• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

you now have every right to call me a pussy and for me to accept that with zero resistance. you were out all day in that weather... hardcore.

Just wanted to come back to this for a sec ... the guy I went hunting with in Pittsburg NH went to northern Quebec to hunt Caribou last week with a couple of other guys. They all tagged out but it was f'n COLD.

On the last day they got up to pack the truck for the trip home and it was -24 degrees.

It made our trip to Pittsburg look like a weekend in Florida.

Headed north Thursday evening to Saint Albans Maine for a few days to visit with friends and hunt the last two days of their muzzleloader season. Definitely a much different experience for me when compared to hunting in southern NH. Not as thick and more elevation changes. The temperatures dictated we move and not sit too long. Saturday morning the temps without windchill were 8 below, with wind it was between 15 and 22 below. The deer track seemed to be more prolific and definitely larger than what I've been seeing down here too.

Overall I had a great time sans a deer to bring home. Learned a lot this year and am hoping to apply it to a more successful 2014 hunt.

Fitz

I'm doing my best to be able to post a success pic on this thread and sat again yesterday just as the snow started. The cold was fine but as said the ground was noisy. Saw does on the drive there. I'm going to stick to two maybe three spots for the remainder of the season, two being WMAs in north central ma. We shall see. Got a few vaca days to burn and shopping was done long ago.

Just as an anecdote, I tried powerbelts last week. My gun no-likely. I figured geez they can'be that bad, maybe the scope just gave up, so I shot another tried and true sabot. Dead nuts. $25 lesson learned.

I'm going out early. I figure I'm going to make a lot of noise on the crunchy snow going in.

I plan on going out all day...morning on one property afternoon on another...The crunchy snow worked to my advantage last thursday when I had 5 does and two bucks come in...I could hear them coming from 100+ yards aways easy I had shots at two of the does..no doe tag...one of the bucks, a decent 7 pointer was grunting and chased a doe for a brief minute or two and then went back to browsing never came close enough for a shot...the deer were around me in every direction it was awesome!!

All I got for the last day of shotgun was a stick in the right eye (my dominant eye) causing watering and blurriness for the rest of the day, and some nice thorn scars on my left hip from crawling through the thick shit. We saw 6 doe but none of us have a tag left.

Even if Primitive is fruitless for me and/or the hunting buddies, we all split one nice doe's worth of meat from first day shotgun and we're saving a big roast for when we (5) can all get together around New Years to cook it and get liquored up.

I was going to try, but the baby had a restless evening. Will try my luck on the Rock later in the week. Thanks Carlos for the Vineyard lease. Cheers

Went out this morning. That was rough.... wish I had snowshoes..... I made it about 2/3 the way to where I was going to sit then decided "well, this is as good of a place as any".

Saw a bunch of tracks, probably from the same group of deer I had seen a few times before - a mama doe with 2 kids I think.

Time is running short! Get out there in this fresh snow guys.

And congrats to all of those who have bagged a deer and loaded up the freezer.

Hunter's dream to hunt in the fresh snow. It's like hitting the lottery minus the payoff.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Yup...had fresh tracks 10 yards in front of my stand when I got in this morning...atleast 5 deer came through within an hour or so of me getting in this am...so close!

Put in a full day. Nice and warm, comfortable. Great day to be out. Wind mostly in my face. Saw zip. Cut a track and saw what I would swear is the impression of two to three points in the snow. Back at it in the am but won't be in until 9ish.

Adamant are you on private land or do you have a stand on pub land?

Missed a doe at about 87 yards with the MZ today (using fiber sights that came with it). Time for a scope for next years season.

Missed a doe at about 87 yards with the MZ today (using fiber sights that came with it). Time for a scope for next years season.

Or maybe practice and closer shots?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I got screwed by the thaw this morning. Rather than sticking to their routine shortcut that they've been following -going over the frozen pond and through the field - they went past the pond that they couldn't cross, through the woods, and right under the other stand. I should have seen that coming.

Back
Top Bottom