1911 - pros and cons?

Well we can agree to disagree... I cannot conceal my full sized 1911 with out wearing large baggy clothes that make me look like a slob or gangster. Curves and hips on a smaller frame are an issue. Im not built like a box so putting a large gun on my hip doesn't work well.

I suppose smaller people can carry in different places for a more effective carry, but the hip is not effective ( for me and others I know). I even tend to have issued concealing a compact M&P 9mm.

As I recall I used the small of my back for the full-frame. It was fine except in the car. That was a nightmare. Have you tried the compact frame on your hip? It's a lot slimmer than most guns and short, so it would seem a hip carry that worked for anything but a small .380 would work for a compact 1911.

As I recall I used the small of my back for the full-frame. It was fine except in the car. That was a nightmare. Have you tried the compact frame on your hip? It's a lot slimmer than most guns and short, so it would seem a hip carry that worked for anything but a small .380 would work for a compact 1911.

I have a strange fear of carrying in the small of my back[thinking] And I can only imagine driving while carrying that way can be pretty uncomfortable.

Considering I work at GOAL, with the assistance of Jon Green Im sure I could conceal a .50 Cal - but concealing my full sized 1911 has proven to be almost impossible. The only compact pistol I have is the M&P 9 and I cant even conceal that properly. [frown]

The only success I have had is a j-frame revolver, but I would much rather carry my 1911.

I have a strange fear of carrying in the small of my back[thinking] And I can only imagine driving while carrying that way can be pretty uncomfortable.

I can't say that I blame you. I carried a gun SOB exactly one time, on a short trip to the grocery store. Never again. Ever. It's completely and utterly worthless, for more reasons than I can count. [laugh] There is a reason many holster manufs won't even make SOB holsters.

-Mike

Obviously this is smaller than my full sized, and this may be a silly question, but is the grip less bulky?
Yes, the grip frame is shorter. The full size takes 8 round magazines. The officers (3") and compact (4") both use the 7 round magazines. If you want to shoot mine sometimes, just send me a PM.

Im not in the market for a new 1911 right now, but when I am Ill see if that would work better.

Obviously this is smaller than my full sized, and this may be a silly question, but is the grip less bulky?

Try out one of the Springfield Armory EMP's in 9mm. They are 9+1 and are only 23 Oz.

EMP2.jpg

Pros:Great pistol for Battle or sport. Accurate, plenty of stopping power. plenty of options.
Cons:Not great for carry. Requires more training and dicipline to operate safely. Too many green beans out there getting LTC, buying compact 1911's for carry & not knowing the first thing about them.
Just my opinions but 1911 is for a more advanced shooter.

Don't bother worrying about pros and cons. Go to a range with a friend or fellow range member who owns one. Shoot a box out of it. You'll want it afterward.

As I said earlier in the thread, "I love these threads'' and this one is the best so far!

Oh, and Mark, you got me wanting an officers mod frame, with a long slide, in 9x23![laugh]

I think the best thing about 1911s is the accuracy, trigger and general feel.

I'll admit though, if I could only have one handgun, it wouldn't be a 1911. JMB will probably strike me down for saying that.

Back
Top Bottom