1911 Opinions

That will take a very long time. In the meantime, you can get a Ruger 1911 that is probably just as good, if not better, and take it to a gunsmith and have it customized as you wish.

DWs are hard to find in general, not just in MA. Even if I lived in NH I would have to get one off gunbroker just to get it. None of the dealers have them. (Although I think Riley's used to have a couple).

If you are stuck in MA the best value going is the Ruger SR1911. If you want something that's a good deal for the money, get one of those and save the leftover cash for mods to it.

ETA: M1911 beat me to it. [laugh]

-Mike

Thanks. I'm going to keep hunting around then, for something. Any other suggestions for a top quality (or at least top quality under $1500) 1911 that I might have better luck running into here in MA? I know that some of the Colt/SA/SW offerings are solid, I'm just not 100% up to speed on what's what. I guess I'm just going to have try to keep looking and running what I do actually find against the internet reviews.

I just bought my first 1911 and its a Sig 1911 stainless target. About 150 rounds and no issues. I did see that some of the earlier models had issues, but I believe they have ironed out most of them. It ran about $850. I do like the gun.

Thanks. I'm going to keep hunting around then, for something. Any other suggestions for a top quality (or at least top quality under $1500) 1911 that I might have better luck running into here in MA? I know that some of the Colt/SA/SW offerings are solid, I'm just not 100% up to speed on what's what. I guess I'm just going to have try to keep looking and running what I do actually find against the internet reviews.

These are my opinions. I'm not a gunsmith nor am I any kind of 1911 expert. I have been shooting 1911s for a while. Some of these guns I own, some I've fired, some I've handled, and some I've just read about. So take my comments with the appropriate grains of salt.

Production guns

S&W E-Series

I think the S&W E-Series looks pretty solid. The E-series is a Series 70 style gun (no firing pin safety). I don't care for the aesthetics of the scalloped slide serrations, but that is a matter of taste. I also wish S&W would stop using their own sight cut. I don't care for the external extractor, but then I'm a traditionalist. The external extractor requires less tuning, so I can understand why they went with it.

I would take the E-series over the previous S&W 1911s as I'm not a fan of the Swartz style firing pin safety.

The E-series is available new in MA. I've fired the previous version of the S&W and the ones that I handled were solid. I have not fired or handled the E-series.

Kimber

I've got several Kimber Series Is that have worked well for me. The Kimber Series I is a series-70 style gun (no firing pin safety). I wouldn't take a Series II if you gave it to me. The Series II has an external extractor and a Swartz style firing pin safety, but they seem to have had more problems getting them right than S&W. Kimber reportedly went through 3 different external extractor designs and last I heard had returned to an internal extractor.

Kimbers are not available new in MA. You can find some used ones at a significant premium. Having looked at the Ruger 1911, I absolutely would not pay a premium for a used Kimber when I could get a new SR1911. I've owned and carried 3 Kimber Series Is for many years. I have not handled or fired a Series II.

Springfield Armory

The base Springfield Armory has been a typical suggestion as a base for making a custom gun. SA are series 70 style guns (no firing pin safety). They are generally solid. One thing I don't like about them are the square front strap profile (drgrant disagrees with me on this, he prefers the square profile). One thing to look out for is that the lower end SAs come with a two-piece barrel. I simply did not get acceptable accuracy out of that two-piece barrel and had to have it replaced, at significant cost.

A friend of mine had a SA that he sent to their custom shop for significant custom work. It looked very nice. But when I pushed down on the barrel hood, there was significant movement. Shot side by side with my basically stock Kimber, that Springer was noticeably less accurate.

New Springfields are not available in MA. You can find some used ones. I would buy a Ruger 1911 before paying a premium for a used SA. I own a Springfield Armory and have shot another one.

ParaOrdnance

ParaOrdnance are Series 80 style guns. They have a firing pin block that is activated by pulling the trigger. Of the various firing pin safeties, the Series 80 is perhaps the most reliable, but it can have some affect on the trigger feel. ParaOrdnance offers both single and double stack models. They do not have a good reputation.

PO are available new in MA. I recommend against them. I own an early PO 14-45 and it has been very problematic.

Colt

Colts are, of course, the original. You can find used Series 70 and Series 80 Colts. Most of the used Colts that I've seen are older style. That is, they don't have a beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, and newer sights. They are very solid guns, but I prefer the beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, and larger sights. By the time I have a gunsmith add those, I've put several hundred dollars more into the gun.

New Colts are not available in MA, but used Colts can be found. You will pay some premium for the name. Given that you can get all the new features described above on a new Ruger 1911 out of the box, I'd take that over a Colt. I own a Colt Delta Elite.

