1911 Opinions

I just received the March/April 2012 (is it that late in the year already?) of American Handgunner which happens to have an article "Beer Budget 1911s". An interesting discussion of the pros and cons of some of the lower-priced 1911s on the market.

Here's a link to the article.
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHMA12/?page=50

But let me explain a bit why I think the Ruger is a game changer.
I recently sold a Citadel 1911 to a guy. I purchased it from my wholesaler because it was made by Armscor, a low end 1911 maker with a solid reputation. (They also make Rock River Arms guns)
It is a nice, utilitarian 1911 with what would have been considered custom features 10 years ago: hi grip beavertail safety, lightened trigger, skeleton hammer, front cocking serrations, genuine Novak sights, and a bunch of items too small to remember.

But it was a nice gun, although you could tell they had cut some corners when you held it in your hand. Even still, reports from around the internet and my specific customer is that its a great, utilitarian 1911.

Now here is the game changer, the wholesale cost of the Ruger is $130 more. Except that when you pick up the Ruger its as nice as any factory made 1911 you will put your hands on. The finish of the gun is great. The fit of the parts are great, everything is great. (except the grips).

Don

This guy says that it's comatible but for the plunger tube:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/35780-sr1911-critique.html

Having been a 1911 fan for many years and having built, repaired, or modified a good many 1911s, my first concern was "Colt Series 70 Compatibility". The best way to determine compatibility was to strip down the Ruger and one of my Colts and see for myself if parts would interchange. I am very happy to report ... all Colt and Ruger parts are compatible, meaning I could swap parts from one platform to the other and everything still fit and worked. I think this is one of the most important issues when buying a 1911 clone because some day you may want to buy a "drop-in" part to change configurations. This should be a piece of cake with the SR1911.

There is one very minor exception and that is the "plunger tube". Colts and other clones have a plunger tube that is staked in place, much like rivets. Ruger's frame is cast and the plunger tube is cast with the frame. Although this is a slight departure from the 1911's origional design, I view it as an improvement. Plunger tubes in Colts and clones tend to work lose with use, requre restaking, and in many cases, replacement. The cast plunger tube should hold up forever.

+1 on the proprietary dove tail slots. Needing a "special" tool or a gunsmith to change out and try different sites is the only negative I have with my SW1911ss.

I think what he means is that with the E series, no aftermarket 1911 rear sights made by anyone will fit. The only after market rear sight that will fit is one made by 10-8 performance.

This guy says that it's comatible but for the plunger tube:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/35780-sr1911-critique.html
That guy wrote an outstanding review! Since I like to think of myself as a big, strong guy, I was kind of wondering why the slide on my SR1911 takes as much force as it does to operate. Well the recoil spring is 23% stronger than a Colt's and my forearm strength isn't what it once was!

I could change the spring, but I'll probably just get my lazy butt back in training instead.

Oh yeah, and the whole family still loves it!

Last edited:
Standard is 16#. Wolf will sell you one for about $5

One other thing re Ruger is that they have been making frames as an oem for other 1911 makers for 20+ years. So the fact that theirs is a standard A2 pattern 1911 is no surprise.

I don't mean to sound like a Ruger fanboy but Ruger has always been pushing the state of the art in manufacturing efficiency since the original Mk I. The last 10 years have seen the rise of the term Concurrent Engineering. It's the idea that manufacturing requirements are integral to the design process. Bill Ruger Sr. Was doing that in 1950.

Don
MCS Precision

In the interest of full disclosure, my dad used to be on the team that did the audited financial statements for Sturm, Ruger, and Co. And has been a friend of Bill Jr.'s since the 60s. He also did the cost accounting on the Ruger luxury car of the late 60s that never made it to production.

What do you mean by that? 1911 parts are, for the most part, not plug and play. They require fitting.

The need for fitting aside, can each 1911 part be fitted to a Ruger? Or is there some key part somewhere which is not the same as in Colts and their clones?

The need for fitting aside, can each 1911 part be fitted to a Ruger? Or is there some key part somewhere which is not the same as in Colts and their clones?

I don't see anything in the Ruger 1911 that is very unusual. I believe the sight dovetails are the Colt standard, so lots of aftermarket sights should fit. And looking at the Ruger SR1911, I don't think there is much I would change other than the sights.

Last edited:
This is all good news on the Ruger 1911. Haven't updated since I started the thread. I ended up deciding on the SR1911. I ordered it about a month and half ago.....maybe a little longer. It sounds like I made the right choice, and that it will be worth the wait. Cost was a huge deciding factor between Ruger and S&W. The sight dovetail was the straw on the camels back. I'm sure I will get an S&W down the road, but I think I found a good starting point.

I don't see anything in the Ruger 1911 that is very unusual. I believe the sight dovetails are the Colt standard, so lots of aftermarket sights should fit. And looking at the Ruger SR1911, I don't think there is much I would change other than the sights.
I agree. I liked what you pointed out about the rear Novak sight and plan to swap it out for one like yours.

