• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

I finally come down from hunting. and there are 3 deer in my front yard eating the bushes right after legal hunting time.

I swear, they taunt me.

[rofl]

I'll be out Tuesday and Wednesday. It was too warm today...Would rather have it cold if I had to hang one and the next 2 days are supposed to be like today.

Last edited:
I agree. I think it was too warm and they weren't move during the day. I plan on going back out on Wednesday (Christmas). Going to be cold and clear. Perfect day. All my family stuff is in the evening so my day is clear for another hunt.

I'm all tagged out for bucks, so i got out and bagged a nice doe tonight. Happier w my shot on this one, hit her right behind shoulder and she went down in 20 yards.

believe it or not, I passed on a 8 pointer and took this doe instead!! I was tempted for sure, but like I said, I got my 2 bucks already and am trying to do the right thing.

Buck ran around for about an hour within bow range. he even smashed the dead doe a few times w his antlers. a lot of deer out tonight, hope everyone is having a good season!!

Or maybe practice and closer shots?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I do practice but just missed, it happens. As for getting closer there was no way my wheelchair or scooter were making further into the snow.

Had three does yesterday but no doe tag. Maybe 50 yards. I was walking and just made out the shape of the big one. Watched them with the nocs for a few minutes and they trotted off.
Saw zip today. Except for one mosquito.
Tired. Need sleep.

Or maybe practice and closer shots?

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Your awfully critical in this thread. I've met your type of hunter. IMO the ones who hardly hunt but talk a lot.

Last edited:
I do practice but just missed, it happens. As for getting closer there was no way my wheelchair or scooter were making further into the snow.

I am glad that you can still find a way to get out and enjoy the sport. After 6 back operations I still get out but it is tough getting around.

Bob

I am glad that you can still find a way to get out and enjoy the sport. After 6 back operations I still get out but it is tough getting around.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the kind words (and to the other members who sent me a message, you know who you are). Yeah it is tough getting out even without the snow. If the area I was at was not plowed I would not have been able to get out at all. Also in this weather if I get out I have to have someone with me in case I do get a deer they can start the dragging process [smile]

Glad you are still making it out also with the back issues. There is nothing like being outside even if you do not see anything.

My day would have been made even if I did not see the deer when a bird landed on me while I was sitting there. I figured I was doing pretty well at sitting still if he wanted to land there.

I went out today and took my ladder stand down. I haven't seen anything from that stand and have probably spent over 50 hours in it this season. With all the snow on the ground I saw a TON of tracks around where I hunt and some fresh droppings right in front of the stand, so it was a little frustrating. My only explanation that either I must reek and the deer steer clear when I'm out, or they only move at night. For you guys that do use ladder stands, do you take them out every season or do you leave them? their such a pain in the ass to drag in and out and set up that I was thinking of leaving it til next year.

My day would have been made even if I did not see the deer when a bird landed on me while I was sitting there. I figured I was doing pretty well at sitting still if he wanted to land there.

Hey Exojam, glad to hear you are able to get out in the woods, I had a similar bird experience up in Northern Maine this fall - was grouse hunting and had a crazy gray jay chase me around, i was able to snap this pic w my phone, you can see my dog running down the road in the background, this little bird-interaction made the trip for me!

jay.jpg

I went out today and took my ladder stand down. I haven't seen anything from that stand and have probably spent over 50 hours in it this season. With all the snow on the ground I saw a TON of tracks around where I hunt and some fresh droppings right in front of the stand, so it was a little frustrating. My only explanation that either I must reek and the deer steer clear when I'm out, or they only move at night. For you guys that do use ladder stands, do you take them out every season or do you leave them? their such a pain in the ass to drag in and out and set up that I was thinking of leaving it til next year.

I leave mine out permanently, but i always chain them to the tree so there are no worries about it disappearing.

If its on public land that sees a lot of people, then i would take it home.

You sir, have my respect. Glad you get out there.

I've got 2 more days I have to use or lose before the end of the year. May as well make it this week. Hunting deer by day and hunting last minute Christmas deals by evening.