Dan Wesson

I don't have any experience with Dan Wessons. They are pretty rare. As near as I can tell, they are just another production 1911. I don't think they are the equal of the semi-custom 1911s.

Sig

The Sig GSR is a Series 80 style gun, with a unique slide profile. That slide profile makes it look more like the P-series Sigs. The downside is that it won't fit into many 1911 Kydex holsters as a result. Sig had significant start-up problems with the GSR, with early models being problematic. Sig is having significant quality issues with their P-series guns at the moment.

I don't know whether the Sig GSR is available new in MA. I would not buy one. I have not fired or handled a Sig GSR.

Ruger

Ruger is new to 1911s. The SR1911 is a series 70 style gun. It has the now-standard enhancements - beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, etc. The one that I handled had very good barrel lockup, with no movement at all when I pressed down on the barrel hood. The slide to frame fitting at the rear of the slide looked very nice. I didn't care for the Novak sights, but those are easily changed and sights are very much a personal taste. The trigger feel felt good if a bit heavy. Overall, I was very impressed.

Ruger SR1911s are available new in MA. I have handled one, but not shot one (yet). I think they look great, and pending actually shooting one, they are now my default recommendation.

-----------------

Semi-Custom

All of the semi-custom 1911s are not available new in MA and are very hard to find used. All are Series 70 style guns.

Wilson Combat

These are a definite cut above the production guns. They have many different models. They have a solid reputation and if you ever have any issue with one, Wilson will set it right. I found a used Wilson at Collectors in Stoneham several years ago. It was stupidly expensive for a well used gun. It is the best 1911 that I own.

Ed Brown

They have a good reputation. I've never seen or handled one.

Les Baer
They have a mixed reputation. I've never seen or handled one.

-----------------------
ETA:

STI Spartan

I had a chance to look at eisenhow's 9mm STI Spartan. This was a really nice looking gun, and a heck of a bargain for the price. The barrel lock up was good, the rear slide to frame fit was as good as I've seen, and the trigger was good as well. It also had a very nice, target-style rear sight.

And, after bragging about my Wilson above, it crapped on me on a stage today [crying]. Hopefully it is just my reloads -- I'll need to check my OAL again.

------------------
ETA Again: My Wilson is back working again after replacing the slide stop. I had a chance to shoot a Ruger SR1911 and was impressed.

------------------

There are lots of other production and custom 1911 manufacturers out there. Some good, some probably not so good.

Now, with all of that bloviating done, what do I recommend for someone new to 1911s? Don't waste months searching for a needle in a haystack stupidly expensive semi-custom gun. Get yourself Ruger SR1911 or, second choice, S&W E-series. Shoot it for a while. Decide what you like in terms of sights (or other customizations) on that gun. Otherwise, you are likely to spend a stupid amount of money on something that you might not end up caring for. Don't go out and spend $1500 on your first 1911 -- that would just be pointless.

Last edited:
Awesome post M1911. If you add a paragraph specific to the Ruger, you should save a copy and paste it in to every 1911 thread.

M1911 what are your thoughts on the STI Spartan or some of the other budget 1911's built on Philippino frame/slides? My STI Spartan in 9mm is my first and only (so far) 1911. I've been happy with it so far (besides the feeding of HP & non RN, but I knew that ahead of time) but I don't have anything to compare to.

Collectors has a couple of options if their inventory list is up to date:

MKIV Series 70 government Model in nickel, a Kimber Classic Custom Target (not sure if I or II), and a SW Performance Center that ominously doesn't have a price listed. I think I may need to take a spin up there this afternoon.

M1911 what are your thoughts on the STI Spartan or some of the other budget 1911's built on Philippino frame/slides? My STI Spartan in 9mm is my first and only (so far) 1911. I've been happy with it so far (besides the feeding of HP & non RN, but I knew that ahead of time) but I don't have anything to compare to.
I just don't have any experience with them. In the past, it was my impression that budget 1911s usually came with issues.

You left out a little-known but growing number of 45 models from ATI. Several of us in our local crowd bought their Commander-sized model and it seems to be fairly well made, especially for the money.

http://www.americantactical.us/

I am not shooting enough any more to put mine to an extended test but so far it seems pretty good.

You left out a little-known but growing number of 45 models from ATI.
There are many, many manufacturers that I've left out, as I simply have no opinion about them. I've never heard of ATI before -- doesn't mean it isn't good, I just haven't run into them before now.

I've never heard of ATI before -- doesn't mean it isn't good, I just haven't run into them before now.

If you're shooting at Worcester tomorrow find me and take a look at it at the safe table.

I may be.

