1911 - pros and cons?

I am considering adding a 1911 to the collection and have looked at all the great pictures on the forum, which makes selecting a model even more difficult. I would like to know what people most like & dislike about their 1911's. I probably won't use it as a carry weapon. mostly to be used for target practice. I have leafed through the posts and have picked up bits and pieces of information so anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-MS

I love my S&W 1911. It is a basic Stainless model with Novak low profile carry sights. they have a bunch of different models to consider.

You can always build one yourself or have one built by one of the many great gunsmiths in the area.

The only con to a 1911 I see is if you're a limp wristed sissy.....

Actually, my 1911 is amazingly accurate. It is my favorite pistol but I cannot conceal it too well so its not a good carry gun for someone with a smaller frame. ( even though it looks badass on my hip at the range)

1911?

What's a 1911?

Never heard of it.

postpics.Headscratch.gif

[rofl]

IMO
Pro's: great design, can be tinkered with - lots of variations etc
Con's: can't think of one, except maybe takedown needing a tool

Can be anything from a reliable tool, to a great match pistol, to a work of art - whatever you dream it cen be.

The only con to a 1911 I see is if you're a limp wristed sissy.....

Actually, my 1911 is amazingly accurate. It is my favorite pistol but I cannot conceal it too well so its not a good carry gun for someone with a smaller frame. ( even though it looks badass on my hip at the range)

This![laugh]

You've met me a few times. Am I anything if not small framed?
Have you ever noticed my gov model?

ETA I love these threads!

Last edited:
I've been unable to limp-wrist my 1911 full size, despite trying.

Takedown is a little too complicated. I can clean my Sig blindfolded and one-handed. I need light and both hands for the 1911.

I've been unable to limp-wrist my 1911 full size, despite some really loose grips.

Takedown is a little too complicated. I can clean my Sig blindfolded and one-handed. I need light and both hands for the 1911.

I have not been able to limp wrist mine either actually.... and I agree about the complicated take down.

only if you're a wimp or have one of those crazy-ass full-length guide rods.[wink]

Full length guide = nice callus on left thumb.

I've been unable to limp-wrist my 1911 full size, despite trying.

Don't tell that to Pachino!

IMO
Pro's: great design, can be tinkered with - lots of variations etc
Con's: can't think of one, except maybe takedown needing a tool

Actually, as designed by The Great Prophet John Moses Browning (may his name be praised), NO tool is needed. The slide lock takes out the firing pin stop; the firing pin drives out the mainspring housing pin; the tip of the 3-finger (sear) spring removes the mag release.

I understand that Glocks feature a self-disassembly mode; with 1911's, the owner makes that determination.

Can be anything from a reliable tool, to a great match pistol, to a work of art - whatever you dream it can be.

True. It's like a '55-57 Chevy or '64-66 Mustang; if it's remotely possible, someone has already tried it. If it's remotely feasible, someone is selling parts to do it.

I lost one eye the first time I set the spring loose. Lost the other one the next time.

Other than that I love my 1911. My sig, and glock come apart real easy, but I bring the Kimber to the range. If I ever find one in mass I will grab a compact Kimber 1911 to carry.

S&W full size stainless and SA emp 9mm and looking for a S&W 1911 PD. There's just something about a 1911 that other guns can't give you. Sweet shooters. Accurate. A work of art. They just feel right in your hand. Lots of people work on them with plenty of parts and accessories available. Although a few carry a full size they are a bit hard to conceal. Some of the commander or officer size are better to carry and are still extremely accurate. SAO is what you get. Some swear by it others not. It's what I'm used to. Cocked locked and ready to rock! Don't really have anything negative.[smile]

I love my 1911s. I have not found another major caliber pistol that has as good a trigger -- short, crisp, and lots of gun plumbers can set it to the weight you want. The single-stack design has a short grip circumference, so it fits medium sized hands well. If you have small hands, then swap out the grip bushings, add thin grips, and you're good to go. If you've got big paws, have your gunsmith install a long trigger. With a bit of tuning, it can be a tack driver. A full-size, steel-framed 1911 is relatively heavy, so it doesn't have much felt recoil.

Downsides? Low capacity. Parts need to be handfit, and sometimes manufacturers don't tune them as well as they should. So it may be more finicky out of the box. And it is heavy compared to a plastic model that tries to look like a gun.

Last edited:
Great piece of hardware. Heavy, accurate, totally analog - meaning infinitely repairable and customizable - most of which you can do yourself. You can change grips, main spring housing, trigger all to fit your hands. You can change the weight at the muzzle/balance - comps, bull barrel, full length guide rods etc. Very safe, lots of external/internal safeties (80 series for example). Manageable recoil I think. Time tested design, brilliant sear/hammer interface - also highly customizable. Parts available all over the place. Tons of gun smiths out there work on these things.

Only con is factory 45 rounds can run expensive after a while and custom guns get pricey fast.

The clang of a 1911 in your hand is awesome though. Very accurate, very reliable and easy to fix/adjust if its not running right. You must have at least 1 in your collection.

There is no comparison.
The 1911 design is on a pedestal by it self.
A good basic 5" with a combat fit slide and frame with a smooth 4-5 # Trigger and you have a tool for life. 1 in the pipe 7-8 in the Mag what more is there?
If your looking for a good Local shop to build a nice entry 1911 for you contact John at REMSPORT they have the stuff to make you a great signature tool you will keep as your primary.

Mike Nastek

I have a S&W stainless with target sights and ambi-safety. Its not a carry gun because the target sites are sharp and grab everything. I am not thrilled with the ambi safety, it actually jams if I use it LH. I sent it back to S&W and they remounted the plunger spring but it still occasionally sticks. Despite that, I love the gun and I shoot it more than any other gun. Some people don't like the grip angle because they feel its unnatural. Most of these people are communists, glock humpers, or Dutch.
Its like a Fender Stratocaster or a small block chevy. Its one of those rare cases where the original got it right the first time and years of imitators and modifiers haven't been able to get it that much better.

I am a HUGE fan of the 1911, but after listening to 1 guy speak on why he prefers a Glock or other modern pistol over the 1911, it makes great sense to me.

The 1911 has about/around 81 seperate pieces, each one could be a potential failure point. A glock on the other hand has about/around 36 potential failure points.

My thoughts on it, I still LOVE my 1911 and will carry it about the house or range, but if I am out where I ive I carry my M&P9c.

I used to think my S&W 1911Sc was a great handgun.

Then I got a Colt.

'Nuff said.

ETA:

Not enough said, its the triggers on 1911's I like the most even right out of the box. The weight of the entire firearm, compared to any of the polymer framed wunderguns make the pistol much more controlable. The functioning is dead-nuts simple and the design is classic. I still have a S&W1911 with a full length guide rod while my Colt does not. Both function flawlwssly.

Last edited:
The 1911 according to John.

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.

Last edited:
I recently acquired an Auto-Ordinance 1911, stock. Springfield Armory also make a 1911 mil-spec. Both of these are probably the biggest bang for the buck at well south of a grand. I can attest to the AO model I own in that while it is mil-spec finish and unmolested, side by side accuracy with a Les Baer and Kimber with 230gr ball ammo it is as reliable and just as accurate. There was no discernible difference in group size by 3 different shooters incorporating some 100 plus years of experience between us. YMMV

It took way too long to acquire, but I'll never regret it.

Back
Top Bottom