2013 white tail hunting pictures and experiences.

Thought it would be fun to try some tracking with fresh snow on the ground this am. Twelve and a half hours in the woods = no deer and no deer tracks. I thought walking would be more quiet with the snow, but I think it was actually worse because the snow just stuck to the bottom of my boots and every step I took was accompanied by a completely unnatural sounding squeak.

Sat down for about 20 minutes mid-day and had a coyote jog by about 15 yards away. Would have gladly taken that instead of a deer on the day, but couldn't get the gun up in time. Amazed at how big it was, though.

When I decided to start hunting this year, I never expected to see so many different animals (turkeys, black bear, moose, bobcat, and more) in the woods. It's been awesome, and I consider myself pretty lucky to have seen so many things that most people never will.

I went out this morning before work for a short sit and it was unbearably cold. I didn't see or hear anything the woods seemed pretty dead. I think it was around 10 degrees when I got into the stand.

I spent the weekend up in Pittsburg NH. On Saturday my friend and I were up at 4AM and in our blinds a little after 5. It was bitterly cold and windy and I didn't see a thing. He had a doe at his stand but didn't have a shot with his bow. Shooting time ended at around 4:45 PM so we headed back to the cabin.

Sunday we got up at 4Am again and I was in my blind at 5 on the dot. Holy Mother of God was it cold. Snowing too, and the wind was incredible. At a few points during the day it was whiteout conditions with the wind and I honestly thought some trees might come down around me. Nothing happened at all until about 4:15 when two does came into the clearing. They were good sized deer but I only had a rifle. They kept looking off to one side so I was hoping a buck was trailing them but no luck so I left the blind a few minutes before 5PM.

Sunday might have been one of the coldest days I've ever spent in the woods. Twelve hours is a looooooong time when the temps are in the single digits and the wind is howling. Fortunately, I'm tougher than woodpecker lips so I made it through.

I'll hunt locally next weekend probably.

I spent the weekend up in Pittsburg NH. On Saturday my friend and I were up at 4AM and in our blinds a little after 5. It was bitterly cold and windy and I didn't see a thing. He had a doe at his stand but didn't have a shot with his bow. Shooting time ended at around 4:45 PM so we headed back to the cabin.

Sunday we got up at 4Am again and I was in my blind at 5 on the dot. Holy Mother of God was it cold. Snowing too, and the wind was incredible. At a few points during the day it was whiteout conditions with the wind and I honestly thought some trees might come down around me. Nothing happened at all until about 4:15 when two does came into the clearing. They were good sized deer but I only had a rifle. They kept looking off to one side so I was hoping a buck was trailing them but no luck so I left the blind a few minutes before 5PM.

Sunday might have been one of the coldest days I've ever spent in the woods. Twelve hours is a looooooong time when the temps are in the single digits and the wind is howling. Fortunately, I'm tougher than woodpecker lips so I made it through.

I do not know how the hell you pulled Sunday off. I was supposed to go to NH with the shotgun but seeing that it was going to be single digits I just could not do it. I do not have the cloths needed for that type of weather.

you now have every right to call me a pussy and for me to accept that with zero resistance. you were out all day in that weather... hardcore.

I do not know how the hell you pulled Sunday off. I was supposed to go to NH with the shotgun but seeing that it was going to be single digits I just could not do it. I do not have the cloths needed for that type of weather.

I'm not gonna lie, it was tough. But I love hunting and when I have the chance to go out there I stay out all day.

The right gear is key. I wore fleece thermals, my one-piece insulated suit, a fleece neck warmer, fleece gloves, my hand muff with warmers inside and a fleece hat. My feet were in wool socks with poly liners inside my heavy duty winter hunting boots. Since I was in a blind, I also brought a sleeping bag with me that I could wrap around myself with a couple handwarmers thrown in it. It helped but I was still frigid. If I had been moving around I would have been a little warmer but you can't move around in that weather. The wind was too intense.

When I saw the deer's leg step I pulled my gloves off and got my rifle up to check for antlers. Hoping for a buck to follow them in, I kept the gun up for 10 or 15 minutes and couldn't feel my hands until I got in the truck a half hour later.

Brutal.

I'm not gonna lie, it was tough. But I love hunting and when I have the chance to go out there I stay out all day.

The right gear is key. I wore fleece thermals, my one-piece insulated suit, a fleece neck warmer, fleece gloves, my hand muff with warmers inside and a fleece hat. My feet were in wool socks with poly liners inside my heavy duty winter hunting boots. Since I was in a blind, I also brought a sleeping bag with me that I could wrap around myself with a couple handwarmers thrown in it. It helped but I was still frigid. If I had been moving around I would have been a little warmer but you can't move around in that weather. The wind was too intense.

When I saw the deer's leg step I pulled my gloves off and got my rifle up to check for antlers. Hoping for a buck to follow them in, I kept the gun up for 10 or 15 minutes and couldn't feel my hands until I got in the truck a half hour later.

Brutal.

I have seen guys wearing an HBS system but I cannot put one of those on sitting in a wheelchair but I hear they work fantastic for the guys (and girls) who can use them.

I hope my ground blind is still there and didn't blow away in this wind!!

Mine did. I had 4 stakes holding it down and it ended up blowing 100 yds across my field and bunkered up against some swamp brush at the edge. I dragged it back to it's spot in 30 mph wind. At one point I thought I was going to go for a ride. Tied it to the trees this time. I was amazed it had no damage.

I have to get a blind, or atleast make some sort of contraption out there. No way was I going to sit in a stand the last couple days.

Well the folks in my neck of the woods will have a break in the temps. 49 tomorrow and 61 on Wed (but with rain). Looks like mid 30s on thur and Fri. I may get out my short sleeve shirts for my trip into the woods on Fri/Sat.

I haven't been out since I shot that button buck. Kind of getting a little wound up..

Going out this afternoon (hopefully my blind is where I left it).

Not going out tomorrow since if rains like they are talking I think finding a blood trail will be dang near impossible (for me at least).

I saw a few heading in that got spooked by my car. They went in one direction and I was heading in the other. Had to find the blind and get it set back up. I thought they may not leave the property and come back but they never did. Saw tons of turkeys though.

Going to be windy tomorrow - so I'll probably be on the ground. Fri/Sat look real good for an all day sit in the tree though.

Not sure if im sitting or pushing tomorrow..I'll be down in CT for shotgun with my stepfather, so it'll be his call. Fri/Sat i'll be sitting locally.

Decided to stay in today, saw a spike in my backyard at around 1130. I think I'm gonna go brave the storm for a bit.

Also wish I had a ground blind on a day like today.

Yeah holy crap it's bad out there today. I'm going for duck first thing tomorrow morning, then pheasant mid- morning. Then family/ girlfriend stuff of course. Friday and Saturday I'll do duck and Monday morning is go-time for shotgun deer. I'm taking Monday through Wednesday off of work to go plow through the woods with several other guys hoping to push some big'uns out. Good luck out there, be safe.

Thought about it for today but decided to do some indoor shooting instead. Looking out the window and it is just plain nasty. Going out before dawn tomorrow for a few hours before I have to put the bird in the oven.

forecast for tomorrow in my area: Sunny with gusty winds. High around 30F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph. guess ill be riding the tree. Only get to hunt saturdays and holidays this year. Never really had any luck in the wind but hoping the storm today will have them moving. must question is what do you guys think is to windy to hunt?

Back
Top Bottom