I hope you are able to take eisenhow up on his kind offer. I'd like to hear your opinion after you handle and (hopefully) fire one, even if it is based on just one experience.

The Dan Wesson below is in stock at my Wholesalers.

As far as a $1400 1911 my favorite is Les Baer. Contrary to what someone posted, their rep is excellent. My Baer shoots as well or better than wilsons and Nighthawks I've owned.

The Baer is a shooter, it's not as nicely finished as a Dan Wesson. The wessons are a very nice gun.

The DW I referenced above should be able to be purchased for $1200ish

Don

D WES RZ-45 HERITAGE 45ACP 5" STS FS
RSR Item #: DW01981FC
Availability: 24 Units
Email your service professional about this product

As far as a $1400 1911 my favorite is Les Baer. Contrary to what someone posted, their rep is excellent.

If I recall correctly, Rob Boudrie here has had experience with a Les Baer that was improperly heat treated and that Les Baer did not stand behind. I have read other stories about bad customer service experiences with Les Baer.

So I stand by my statement that they have a mixed reputation.

The Dan Wesson below is in stock at my Wholesalers.

As far as a $1400 1911 my favorite is Les Baer. Contrary to what someone posted, their rep is excellent. My Baer shoots as well or better than wilsons and Nighthawks I've owned.

The Baer is a shooter, it's not as nicely finished as a Dan Wesson. The wessons are a very nice gun.

The DW I referenced above should be able to be purchased for $1200ish

Don

D WES RZ-45 HERITAGE 45ACP 5" STS FS
RSR Item #: DW01981FC
Availability: 24 Units
Email your service professional about this product

Now you're just teasing me. [smile]

How do these post ban, off-list handguns get into MA in the first place? Is it solely through LEOs? Or should I not ask such questions?

How do these post ban, off-list handguns get into MA in the first place? Is it solely through LEOs? Or should I not ask such questions?

It's not really a "ban" it's just the AG regs. LEOs are a source, but so are people that move into the state with handguns, and also, of course, FFLs that don't care what the AG regs say.

Has anyone ever actually been prosecuted (FFL or Buyer) for bringing in a new off-list firearm??

It's not illegal for the buyer, so that's never been an issue.

Some FFLs have been threatened with fines and some have stood up to the AG and the AG has no showed in court.

I have a similar problem, the good news is that high profile fixed sights can easily be installed. The old US Army FM for pistol shooting, recommended looking "over" the sights at short range, in effect advocating point shooting at ranges of five yards or less.

That's what lasers are for.

Sent via tapatalk on the Yugo of droids.

It's not illegal for the buyer, so that's never been an issue.

Some FFLs have been threatened with fines and some have stood up to the AG and the AG has no showed in court.

He probably has not showed because if he loses, he will be making case law , and doesn't want to do that.

So it sounds like you folks are ripe for rebellion.

One other thing. I have owned a number of high end 1911s over the years and have come to really appreciate Les Baer for their fantastic shooting qualities. you can buy a better looking 1911, but you can't buy one, for any money that shoots better.

In this era of $1600 Kimbers, the Les Baer is a phenomenal value at around 1500 for several of his models.

At the other end of the cost spectrum, I recently had a chance to shoot a Ruger SR1911. Wow, what a game changer.
Other than the grips, with their horrible pressed in checkering, there's no indication that this gun will sell for about $635 once Ruger catches up with demand.

Don

p.s. I also wish the Ruger came with an Ambi safety, but's just personal self interest since I'm left handed. Either way, a decent ambi safety is $50. I'm fond of the Kimber because it doesn't require the right grip panel to hold it in place. Its so good Nighthawk OEMs them from Kimber.

p.p.s. Its interesting to me that Ruger now uses the crappy pressed in checkering on their SR1911 and their 22/45. Ruger was the first gun maker to come up with a way to do nice looking machine cut checkering. I have an old 10/22 from 1968 and the checkering looks and feels like it was done by a skilled stock maker, except it wasn't.

Last edited:
I picked up this at MFL in Manchester a year ago. It was a remanufactured Sig at literally half the price of a new one. (not much more than a rock island) . It came with a one year warranty. It is such a great gun, I am a better shooter with it (no kidding) . 500+ rounds through it, never a jam. No problems. I have numerous guns, this one is by far one of my favorites.

IMG_3325.jpg

I picked up this at MFL in Manchester a year ago. It was a remanufactured Sig at literally half the price of a new one. (not much more than a rock island) . It came with a one year warranty. It is such a great gun, I am a better shooter with it (no kidding) . 500+ rounds through it, never a jam. No problems. I have numerous guns, this one is by far one of my favorites.

IMG_3325.jpg

Give you what you paid for it[smile]

Back
Top Bottom