover Unit M permit states "This permit can be used during any deer season for which you are properly licensed." It also specifically states that you can use it through 12/8.

If he was in Unit M and has an antlerless permit, he's good to go!

Last edited:
4Point_zpscf573ca1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got my second deer of the season this past Thursday. Walked a couple miles in on some power lines, which took longer than expected when trying to keep sweating to a minimum. Not two minutes after the alarm on my phone went off (vibrate) I stepped into a clearing in the tall brush that lined the trail and spooked a couple deer. I only saw tails and I don't think I spooked them too badly because I could hear that they slowed up after taking a few leaps beyond the tree line. I made an educated guess about what direction they would head, and moved as quietly and quickly as possible back uphill the way I'd come in. Took a short trail to the edge of the woods, walked in about 50 feet, and waited. Heard them slowly walking in shortly thereafter. First one peeked its head out, walked in really slowly, and kept looking in my direction. I saw that it had antlers, so I was pretty excited because I was hoping to get a buck this season (who isn't!). Waited what felt like forever (probably only 5 minutes?) to see if a second deer was going to walk in behind, but I got nervous and didn't want to miss my chance, so I took the shot and dropped him at about 60 yards. I was really excited and immediately pulled out my phone to text my dad and girlfriend.

Then I finally heard the second deer starting to walk in. Of course, as soon as it steps out of the cover I see that he's a good sized 8 point! Talk about going from high to low! I sat there silently cursing myself and thinking bad thoughts as I watched him walk on by like nothing happened and not look up in my direction even once. That passed after I spent some good boding time with my buck over the 5 hours it took for me to drag him back to the car and after recognizing that, obviously, there are plenty of more deer left in the woods for next year.

The next day I called and left a message for my cousin, who lives down the road and has never hunted, telling him to send his two boys (14 and 12) over to watch me process my deer. I offered to take them out on the youth weekend next year, if they end up being interested, and figured it would be good for them to see. They weren't home, so instead, my cousin's wife drops off two of her girls (7 and 10) while she heads off to a doctor's appointment. They spent 5 hours watching me and loved it! They both held the heart and got pictures with bloody hands to show off to their friends, and the little one asked me probably a dozen times to cut off the head because she wanted to see it. They also asked if they could go hunting with me some time, so I told them if they were still interested when they're a little bigger I'd gladly take them.

I've really enjoyed following this thread, hearing everyone's stories, and seeing pictures from those who have been lucky enough to get a deer, and I'd just like to say that I hope everyone here has as successful a season as I consider mine to have been. Thanks, and good luck!

GirlsampBuck_zpsf4daef5b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My leftover Unit M permit states "This permit can be used during any deer season for which you are properly licensed." It also specifically states that you can use it through 12/8.

Glad to hear. Congratss on the deer; that filter on the kids faces just makes them look super creapy.

Thanks for the info. I had been hunting area K. Interesting that the permit does not go to the end of archery 12/15.

Something tells me he didn't have a permit.

Eh... He lost me when he said Lyme is incurable. That's just not accurate. That doesn't mean don't take it seriously - but antibiotics can and do rid the body of the disease. The trick is catching it before permanent neurological damage is done.

But the best defense is a good offense on this front. So wear Permethrin at all times when out in the woods.. Become a tick killing weapon of mass destruction. [h=1][/h]

Last edited:
The permit does go through the end of archery season, as long as you are hunting with a bow. I stated that the Unit M permit was good through 12/8 because I had assumed we were talking about a deer taken with a firearm. The regular archery permit is either sex for the entire archery season, so that should never have been the issue.

Relevant NHF&G link: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Unit_M_permits.htm

Anyways, hope things work out ok for him.

Went out today. Got a later start than I intended because I had to kick my own ass out the door. Only deer I saw was one crossing the road on my way to my spot. I got settled in overlooking a little hollow were a buddy of mine got one a few years back. I was there about 30 mins before the flakes started to fly. There was nothing moving at all. I wasn't expecting much anyway as I had not done any scouting or anything. I sat there and watched the snow start to cover the tree branches. Very peaceful, I did not get to go out last year due to a cardiac issue. I felt pretty good after humping my stuff in and I even fit back into my insulated overalls. So all in all a satisfying morning, that is basically church for me.

Back
Top Bottom