I was out doing some scouting today. Saw lots of fresh droppings all around where I setup my climber. Didn't see a deer though. Did manage to pick up a few ticks on my pants - despite wearing 80% deet. Wore lite colored cloths so I could pick them up on me quickly and ditch the blood sucking hitch hikers. Next time forget the deet - I'll stick to clothing treated with permethrin. I farking hate ticks!

I was out doing some scouting today. Saw lots of fresh droppings all around where I setup my climber...... Did manage to pick up a few ticks on my pants - despite wearing 80% deet. Wore lite colored cloths so I could pick them up on me quickly and ditch the blood sucking hitch hikers. Next time forget the deet - I'll stick to clothing treated with permethrin. I farking hate ticks!

Was this in the woods, or in the mall looking for deals?

Hey Exojam, glad to hear you are able to get out in the woods, I had a similar bird experience up in Northern Maine this fall - was grouse hunting and had a crazy gray jay chase me around, i was able to snap this pic w my phone, you can see my dog running down the road in the background, this little bird-interaction made the trip for me!

View attachment 88826

See that is the stuff I love about getting out. That little guy just has a look likes he wants to spark up a conversation with you.

- - - Updated - - -

You sir, have my respect. Glad you get out there.

Thank you.

I've got 2 more days I have to use or lose before the end of the year. May as well make it this week. Hunting deer by day and hunting last minute Christmas deals by evening.

I was out doing some scouting today. Saw lots of fresh droppings all around where I setup my climber. Didn't see a deer though. Did manage to pick up a few ticks on my pants - despite wearing 80% deet. Wore lite colored cloths so I could pick them up on me quickly and ditch the blood sucking hitch hikers. Next time forget the deet - I'll stick to clothing treated with permethrin. I farking hate ticks!

DEET is useless when it comes to ticks. Switch to premethrin (on your clothing, not skin) and you will never have another tick on you again as it will kill them.

This is what I use:

http://www.greendept.com/maximpulse/tickproof/

You can also find Sawyers brand at DSG , and Cabelas. You can also find the Repel brand at Wally World.

Bob

DEET is useless when it comes to ticks. Switch to premethrin (on your clothing, not skin) and you will never have another tick on you again as it will kill them.

This is what I use:

http://www.greendept.com/maximpulse/tickproof/

You can also find Sawyers brand at DSG , and Cabelas. You can also find the Repel brand at Wally World.

Bob

Oh I know all about Premethrin. I buy the 24 oz bottle of the Sawyer stuff in 3 packs off ebay. I used Deet because I was lazy more than anything. Its supposed to repel ticks. I know it doesn't kill them like premethrin. But it should repel them. Didn't seem to be doing a good job in my estimation though.

But if it wasn't for premethrin I wouldn't go out into the woods.

Last day out and I saw either a mouse or little chipmunk. A little to far to tell exactly which it was.

Done for the year.

I hear you. Just sat down with a drinky poo. Cold today and the snow was way too noisy. Except for Xmas dinner I've survived on gas station coffee, jerky and bandannas. Thinking of calling it a wrap but may set the alarm for the am. Fatigue clouding judgement. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Miscellaneous body aches. Maybe see it thru and get up early.

I hear you. Just sat down with a drinky poo. Cold today and the snow was way too noisy. Except for Xmas dinner I've survived on gas station coffee, jerky and bandannas. Thinking of calling it a wrap but may set the alarm for the am. Fatigue clouding judgement. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Miscellaneous body aches. Maybe see it thru and get up early.

No it was not!

Now go out there tomorrow and get yourself a buck [smile]

Had my last hunt this morning. Didn't see anything today, but happy to end my season in the stand. I took one doe with my bow and saw a bunch of deer this season. I didn't get my hit list buck, but I'm pretty sure he survived. I tried really hard to put another one down and even though I didn't I'm happy I dragged myself out of bed almost every day and tried. I'm already looking forward to next year and excited to spend a little more time sleeping.

Time to try for a coyote.

Back
Top Bottom