• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1970's Colt AR-15 Upgrade Advice

Hi, I would like some help. I am stuck living between two states WA & MA with drastically shifting gun laws, so I need to make some quick decisions.

I recently purchased a pre-ban Colt AR-15 SP1 from 1978 (Making it MA legal), check. I planed to slowly upgrade it. Now WA is on the path to ban all sale/import of assult rifle parts in the next few weeks - effective immediately. This has pushed my timeline up to configure the rifle, I dont have hours and hours to do research. I would like a list of suggestions on upgrading the following parts to narrow the research and point out anything I missed.

Id like to shoot the largest variety of commonly sourced ammo because you never know whats availible these days. I also know there are some compatability nuances with older colt lowers I need advice navigating.

EDIT: the gun isnt all original parts already, I really just need help on the build and dont really want to debate gun laws and if I should keep it stock. I would appreciate some suggestions on the below. Im no expert on the AR platform so being an older reciever if there are compatability issues I should worry about let me know.

EDIT 2: It appears the gun has a colt M161A upper and a Krieger custom 20" W. J. Wylde Barrel (1987). The carrier and buffer seem to be original 1978 Colt SP1.

I would like suggestions on the following:

1) New upper reciever
-I want to convert to a flat top for optics
-Need suggestions on what do get here
-I am Assuming I should get a new carrier group etc and need recomendations

2) New barrel
-Im thinking 16" .223 wylde barrle threaded or a .556 if its significantly cheaper
-I am looking for something that is versitle and I like the option of .223 or .556
-Im also thinking 1:7 or 1:8

3) What compatability parts to I need to marry this all to the older lower

5) Should I replace the buffer and trigger assembly?

6) Rail hand guard

7) Colapible stock

8) Chargin handle

Last edited:
Bust out the CC and get several uppers

If they are going to make it stupid to get parts then you might as well get what you can reasonably afford before your fingers get shut in that closing window

So, the only real useful item you have is the lower. Recommend to get something newer and sell what you got.

The value of what you have. Should be more than what you really want. You could see if someone would want to trade as well. Because that rifle is wanted as is. Heck, I am looking for one. But, I am in a free state and don't worry about laws like that

The purist in me screams blasphemy.

The hotrodder in me, smiles off into the distance.

Sorry, I have nothing else to add to the thread.

I know Im keeping the old parts, but this was a well used gun so eventually it could use new parts anyway. It certainly isnt in collector condition and its the only thing that works in MA. Sigh.

In terms of buying multiple parts, I dont want to buy a ton of different stuff, Id like to have one functional build and stick to it. Its something I would like to build and have before we cant anymore. Unfortunately, work and family keeps me in these two states. It used to be easy in WA, now many things have changed. This is my first endevor into the world of ARs I was expecting to slowly research and build something over the next year. Now I have to do it all at once.

On budget, I would like to buy good value, quality, parts. I want relaible stuff that works, but Im also not tyring to win any competitions.

On why an SP1, well it was affordable, nearby, and easy to verify as pre-ban. Thats what I have to work with.

Last edited:
What's your budget?
I assume you are asking me. I'd prefer to keep it below 1K. I do have a lower I can just slap the upper on and be good to go. So, I could just grab an upper.

It's weird how you want things, just because. Not like you need it.

I know Im keeping the old parts, but this was a well used gun so eventually it could use new parts anyway. It certainly isnt in collector condition and its the only thing that works in MA. Sigh.

In terms of buying multiple parts, I dont want to buy a ton of different stuff, Id like to have one functional build and stick to it. Its something I would like to build and have before we cant anymore. Unfortunately, work and family keeps me in these two states. It used to be easy in WA, now many things have changed. This is my first endevor into the world of ARs I was expecting to slowly research and build something over the next year. Now I have to do it all at once.

On budget, I would like to buy good value, quality, parts. I want relaible stuff that works, but Im also not tyring to win any competitions.
Then, buy an upper, complete. And the stock you want. Done.

Basically leave it as it is since the M16a1 configuration is allegedly the best and only valid setup for an AR (according to several Vietnam veterans I conversed with)

But the real question is.......................why do you need all these whizbang gizmos like an EOTech or free float rail, adjustable stock, etc? Nobody needs that stuff

Why do you need a weapon of war to begin with?

iu

(Here's a picture of your AR15..... ENGAGED IN A LITERAL WAR IN VIETNAM)

Keep that stuff in Redneckistan, Chiraq (where you are from according to your name) and Texas!!! We don't need more assault weapons on our streets.

Spend a few hours on Brownells and Midway USA decide what you want and purchase. As far as uppers it depends how much you are willing to pay BCA has some very good complete uppers that seem to work quite good. Also they have side charging uppers if you are looking for something different. They run sales all the time and the pricing is a real value.

Not sure about sp1's but check the takedown/pivot/hammer/trigger pin sizes on the lower in case they're the bigger ones and if so plan accordingly.
And no, it's not "the only thing that works in ma".... For another hundred or two you can just buy a new lower and leave the sp1 be...

If you got the coin, get a BCM, Knights, DD, Radian....something like that for a pre-built complete upper, and call it a day. No serious research required, as it sounds like time is of the essence. Not cheap though, but you get what you pay for.

