2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

I shot this guy opening weekend. I was out Wednesday through Friday. I heard him Friday morning behind me scraping and grunting a little bit. I grunted back at him and he grunted again. I grunted once more and didn't hear anything else. I took Saturday off. Sunday morning I went back out and was in the tree before dawn. I heard him behind me again, scraping and then he let out a long grunt, 5-6 seconds. I grunted back at him and he responded louder and more aggressive. I grunted back and he replied with a loud snort weeze, he was angry.

He came out of the woods to my right about 50 yards away and never stopped moving until he was behind cover. Kept his nose on the ground the whole time, sniffing for the two does that had been in that area and me. Finally at the 11 o'clock position he turned broadside and gave me a shot. He ran about 40 yards and laid down to die. Only 4 points on him, but he dressed out at 156 lbs. Long body and long legs on him. Got my freezer stocked and meat for the winter.

Last edited:
Eh... He lost me when he said Lyme is incurable. That's just not accurate. That doesn't mean don't take it seriously - but antibiotics can and do rid the body of the disease. The trick is catching it before permanent neurological damage is done.

But the best defense is a good offense on this front. So wear Permethrin at all times when out in the woods.. Become a tick killing weapon of mass destruction.

100% on Permethrin. I started using it this year and after all the time I spent in the woods I did not even see a tick.

This morning might have been the peak of aggravation. Woke up more than an hour late. Rushed to get my gear on and headed out the door way later than I intended. Pulled into trailhead with about 10 minutes until legal light (I was hoping to be in my blind about 45 min before light.) Started walking in, got about 250 yards down the trail and spooked a big deer. No idea what it was as all I saw was a big white ass with a tail in the air running over a ridge. Already I'm cursing myself. Finally break off from the trail and start slowly and as quietly as possible making way toward my blind. Get about halfway there and I hear something scurry off; wasn't moving too fast and wasn't making all that much noise, so I quietly slip into my blind as I had no idea what it was. Sit for a few hours scanning the area. Every damn lump of snow that falls off a tree sounds like the biggest deer I've ever seen. Finally I get up and decide to check out what had trotted away from me earlier. Walk about 15 yards away from my blind and there was a big circle of melted snow under a tree/bush. Little bugger was bedded down right next to my damn blind and I must have spooked him on my way in. What a bunch of crap. Can't wait to do it all over again tonight.

This morning might have been the peak of aggravation. Woke up more than an hour late. Rushed to get my gear on and headed out the door way later than I intended. Pulled into trailhead with about 10 minutes until legal light (I was hoping to be in my blind about 45 min before light.) Started walking in, got about 250 yards down the trail and spooked a big deer. No idea what it was as all I saw was a big white ass with a tail in the air running over a ridge. Already I'm cursing myself. Finally break off from the trail and start slowly and as quietly as possible making way toward my blind. Get about halfway there and I hear something scurry off; wasn't moving too fast and wasn't making all that much noise, so I quietly slip into my blind as I had no idea what it was. Sit for a few hours scanning the area. Every damn lump of snow that falls off a tree sounds like the biggest deer I've ever seen. Finally I get up and decide to check out what had trotted away from me earlier. Walk about 15 yards away from my blind and there was a big circle of melted snow under a tree/bush. Little bugger was bedded down right next to my damn blind and I must have spooked him on my way in. What a bunch of crap. Can't wait to do it all over again tonight.

You should have stayed still until legal light (since it was only a few minutes away) and tracked its prints in the snow. It most likely wasnt too far from where you jumped it.

Next Time!!!

You should have stayed still until legal light (since it was only a few minutes away) and tracked its prints in the snow. It most likely wasnt too far from where you jumped it.

Next Time!!!

Yeah, you're right. Tonight and tomorrow are my last chances... hopefully I can make it count. The deer were definitely moving last night/this morning. Tracks all over the place... there were even tracks that crossed over my tracks from hiking in, so they had crossed the trail after I had already gone by. They're all around me, damnit! haha.

My cousin went down to OK a few weeks ago.
This was within the first 2 hours of rifle season opening.

OKdeer2013.jpg

Well my hunting is done for the year, just to cold and I cannot maneuver around with the snow.

Glad I got the doe in Indiana since I did not get anything here or NH.

Well my hunting is done for the year, just to cold and I cannot maneuver around with the snow.

Glad I got the doe in Indiana since I did not get anything here or NH.

New England is tough, I will be bugging you soon to help me out with something if you don't mind

Spent the day today walking in the snow on the mountain property. Found some nice rubs, one set of big tracks I spend a couple hours following till they got too close to houses. Love being in the woods with the snow!

FACF4770-A59E-4FEC-9051-15226927CDB4-4645-000008F50756FF83_zps5ef73977.jpg

DFA5BE22-CFC2-428B-998F-8979AE50C649-4645-000008F51B0EDC43_zps4dd4d834.jpg

DA497893-8D9F-46B7-B358-D355D35D1677-4645-000008F530228624_zpsc5b664fa.jpg

Niiiiice. What's the eye relief on that scope?

Its actually my shotgun the eye relief is zilch..... if that's a mesurment but any further forward I get interference. It needs higher rings.. the barrel its mounted to goes on only for shotgun deer season and its claimed more then a few.... I just haven't bothered to fix it every year I say I'm gonna put new rings on it and every year I mount it shoot it and its dead nuts on and I say to myself well its all set and sabots are 4 bucks each do I want to sight it in again?.... Then I put it back in the case... Worked for Rick as well!

Back
Top Bottom