1911 Opinions

Here's my favorite Scandium alloy Smith... it's a model SW1911sc. I did change the grips to the cocobolo double diamond, for a better grip. I have to say, I enjoy shooting at the range, but it's not a range gun. I bought it to carry originally, but found I preferred my M&P40c for carry. Losing a $500 gun vs a $1000 gun also makes more sense. When I feel like shooting 45's, I like to take it to the range and bang out a box, usually with my M&P45. Ya can't go wrong with any of the S&W 1911's, they all seem to work great out of the box without having to modify anything. You can find really good deals in the $600 to $850 range for a little used S&W.. I bought 2 S&W 1911pd's, this past month, one a 4" and the other a 5" for $650 each in LN condition.

Attachments

• 1011sc.jpg
    1011sc.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 76
IMO buying an AL/Scandium framed gun for anything other than carry is just a dumb idea. If you shoot it at the range 99% and carry it 1%, a lightweight frame is just punishing you for no good reason.

-Mike

I agree. My range/ competitive/ hd gun is a 5" all steel Les Baer Premier II. It is the most accurate handgun I've ever fired. Amazing. But its too heavy for me to carry comfortably. So I go for an Al framed gun.

Definitely going to go with an all steel government model for my first. Manufacturer and finish still undecided. Any info on auto ordinance?

Any info on auto ordinance?

Buy the AO's made by Khar. They are great guns. The one I just sold to Hankster was the most accurate 1911 I owned. I only sold it because the divorce was getting expensive.

If it was made in West Hurley NY RUN AWAY!!!!!!! Junk.

Definitely going to go with an all steel government model for my first. Manufacturer and finish still undecided. Any info on auto ordinance?

Buy the AO's made by Khar. They are great guns. The one I just sold to Hankster was the most accurate 1911 I owned. I only sold it because the divorce was getting expensive.

If it was made in West Hurley NY RUN AWAY!!!!!!! Junk.

I've sold the S&W, Remington & AO 1911's and every customer is very happy with them. All three are good firearms and shoot well with no problems reported. I have a TALO edition of the R1 here and a AO due in next week. The S&W's are the more expensive of the three with the basic R1 and AO versions around $590ish in price and the Smith's usually $800-1000. I did see a Colt commander in the member classifieds last week.

Any info on auto ordinance?

I love my AO. Fantastic gun for the money. Don't be put off by all the bad press out there. It is extremely accurate. I have never had any issues with it.

If you want a GI 1911, you'll love it... otherwise probably not so much. You should hold one and see if you like the sights and the finish... they aren't for everyone.

The KAHR made AOs are great guns. ONLY THE KAHR MADE GUNS!!!!!!!

But it only comes in a GI style. If you want something with an ambi safety, big sights, commander style hammer, then it's not for you.

It is however the least expensive American made 1911 on the market.

I like the retro look of the AO gun. I'd own something like that in a minute as a range gun. But being left handed it would not be something I'd use defensively in any way. At least not until I put an Ed brown ambi safety on it.

Don

I think the S&W E-series are the best value in new 1911s. The absolutely only thing wrong with them is the @#&* proprietary sight cuts.

With my eyes, GI sights are useless.

I have a similar problem, the good news is that high profile fixed sights can easily be installed. The old US Army FM for pistol shooting, recommended looking "over" the sights at short range, in effect advocating point shooting at ranges of five yards or less.

I think the S&W E-series are the best value in new 1911s. The absolutely only thing wrong with them is the @#&* proprietary sight cuts.

+1 on the proprietary dove tail slots. Needing a "special" tool or a gunsmith to change out and try different sites is the only negative I have with my SW1911ss.

I have not seen to many in the past few years but Norinco put out some 1911s which seemed to get the job done. My Dad had one for a really long time I cant remember it ever having a problem. My Dad was stoked when he sold it for 175.00 ,ways back

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a custom nori co he goT from his dad. They had a reputation as having been made out of excellent steel, so they were popular as a starting point for race guns.

My friends runs like a top and has been fitted with an ambi safety, beavertail grip safety, commander hammer, etc. As a shooter it would be a deal if the price was right.

Yep.

I sometimes wonder why Kahr even uses the Auto Ordinance name. Kahr has an excellent reputation for making quality guns. AO has a TERRIBLE reputation from back before Kahr purchased them.

