1970's Colt AR-15 Upgrade Advice

Hi, I would like some help. I am stuck living between two states WA & MA with drastically shifting gun laws, so I need to make some quick decisions.

So, I recently purchased a pre-ban Colt AR-15 SP1 from 1978 (Making it MA legal), check. I planed to slowly upgrade it. Now WA is on the path to ban all sale/import of assult rifle parts in the next few weeks - effective immediately. This has pushed my timeline up to configure the rifle, I dont have hours and hours to do research. I would like a list of suggestions on upgrading the following parts to narrow the research and point out anything I missed.
Have I missed something here? WA or MA?

EDIT: Never mind. Re-reading the OP cleared it up. Hell, re-reading the part I quoted did.

I seem to already have a pin conversion adapter, which leads me to believe the upper is also new.

...meaning, the upper you have on there now is non-original, you think?

So much for "collector value" then, I suppose.

Basically leave it as it is since the M16a1 configuration is allegedly the best and only valid setup for an AR (according to several Vietnam veterans I conversed with)

But the real question is.......................why do you need all these whizbang gizmos like an EOTech or free float rail, adjustable stock, etc? Nobody needs that stuff

Why do you need a weapon of war to begin with?

iu

(Here's a picture of your AR15..... ENGAGED IN A LITERAL WAR IN VIETNAM)

Keep that stuff in Redneckistan, Chiraq (where you are from according to your name) and Texas!!! We don't need more assault weapons on our streets.
My Vietnam bet father, going on 10 years underground, was not fond of the M16. He always used to bust my balls about ARs. Mine work. Some of those new fangled M16s, at the time, didn’t work with well.

My Vietnam bet father, going on 10 years underground, was not fond of the M16. He always used to bust my balls about ARs. Mine work. Some of those new fangled M16s, at the time, didn’t work with well.
I'm just waffling since this post is suspect LOL. Yeah the M16 was 'beta tested' in the field...

...meaning, the upper you have on there now is non-original, you think?

So much for "collector value" then, I suppose.
i wanted to suggest to check the lowers date of birth by the serial number, but restrained myself. but not for long. :)
yeah, it seems all collectable from it had been already collected.

Save it for a number of years let it appreciate in value don’t operate it and buy parts to assemble a different AR on the go so its easier to travel between states. That way, the wear and tear you take from commuting wont be cruelly exacted upon a beautiful SP1.

Really not sure how this post is suspect... In MA pre-ban is really the only way to deal with Healey's interpretation of the law. I found a good opportunity to purchase a pre-ban rifle at non-preban cost, which seems like a good thing.

Anyway, I pulled appart the rifle tonight to clean/inspect it, and it would appear to me mutlple parts have been replaced. Im not an expert on ARs by any means, but this appears to have a custom match barrel, a different upper that has a small/normal pin whole that still looks like its a colt upper, so I am trying to figure out what that is, and a custom stock.

I didnt have alot of time to inspect this when I purchased it other than to check the serial, which yes, is preban (1978); again, I was really only purchaing it for the preban lower. Im not really interested in keeping it as a stock SP1, which it already isnt.

Really not sure how this post is suspect... In MA pre-ban is really the only way to deal with Healey's interpretation of the law. I found a good opportunity to purchase a pre-ban rifle at non-preban cost, which seems like a good thing.

Anyway, I pulled appart the rifle tonight to clean/inspect it, and it would appear to me mutlple parts have been replaced. Im not an expert on ARs by any means, but this appears to have a custom match barrel, a different upper that has a small/normal pin whole that still looks like its a colt upper, so I am trying to figure out what that is, and a custom stock.

I didnt have alot of time to inspect this when I purchased it other than to check the serial, which yes, is preban (1978); again, I was really only purchaing it for the preban lower. Im not really interested in keeping it as a stock SP1, which it already isnt.
did you shoot it at all yet? may be it needs no upgrades as is. just saying.

sooo.... you from Chicago and somehow live back and forth between WA and MA ?

disconnect original upper and store it.
from lower - take out trigger, keep all the parts.
put in triggertech trigger.
buy a larue upper, put it on top (deal with pins converter, if needed).
enjoy.
Thank you for the most helpful post thus far :)

It seems like Larue is a constant across these posts. Any idea if there would be compatability issues with the current buffer that is in it? It has the weighted style buffer.

I am fairly positive the upper is from a colt M161A based on the production markings, small holes, and the horshoe selective fire cutout cutout.

did you shoot it at all yet? may be it needs no upgrades as is. just saying.

I have not, I didnt have any .223 55 grain. I was assuming the barrel was original 1/12 20"

I have no idea what the twist/chamber is on it though now. It has a custom KRIEGER barrel. I reached out to the manufacturer and hopefully will hear back soon if they have information on the serial number.

Thank you for the most helpful post thus far :)

It seems like Larue is a constant across these posts. Any idea if there would be compatability issues with the current buffer that is in it? It has the weighted style buffer.

I am fairly positive the upper is from a colt M161A based on the production markings, small holes, and the horshoe selective fire cutout cutout.
Buffer swap if needed is a too simple task to worry about.

Get 55,69 and 75 gr loads, take gun to 100yds and test it. If not happy- get a LaRue. I have 2 and both are great.

Not sure about sp1's but check the takedown/pivot/hammer/trigger pin sizes on the lower in case they're the bigger ones and if so plan accordingly.
And no, it's not "the only thing that works in ma".... For another hundred or two you can just buy a new lower and leave the sp1 be...

1978? You may or may not need the offset pivot pin.

Do you have a large hole or a small hole set up he he he
It’s a small pin fire control group.. based solely on its year of manufacture.

As far as the front pin I believe it may or may not be small pivot pin.. off hand I don’t remember the year the atf started pressuring manufacturers to do that stupid stuff… id find it desirable/valuable to be small pin, but it really doesn’t matter. The adapter pins can break or affect the gap between upper and lower, but it’s really easy to adjust… seeing as how your only doing semi auto you’ll likely never have a problem.

Also Just for your information you have a “low shelf receiver” meaning it is capable of accepting a RDIAS with no modification. And is ready to accept a m16 FCG as is..

None of the above matters to you if you don’t even know what kind of upper you want..

Buy yourself a few shitty ones or a couple nice uppers..

Grab a few lower parts kits, buffer spring.. the basic stuff your good for life

It’s a small pin fire control group.. based solely on its year of manufacture.

As far as the front pin I believe it may or may not be small pivot pin.. off hand I don’t remember the year the atf started pressuring manufacturers to do that stupid stuff… id find it desirable/valuable to be small pin, but it really doesn’t matter. The adapter pins can break or affect the gap between upper and lower, but it’s really easy to adjust… seeing as how your only doing semi auto you’ll likely never have a problem.

Also Just for your information you have a “low shelf receiver” meaning it is capable of accepting a RDIAS with no modification. And is ready to accept a m16 FCG as is..

None of the above matters to you if you don’t even know what kind of upper you want..

Buy yourself a few shitty ones or a couple nice uppers..

Grab a few lower parts kits, buffer spring.. the basic stuff your good for life

I would like an A4 upper.

Back
Top Bottom