What's the best way to keep the customization/tuning bug that seems to come with 1911s at bay? Just run out of money?

What's the best way to keep the customization/tuning bug that seems to come with 1911s at bay? Just run out of money?

Only change the things that annoy you the most, otherwise, just leave it alone. [laugh]

-Mike

I've been shooting actively for about 25 years and decided to give the 1911 a try about 3 years ago.

I don't like to shoot a bunch of guns because you never get good with any of htem. So this represented a commitment of sorts.
I knew enough to nail my selection of a range gun on my first try. My Les Baer Premier II is absolutely perfect.

My selection of a Baer Concept VIII was a mistake for a carry gun. Too heavy. I found myself leaving it home and taking the LCP. Flame all you want. But thats what was happening and I recognize my weaknesses and adjust.

I ended up with an Alloy framed Nighthawk with a Commander length slide (4.25") bobtail'd grip.
Its about half a pound lighter than the Baer and I like the full length grip. I carry it about 45% of the time, the bulk of the other time is with a Kahr P9.

In this pic you can see a size comparison between the 2 commander sized pistols and my Colt Officers ACP. (A future project gun)

DSC_5873.jpg

The other thing I've found is that I prefer only a tritium front sight on my carry guns. For me it aids in intuitive pointing in the dark without the distraction of the rear sights

I hope this helps.

Don

I've been shooting actively for about 25 years and decided to give the 1911 a try about 3 years ago.

I don't like to shoot a bunch of guns because you never get good with any of htem. So this represented a commitment of sorts.
I knew enough to nail my selection of a range gun on my first try. My Les Baer Premier II is absolutely perfect.

My selection of a Baer Concept VIII was a mistake for a carry gun. Too heavy. I found myself leaving it home and taking the LCP. Flame all you want. But thats what was happening and I recognize my weaknesses and adjust.

I ended up with an Alloy framed Nighthawk with a Commander length slide (4.25") bobtail'd grip.
Its about half a pound lighter than the Baer and I like the full length grip. I carry it about 45% of the time, the bulk of the other time is with a Kahr P9.

In this pic you can see a size comparison between the 2 commander sized pistols and my Colt Officers ACP. (A future project gun)

The other thing I've found is that I prefer only a tritium front sight on my carry guns. For me it aids in intuitive pointing in the dark without the distraction of the rear sights

I hope this helps.

Don
Terrific post and beautiful guns, Don... thanks

Thanks Mauser - I shot glocks in IDPA from 1998 on and while they ran flawlessly, I could never warm to a plastic gun. Its got nothing to do with the functionality of the gun. Glocks are as close to perfection as anything made by humans in my mind. (ZERO malfunctions in 30,000+ rounds fired when using factory ammo) Also, so cheap that you didn't even think of wear and tear.

But like a coldly competent German car, they didn't do anything for me.

That's what I've been doing with my existing 1911s.

M1911 - have you had any trouble with a burr forming on the tip of the pin? I remember a few years ago there was a problem with that on another brand of gun. I can't remember what. The burr formed then it started to pierce the primers. The problem was eventually traced to a specific characteristic of Ti and how it responds to repeated impacts.

Does CA do a drop test as part of their process? Just curious because the Les Baers are CA approved with a 70 style system.

It would be nice if someone could come up with a variation of the Schwartz (Grip safety activated firing pin block) that eliminated its weaknesses. (Gun can be rendered inoperable if assembled wrong with no indication until an attempt is made to fire and the requirement for some other proprietary parts)

Don

Last edited:
Thanks Mauser - I shot glocks in IDPA from 1998 on and while they ran flawlessly, I could never warm to a plastic gun. Its got nothing to do with the functionality of the gun. Glocks are as close to perfection as anything made by humans in my mind. (ZERO malfunctions in 30,000+ rounds fired when using factory ammo) Also, so cheap that you didn't even think of wear and tear.

But like a coldly competent German car, they didn't do anything for me.

M1911 - have you had any trouble with a burr forming on the tip of the pin? I remember a few years ago there was a problem with that on another brand of gun. I can't remember what. The burr formed then it started to pierce the primers. The problem was eventually traced to a specific characteristic of Ti and how it responds to repeated impacts.

Does CA do a drop test as part of their process? Just curious because the Les Baers are CA approved with a 70 style system.

It would be nice if someone could come up with a variation of the Schwartz (Grip safety activated firing pin block) that eliminated its weaknesses. (Gun can be rendered inoperable if assembled wrong with no indication until an attempt is made to fire and the requirement for some other proprietary parts)

Don
Totally agree with you about the feel of a 1911 vs. Glocks. My attachment to them is visceral, too.

I don't know about CA, but I understand that drop tests are part of the MA certification.

Back
Top Bottom