The Kahr made stuff is quality. But I can't help but think there are people who don't know about this and refuse to even look at anything that says Auto Ordinance on it.

Don

p.s. for the youngins here, the old AO made terrible 1911s. Its like they bought piles of surplus Govt 1911 parts and assembled them with no fitting. Then they reparkerized them and put them up for sale.

Anyone know? I would think its find since its still an R1.

I don't know for sure, but while picking up my new SW1911PD\5" scandium frame at my LGS, I was looking at a brandy new SW1911 5"SS with the adj. rear site for $950, next to a new Rem 1911 5" model for I believe $685.00. Anyone looking for either model , they can be had at Guns and Gun Parts in W. Spfld.

The thing with Ma compliant guns, if one model is different from the next, the whole process is different. 5 more guns, more money and more bs... Why do you think the M&P45c isn't sold in Ma... In fact half of the M&P line of guns are not legal here... they are all M&P's..

Attachments

• 25B97232-1408693.jpg
    25B97232-1408693.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 38

There was a dealer at the Marlboro gun show who wouldn't even let Atilla LOOK at a pair of chromed RIA 1911's, because the chrome version wasn't on the EOPS roster (but the blued version is).

So, while you would think it's fine, because it's essentially the same gun, they have different SKU's, so it's not necessarily true.

Yep.

I sometimes wonder why Kahr even uses the Auto Ordinance name. Kahr has an excellent reputation for making quality guns. AO has a TERRIBLE reputation from back before Kahr purchased them.

The Kahr made stuff is quality. But I can't help but think there are people who don't know about this and refuse to even look at anything that says Auto Ordinance on it.

Don

p.s. for the youngins here, the old AO made terrible 1911s. Its like they bought piles of surplus Govt 1911 parts and assembled them with no fitting. Then they reparkerized them and put them up for sale.

I agree that the Auto Ordnance Co of West Hurley, NY was a POS. However the name is quite historic and goes back to John B. Thompson. I think that Kahr is trying to capitalize on the history.

I think the base model is "allowed", but more often than not it's "whatever the distributors tell the dealer is OK" and not what is actually OK. (and this hinges on ones legal interpretations) That's why there are some dealers who sell RIAs in MA and there are many others that go "not compliant blah blah blah!".

A better bet is to stop worrying about whether or not something is compliant and just make some phone calls/start looking. If you want something badly enough, you can get it, and at a fair price.

-Mike

I think the base model is "allowed", but more often than not it's "whatever the distributors tell the dealer is OK" and not what is actually OK. (and this hinges on ones legal interpretations) That's why there are some dealers who sell RIAs in MA and there are many others that go "not compliant blah blah blah!".

A better bet is to stop worrying about whether or not something is compliant and just make some phone calls/start looking. If you want something badly enough, you can get it, and at a fair price.

-Mike

I couldn't agree more. People need to stop acting like they need to constantly prove their innocence. I hear these discussions about MA law and it disgusts me. The law is vague. If its vague, then, within reason, give yourself the benefit of the doubt.

Is this really true? I mean, I hope it is, but I'm wondering if my hope of finding a Dan Wesson 1911 here in MA is a waste of time. I'll be actively looking and all, just trying to figure out how long I can hold my breath waiting for it.

Is this really true? I mean, I hope it is, but I'm wondering if my hope of finding a Dan Wesson 1911 here in MA is a waste of time. I'll be actively looking and all, just trying to figure out how long I can hold my breath waiting for it.

That will take a very long time. In the meantime, you can get a Ruger 1911 that is probably just as good, if not better, and take it to a gunsmith and have it customized as you wish.

DWs are hard to find in general, not just in MA. Even if I lived in NH I would have to get one off gunbroker just to get it. None of the dealers have them. (Although I think Riley's used to have a couple).

If you are stuck in MA the best value going is the Ruger SR1911. If you want something that's a good deal for the money, get one of those and save the leftover cash for mods to it.

ETA: M1911 beat me to it. [laugh]

-Mike

I agree that the Auto Ordnance Co of West Hurley, NY was a POS. However the name is quite historic and goes back to John B. Thompson. I think that Kahr is trying to capitalize on the history.

This.

pretty sure Kahr manufactures a semi version of Thompson subs for retail.

Back
Top Bottom