That aside, how the hell are they going to enforce a parts ban? Like all the way to furniture? None of that stuff is serialized. How would they know when you bought it?

Hi, I would like some help. I am stuck living between two states WA & MA with drastically shifting gun laws, so I need to make some quick decisions.

So, I recently purchased a pre-ban Colt AR-15 SP1 from 1978 (Making it MA legal), check. I planed to slowly upgrade it. Now WA is on the path to ban all sale/import of assult rifle parts in the next few weeks - effective immediately. This has pushed my timeline up to configure the rifle, I dont have hours and hours to do research. I would like a list of suggestions on upgrading the following parts to narrow the research and point out anything I missed.

I would like suggestions on the following, Id like shot the largest variety of commonly sourced ammo because you never know whats availible these days, and hey if SHTF versatility is never bad ha.

1) New upper reciever
-I want to convert to a flat top
-Need suggestions on what do get here
-Assuming I should get a new carrier group etc need recomendations

2) New barrel
-Im thinking 16" .223 wylde barrle threaded or a .556 if its significantly cheaper
-I am looking for something that is versitle and I like the option of .223 or .556
-Im also thinking 1:7 or 1:8

3) What compatability parts to I need to marry this all to the older lower

5) Rail hand guard

6) Colapible stock

7) Chargin handle
Do you have a large hole or a small hole set up he he he

So, the only real useful item you have is the lower. Recommend to get something newer and sell what you got.

The value of what you have. Should be more than what you really want. You could see if someone would want to trade as well. Because that rifle is wanted as is. Heck, I am looking for one. But, I am in a free state and don't worry about laws like that
lol yes, actually I would be happy with this. Im honestly not sure how particularly valuable the rifle I have is. My understanding is the really early SP1s are sought after and the later ones are not. This was just something that I could easily find and was not overpriced. I was not loving the 5x cost increase of pre-ban firearms.

I think of colt being farily reliable and it was certainly the easiest to verify as pre-ban (which is what matters most to me).

Just hang onto it for a couple years.

I get the urge to grab the parts NOW and I understand there is time pressure to do so. But an SP1 has value in no-ban states as well, solely due to its collectibility, so I would not mess with it.

These laws will all eventually fall, at which point ALL the value in your SP1 will be based on its '78 parts and configuration. Meanwhile, it's a perfectly serviceable rifle if you like the AR platform. Nevermind what the lego-gun fanbois say.

Save your money and buy a real gun. Something in 7.62.

If you got the coin, get a BCM, Knights, DD, Radian....something like that for a pre-built complete upper, and call it a day. No serious research required, as it sounds like time is of the essence. Not cheap though, but you get what you pay for.

That aside, how the hell are they going to enforce a parts ban? Like all the way to furniture? None of that stuff is serialized. How would they know when you bought it?

All they enforce here is the sale/importing - posession is fine. They just did it with mags.

Nothing is grandfathered so you can keep what you have but never get anything more/new. From a control standpoint is actually pretty smart, if you move out of state you cant give your stuff to your neigbor. Yes, I am sure there are people doing cash local sales, or buying parts out of state and driving them in, but that is illegal and not something I would choose to participate in.

All they enforce here is the sale/importing - posession is fine. They just did it with mags.

Nothing is grandfathered so you can keep what you have but never get anything more/new. From a control standpoint is actually pretty smart, if you move out of state you cant give your stuff to your neigbor. Yes, I am sure there are people doing cash local sales, or buying parts out of state and driving them in, but that is illegal and not something I would choose to participate in.

That sounds like it is grandfathered.

buying parts out of state and driving them in, but that is illegal and not something I would choose to participate in.

Bummer.

Because that was my other suggestion. It's not really illegal, y'know, under our Constitution. But then, we all have our own preferred level of risk.

That sounds like it is grandfathered.
It sortof depends. You cant buy/sell items so they are not grandfathered. Possession is just not illegal. I guess its grandfathered to a point, but bassically I wont be able to buy any new pieces for the firearm.

Most new england states allow you to purchase parts, buy sell items from before the law went into affect, etc.

It sortof depends. You cant buy/sell items so they are not grandfathered. Possession is just not illegal. I guess its grandfathered to a point, but bassically I wont be able to buy any new pieces for the firearm.

Most new england states allow you to purchase parts, buy sell items from before the law went into affect, etc.

So after this law take effect, you could, say, buy a red dot or sling for your rifle while in WA? What if you wanted to shoulder carry a broom and make sure you were deadly accurate with it?

So funny update, looking harder at it, im not sure it has the original parts. The upper has slightly different finish than the lower, and the barrel has seems to be replaced as well:

Marking on current barrel are:
Krieger, M 708, 7 31 87 W. J. WYLDE

So funny update, looking harder at it, im not sure it has the original parts. The upper has slightly different finish than the lower, and the barrel has seems to be replaced as well:

Marking on current barrel are:
Krieger, M 708, 7 31 87 W. J. WYLDE
Yeah, barrel is a grandson of a lower there. 20 years gap.
Just swap it as you see fit then, if all original parts are already gone.

Back
Top Bottom