2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

Gobble gobble, what?
Epic day for me in the woods today. This is my biggest deer ever, 10 points and I'm going to weigh him in tomorrow. We are guessing close to 200lbs dressed. He chased away the 2 doe that decided to bed down 15 yards from my stand in some thick pines, he was grunting like I never heard before.

Nice buck; congrats!!

Congrats on the bucks!
I'll admit, I've been slackin. A lot of other stuff has been hogging my attention. I'll be out there tomoro for sure tho

had a big what would have been an 8 milling around in the thicket about 150 yards from me tonight. half of one of his horns was gone, busted right off. its too thick in where he was for me to get a confident kill shot at him, not that i would have anyways, i know the deer that took his horn, thats who I'm holding out for.

got in my stand this morning, sat down for about 10 minutes and 2 does stood up no more than 30 yards from my stand. i can't believe i didn't spook them while walking in or climbing the aluminum ladder to my stand. the only thing i can guess is it was so cold they didn't care haha. they got up and moved off, i didn't see anything until about 9 when another buck, couldn't tell if it was the broken 8 the 10 i missed out on, or another one came into the thicket, poked around and then left without giving a shot or even a good chance to really identify him.

ill be back out tonight.

Bet he was over that on the hoof.

No doubt, I dressed him out right where I found him so I wouldn't be dragging any more weight than I had to. I left the liver behind in the gut pile but kept the heart, Marty H. said I have to eat it, respect thing. I am using those Grim Reaper mechanical 3 blade broadheads and wow, he stopped bleeding because his guts blocked the exit hole. My shot was about 10" further back than I wanted it, but I was shaking like a leaf when I took the shot. I am pulling 70lbs with the bow and blew clear through the rib cage even with the expandable heads.
Here is a shot of the exit hole, a little further back than the entrance hole on the other side. This is how I found him.
*For Fixah*And those are Beano's son's feet in the pic, lol. He helped me drag him out, good kid!

Last edited:
If any of you have been following my posts here, it has been one heartbreak after another this year from string failing on my bow at full draw on a doe to a delay-fired muzzleloader with nothing but brown in the sight at 10 yds. Well, lightning struck again as I was hunting the big woods of Western Maine on foot.

Last light of the last day of rifle season, temp around 15 degrees with a crust of snow so hard each step sounded like a symphony of rice crispies dropping into fresh milk blasted out of a Marshall Stack. I held tight at a wide pine motionless for an hour in a beautiful sparse grove between a snowmobile trail and a pond just east of the big buck's bedding area. I had a monster on the trail cam for two years and I knew this was his home. As darkness crept, a loud crunch approached from behind and I slowly turned to see just enough movement before it stopped at 60 yds. The head was hidden by a pine bough, but the legs were massive, lower neck swollen and square and the body just enough in front of the pine to get off a vitals shot. I raised my Remington steadying it beside the tree and peered through the scope.... come on, show your head... I have no doe permit this year so I want to be sure.... The standoff continued for what seemed 5 minutes but was more like 30 seconds in hindsight. The deer stomped and blew and I pressed the safety off to fire while waiting for rack confirmation....

Then it came, the deer lunged backwards behind the pine, blew hard, showed it's massive rack and took off high tailing it back towards its bed, the only safe place it knew.

I never pulled the trigger. 4 years hunting the big woods for big bucks and my only true opportunity was gone.

Next year I get that doe permit and never question the rack. I am past anger and just sad now.

Another great post freedom2012 even though it was one of let down. It happens to the best of us, though you have had more misfortunes in one year than most have had at all. Regardless of a doe permit next year, that buck will now live to see another season. You will cross paths again and it will be well worth the wait!

I only saw 2 does 1 buck so far and he didn't come close enough. So I guess you've had a good year. It's been very quiet this year so I'm a little bummed.

Got my first deer yesterday morning!!! Was in the stand just after 5am, was a windy day and I was starting to get a bit cold, but just after 7:00 I saw a flick of an ear and some movement in the scrub I was overlooking, too thick to see in, but about 30 seconds later a Doe came out the far side at about 60 yards, she started moving away but then hesitated and looked around for a second. Down she went, one quick kick and that was it. I don't even know how to describe the feeling after, but man was I happy. I went and checked the kill after about 10 minutes, tagged it and got back in my stand. I don't think I was cold again for the rest of the day. [smile]

Maybe 30 minutes later, saw some more movement in the same scrub area but nothing came out, got a text from my father in law who was maybe a half a mile away in another stand that a group of hunters were walking by him towards me and to be ready because they were likely going to make some deer move. Sure enough, after about 20 min all of a sudden three deer absolutely bolted from the scrub making for some cover that was a couple hundred yards away, put a slug in a 6 pointer and got my second deer. [smile] Lucky lucky day.

