1911s...Now I Get It!

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
I've always heard people raving about 1911s but I never really got it. Didn't seem so special to me. Of course, I hadn't shot one...

When we went to the S&W Shooting Center I had the chance to put a few mags through on of their 1911s and now I'm hooked. I've never shot so well with a gun before! And holy crap, did it feel good in my hands! It's the next purchase on the list for sure.

Any reason NOT to look at the S&W 1911s?

I own two, do not own other brands but have shot them and as far as I can tell from that limited shooting experience the Smiths hold up.

As a recent convert myself I can understand the epiphany you are having, they really are an awesome firearm.

S&W are fine guns. If you are just using it for the range, then get a government steel model, not a scandium. It will be a little smoother to shoot

I hate S&W so I might be a wee bit biased. But then I don't ever support arms makers that have supported gun control ever.

S&W is not the same company they once were... then again neither is Kimber

Oh and Colt support gun control also

Last edited:
I hate S&W so I might be a wee bit biased. But then I don't ever support arms makers that have supported gun control ever.

The company was owned by different people then, not really relevant IMO.

I had an S&W 1911 and it was a sweetie. Although I'm very happy with my SA MC operator, I think, for the money, that the new S&W E series is the best value on the market.

Have you been living under a rock or something? S&W has changed ownership since that happened... a really long time ago. [thinking]

-Mike

Oh and Colt support gun control also

Yeah, if he's going to pull that BS, he shouldn't own a Colt, or an HK, since both were operated/owned at one time, by Donald Zilkha, a big time clintonite and anti gunner.

-Mike

Again a company that once supported gun control? Uggh.

You do realize that most people consider any company that makes an IL mode as "selling out" this includes colt and kimber among others.

S&W makes MA complant models at least, that's a lot more than I can say about a lot of other companies.

But, then again, it doesn't matter anyways the company has new owners since the whole clinton BS

Are there reasonably priced Kimbers in MA? If so, where?

You can find them from time to time, but trust me, you're not missing anything. The older Kimbers are nice, but S+W produces a better product for the money, in that realm, for new guns.

-Mike

This thread is of interest to me because i want to get a 1911. Mostly as a summer carry gun that is slimmer than my G21. I like the S&W 1911's but i want a weapon i can bet my life on

This thread is of interest to me because i want to get a 1911. Mostly as a summer carry gun that is slimmer than my G21. I like the S&W 1911's but i want a weapon i can bet my life on

The scandium commanders are nice, but like with any gun, I would beat the snot out of it before trusting it as a carry gun. A close friend of mine has one of the 1911SCs (with the big billboard on it) and he beats the snot out of his, runs well. He did have the plunger tube fall off once, but at one point pretty much everyone with a scandium 1911 had the tube fall off the gun. I think smith got a bad run of parts or something, but that was a couple years or so ago.

-Mike

IMUO, this is what is so wonderful about 1911s, they "just work" for a wide variety of people where other guns work for some and not others...

That said, capacity kills them for me as a carry gun...

Love to shoot it though...

How are the Sig 1911?

I got one and love mine. It was a $1100 gun I got at Manchester Firing line for $599!
It was a Factory reconditioned model with a year warranty.
it shoots well and I love it.

IMG_3325.jpg

I think you can trust an S&W 1911 as much as any other major production 1911. If price isn't an issue spend $2,500+ on a semi-custom pistol (like a Wilson). Otherwise, buy an S&W put 1,000 rounds through it and have a good smith replace what ever breaks.

I'm not a fan of the S&W 1911 myself. You'll pay more to get a nice colt, kimber or SA in MA though.

Kimbers, colts, and many SA models are more expensive that S&W in free states as well (although not as much), but I'd still probably take a good heard look at an S&W - the external extractor (espically the big ones on the E series just seem to work very well).

With that said, I do like my springer :)

004-4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom