1911 - pros and cons?

I carried a 1911 in one for or another for 20-years and loved every single one. I have been 1911-less for too long now and am in the very early stages of building a custom 10mm at Remsport. if you have not taken the time, go there - 1911 frames and slides everywhere...(it's like a 1911 crackhouse). If you're going to add one to the collection, build one, (or have one built). The cost is competitive with off-the-rack and you can build exactly what you want - not buy something someone else decided was for you, (and the masses). When mine is done - no one will have one exactly like it...

Custom 10mm long-slide 1911!

images

I bought my first 1911 in the '70's is was a Colt Government Model it was a jam-o-matic. I sent it back to Colt and they did a 'minor' tune-up (very minor). Later I bought a Colt Gold Cup .45. Just as bad as the first one. I've had other guys shoot both and they agreeded it wasn't me. I swore off 1911's. Until, S&W 1911 came along. Well, 2000 rounds later it chews up everything I fed it. I found a few boxes of reload's I made back in the '80's and it ran those, no problem. So I love my S&W 1911. [smile]

sw1911.jpg

I dont know the ins and outs of the 1911 yet, but I did just get my first 1911 a week ago. Smith PD model with a ambi saftey and a rail. After shooting it a few times its all I want to shoot. Awesome gun!

When a friend asked me for my opinion on a new handgun, I told him simply this, "1911, whacking tangos for 100 years."

Pros: The platform has been around for a century and stands the test of time. It is a great looking platform. It shoots and feels great.
Cons: You can become addicted and want to add more to your collection.

Ok I think of a 1911 con: Having to remove the manual safety to unload the gun. It would be nice if you could leave the thing on safe and rack the slide.

It would be nice if you could leave the thing on safe and rack the slide.

When the thumb safety is off, the grip safety is still on.

Pop the mag out just a little, and it becomes an extension of the grip. Then grab the grip/mag lower then the safety so you don't squeeze the safety and you can rack the slide easily with one safety still in place.

Pop the mag out just a little, and it becomes an extension of the grip. Then grab the grip/mag lower then the safety so you don't squeeze the safety and you can rack the slide easily with one safety still in place.

When I empty a firearm I like to take the mag all the way out. Good point tho.

Ok I think of a 1911 con: Having to remove the manual safety to unload the gun. It would be nice if you could leave the thing on safe and rack the slide.
That "con" is also a "pro." With the safety on, it locks the slide in battery. So when you are holstering the gun, a tight holster can't push the slide back and out of battery.

The only con to a 1911 I see is if you're a limp wristed sissy.....

Actually, my 1911 is amazingly accurate. It is my favorite pistol but I cannot conceal it too well so its not a good carry gun for someone with a smaller frame.

I have to disagree with this on a couple of fronts. I have carried both standard and officer's model 1911's concealed without issue. The only difference is the Officer's Model is trivial to conceal almost anywhere and the full-frame takes a bit of effort, though it's not hard to do.
For the record, the last time I carried these guns (Can't in Mass yet...black town) I was 138 pounds with a 30-inch waist. It's a little more work for a female (hips) but I've seen it done effectively by very petite women.

i have a ruger p345 and it is accurate, reliable with everything ive put through it and it is easy to take down to clean. the price isnt bad either mine nib was under $500 including tax.

I have to disagree with this on a couple of fronts. I have carried both standard and officer's model 1911's concealed without issue. The only difference is the Officer's Model is trivial to conceal almost anywhere and the full-frame takes a bit of effort, though it's not hard to do.
For the record, the last time I carried these guns (Can't in Mass yet...black town) I was 138 pounds with a 30-inch waist. It's a little more work for a female (hips) but I've seen it done effectively by very petite women.

Well we can agree to disagree... I cannot conceal my full sized 1911 with out wearing large baggy clothes that make me look like a slob or gangster. Curves and hips on a smaller frame are an issue. Im not built like a box so putting a large gun on my hip doesn't work well.

I suppose smaller people can carry in different places for a more effective carry, but the hip is not effective ( for me and others I know). I even tend to have issued concealing a compact M&P 9mm.

Why buy a .45 cal 1911.....?????? Cause they don't make one in .46 call [smile]
I love to reload for that Cal and I have 3 -1911s, and one Sig (cough) P220 that is almost as sweet as the 1911s
Roll your own loads are pretty cheap considering
Tank

OK, here's my take... I have a love-hate relationship with the things, more love than hate...

Pros - Too many to list without overrunning the character count, but I'll highlight a few.

-Best trigger. Customizable, doesn't suck, easiest to shoot... ever.

-Low, if not, the lowest, bore axis. Excellent recoil/flip control.

-Customizable in general- there are more aftermarket parts for these things than all other gun makes combined.

-Fits most people's hands very well. Most guns have crappy ergos compared to a 1911.

-Often is most natural point of aim of any handgun for lots of users.

-Can be made really, really, accurate.

-Optics and compensators are not exotic items for a 1911.

-Several guys locally can repair/mod without having to ship. Makes life easier.

Cons -

- F**king s**ty ass plunger tube design. (Some guns have it integrated, about time)

- F**king swinging link design. Hint: There's a reason the Browning Hi Power doesn't have it.... Browning or Dieudonné Saive decided the swinging link thing sucked ass and got rid of it. Thank god.

- F**king controlled feed design.... which creates reliability issues, and is part of the reason why there is no one gold
standard 1911 mag that reliably feeds all kinds of ammunition in all 1911s. Can be overcome, but it is annoying.

- Lame manufacturers that don't do it right and sell broken 1911s. (EG, garbage like the springfield micro and the Para Warthog.... come on people... cut me a break here. Those are not 1911s, they're crap. )

- Poorly done up double stack 1911s. Para being the worst offender, there are others. Most have to be "gunsmith specialed" to make them work right. Magazine tuning? Blech. What a friggan mess.

- Some 1911s have a low reliability overhead. If your gun is tight, you can forget pouring 500+ down the pipe without
at least some form of clean and lube job.

Before anyone flames the crap out of me... despite all the above... I own a couple of 1911s and want to buy more. The benefits still generally far outweigh the inherent flaws of the design. It's not flawless but no handgun is. Some well done
1911s are pretty close to that standard, though.

-Mike

Ballpark, how much does such an undertaking cost (if you don't mind me asking)?

Someone who has completed the process can tell you better, or give John a call at Remsport. I think when all is said and done, I'll have $8-900.00 into this, but it will be uniquely mine....I think it would be far less if I was just going for a straight build.

So, basically, the same price as a new S&W 1911? For a custom, unique, gun in an exotic caliber? Man, there goes my finances.

That "con" is also a "pro." With the safety on, it locks the slide in battery. So when you are holstering the gun, a tight holster can't push the slide back and out of battery.

Such an important feature that virtually no other designs use it.[rolleyes]

When a 1911 is in my hands, "no it's not" [grin]. It's force of habit, but I generally don't unload any semiauto without something resembling a full grip- at least one that would deactivate the safety.

About the only thing the silly grip safety is useful for is it will probably prevent an ND if someone drops the gun with the safety off, and if the trigger catches something on the way down... other than that, IMHO the grip safety is worthless.

I'm trying to remember who the manuf was, but at least one parts company agreed with me- they were going to make an MSH/Beavertail thing that was one continuous piece. I think they never bothered selling it though, due to the liability notional of "eliminating a safety feature" or some crud like that.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom