1911s...Now I Get It!

The scandiums have a habit of ejecting cases into your head if you don't have a solid grip

So tighten up your grip? [laugh] The only gun I've seen this happen with before is the Desert Eagle 50AE, you never really know how it's going to shoot your brass and if you don't plan ahead normally it's straight back at your forehead.

I love my sw1911pd, it's quick, reliable and allows me to hit steel at 100yrds which I think is pretty cool considering. Very hard to miss with it.

I must be one of the lucky ones with kimbers. I have a new one and an older one with no problems ever.I also have a S&W that's a nice shooter but my recent STI purchase is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. I'm looking at the E series, I'm partial to stainless. Scandium is not on the menu since this is intended for the range.

That tour didn't do anything to turn me off to S&W. They're not perfect but they're definitely on the move to implement some sound manufacturing/quality techniques. At some point I may have to just intentionally purchase a firearm they weren't involved in [smile]

well, i'll prob try the smith and spend the coin to put a couple hundred rounds of hollow points through it along with regular fare. I carry hydrashocks in the G21 so the 1911 will get the same. now.... i wonder if S&W gives free samples.......

If you want a S&W, get their new E-series. It is a fair bit different than their previous 1911s (in a better way).

stay away from Kimber unless you like being their quality control

Too each his own I guess. Never has an issue with any of the Kimber's I've owned (Colt's neither). I carry one now and have no reservations about it at all.

I only own one S&W 1911 and it has never had a hiccup while digesting anything I feed it although any SWC ammo is a bit too clunky for my taste.

I must be one of the lucky ones with kimbers. I have a new one and an older one with no problems ever.I also have a S&W that's a nice shooter but my recent STI purchase is my favorite.

I'm with you. My pro sized CDP II runs flawlessly and looks damn good while doing so. Something about that carry melt treatment...

I hate S&W so I might be a wee bit biased. But then I don't ever support arms makers that have supported gun control ever.

As of 2011, S&W supports gun owners in MA far better than pretty much any other manufacturer. You don't see HK, Glock, Colt, Springfield or even SIG making any effort to bring their new models to this state.

If you want a S&W, get their new E-series. It is a fair bit different than their previous 1911s (in a better way).

Are you saying that there is a functional or mechanical improvement in the E series? If so, would you mind saying what that is? I am not arguing with you, I was just unaware.

IDC has two Colt 1911s in their case- one a commander model, series 80, such as I have, the other a full size. Both stainless, both very well-priced. I've got the very same gun, and I still keep looking at it, thinking maybe I should have 2...they are that addicting.

Last edited:
This is my main carry. I've put many rounds of all kinds thru it and never had one issue. It accurate as heck, light and totally reliable. What more can you ask for in a carry gun?

1911sc1.jpg

I'l match it up with any non scandium Smith for accuracy anytime, so don't go and buy something heavier just for the range.

BTW, if you can carry the commander size in Sc, carrying a full SS unit is very little difference. I sometimes carry my 1943 GI Ithaca and hardly notice it. It's all what you get used to.

As of 2011, S&W supports gun owners in MA far better than pretty much any other manufacturer. You don't see HK, Glock, Colt, Springfield or even SIG making any effort to bring their new models to this state.

Why should they? Maybe then Ma**h***s will think more before enacting such inept, imbecilic firearms laws.

Why should they? Maybe then Ma**h***s will think more before enacting such inept, imbecilic firearms laws.

Dude, please. We're a minority. 'Ma**h***s' as a whole are GLAD its hard for us to buy guns. Anyone who makes it easier for us is a friend. Period.

Any reason NOT to look at the S&W 1911s?

The E-Series have received good reviews from people who know 1911s. You need to replace the springs if you intend to shoot really hot loads, but other than that, they're pretty nice.

Are you saying that there is a functional or mechanical improvement in the E series? If so, would you mind saying what that is? I am not arguing with you, I was just unaware.
The previous S&w 1911s use their proprietary Swartz-style firing pin safety. While theirs has been less problematic than the similar Kimber II, it still depends upon being well fitted. If it isn't well fitted, you can get a failure to go bang. That is, you pull the trigger but the gun doesn't fire. This doesn't happen very often, but it has happened.

The new e-series dispenses with the Swartz-style safety and instead uses a series 70 action with a titanium firing pin and an extra strength firing pin retaining spring. That is a simpler and more reliable system.

Gunsmith Hilton Yam over at the 10-8forums has a new e-series and he has posted very complimentary things about it.

The previous S&w 1911s use their proprietary Swartz-style firing pin safety. While theirs has been less problematic than the similar Kimber II, it still depends upon being well fitted. If it isn't well fitted, you can get a failure to go bang. That is, you pull the trigger but the gun doesn't fire. This doesn't happen very often, but it has happened.

The new e-series dispenses with the Swartz-style safety and instead uses a series 70 action with a titanium firing pin and an extra strength firing pin retaining spring. That is a simpler and more reliable system.

Gunsmith Hilton Yam over at the 10-8forums has a new e-series and he has posted very complimentary things about it.

Ah! Excellent info. Thanks! [cheers]

Yup, e series uses a different "beefier" extractor as well.

I own a S&W 1911 and love it. Since Kimber and Colt have no offerings in MA... and the over priced used Colts are kind of hard to find too.

Now that is the kind of in depth explanation I would expect from someone with your screen name on this topic! [wink] Thanks!

I didn't say they should and that's not the point. The point is S&W support gun owners in this state much more than any other manufacturer. That's not a manufacturer that supports gun control.

As far as enacting more stupid laws, that will happen whether or not Glock, Colt, etc start selling guns here.

I had a S&W for a while the traded it in on a SIG. I think the SIG is better made... feels more 'substantial' and is a better shooter.
IMG_0559.jpg

I have a GSR also and agree. I had a S&W 1911Sc and it was very reliable but the GSR is tighter and does feel better made. On the other hand, my particular GSR has feeding problems. It does OK with ball ammo but not so great with Fed HST. I should send it back.

I didn't say they should and that's not the point. The point is S&W support gun owners in this state much more than any other manufacturer. That's not a manufacturer that supports gun control.

As far as enacting more stupid laws, that will happen whether or not Glock, Colt, etc start selling guns here.

As I was corrected earlier, S&w is under new management. I don't think the fact that S&W panders to the whims of beacon hill makes them a good manufacturer.

How are the Sig 1911?

I love mine. I bought the target stainless and since I started shooting it, my other guns seem to spend more time in the safe. I did switch to Wilson Combat mags for it, mostly 8 rounders but a couple of ten rounders. The ten rounders obvious stick out, but it still looks ok.

Back
Top Bottom