Oh, and so my father in law came out later to walk me through field dressing the deer, and he reached his fingers down into the kill shot and then caught me by surprise and smeared the blood on my face, I thought he was messing around but then told me about getting "blooded" after, funny stuff. I totally had a different feeling about dressing the deer as well, I've seen it done in the past with others deer and was always like, eh glad I don't have to get in there and do that... but with these, it was all business and it felt pretty good to be able to do it. FIL has taught me a ton in the last couple years about hunting, can't wait to get out and experience some more, had an amazing few days of preseason scouting and then hunting. I wish I had started sooner, guess I will just have to make up for lost time. [wink] Hope to get out another time before the end of the season, if work cooperates.

Doe picture, quick snap before I scurried back to the stand, so not a great one, she was 78 lbs. dressed

The buck and me, 102 lbs dressed:

Last edited:
Got my first deer yesterday morning!!! Was in the stand just after 5am, was a windy day and I was starting to get a bit cold, but just after 7:00 I saw a flick of an ear and some movement in the scrub I was overlooking, too thick to see in, but about 30 seconds later a Doe came out the far side at about 60 yards, she started moving away but then hesitated and looked around for a second. Down she went, one quick kick and that was it. I don't even know how to describe the feeling after, but man was I happy. I went and checked the kill after about 10 minutes, tagged it and got back in my stand. I don't think I was cold again for the rest of the day. [smile]

Maybe 30 minutes later, saw some more movement in the same scrub area but nothing came out, got a text from my father in law who was maybe a half a mile away in another stand that a group of hunters were walking by him towards me and to be ready because they were likely going to make some deer move. Sure enough, after about 20 min all of a sudden three deer absolutely bolted from the scrub making for some cover that was a couple hundred yards away, put a slug in a 6 pointer and got my second deer. [smile] Lucky lucky day.

Oh, and so my father in law came out later to walk me through field dressing the deer, and he reached his fingers down into the kill shot and then caught me by surprise and smeared the blood on my face, I thought he was messing around but then told me about getting "blooded" after, funny stuff. I totally had a different feeling about dressing the deer as well, I've seen it done in the past with others deer and was always like, eh glad I don't have to get in there and do that... but with these, it was all business and it felt pretty good to be able to do it. FIL has taught me a ton in the last couple years about hunting, can't wait to get out and experience some more, had an amazing few days of preseason scouting and then hunting. I wish I had started sooner, guess I will just have to make up for lost time. [wink] Hope to get out another time before the end of the season, if work cooperates.

ONLY two deer on one day? Meh. :)
Seriously, congrats!! What a great day and a great story! Cant wait to post my first deer story!

Bagged this giant yesterday, had a phenomenal hunt!

I've been hunting this particular deer for 3 weeks now, and finally arrowed him at first light yesterday (He turned out to be a 200 pound 9-pointer!) and within 5 minutes I saw him being chased by a pack of about 5 coyotes. It was an incredible sight, he was about 125 yards from my stand, and he would run 30-40 yards and turn and charge the snapping coyotes. They went back and forth a few times and he finally took off out of my sight. I believe he managed to jump a fence and lose the coyotes, because the 'yotes came right back to sniff around where he had been bleeding. I was still in my stand, and made a little whistling / whining noise which perked up their interest and drew them over to me. I arrowed this male coyote right in the shoulder and sent the pack to flight. The yote went right down about 50 yards away, but now I had to find that deer!

The blood trail was a mess, but there were hoof prints of the running battle, which after hours of of "deciphering" appeared to lead through the woods, over a fence, and out through some small fields and homes. I lost the blood trail and searched all the wood lots adjacent to the property and finally zeroed in on the small wood lot that was across the street but in direct line to the buck's original line of flight. Sure enough, he was down in the woods about a hundred yards in from the road. The first shot was just before 7 am and I finally found this great trophy at about 2 pm.

What a Day! What a BEAST! This guy had an arrow pass right through his chest and he still had the strength and will-power to battle a pack of coyotes and run at least 300-400 yards!! As you can probably tell, I am totally psyched I found the deer and got to experience this awesome hunt!

(sorry for Smiley pic edit, just trying to keep my online id somewhat private)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386195977577.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386195977577.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom