1903A3

I am looking to find a 1903A3 non-sportized in good condition for 500 dollars, does this price exist for this rifle?

It does, but there will likely be something will be wrong with it, such as being a previously welded drill rifle.

There was a guy selling a nice A3 in the classifieds listed for $600 with a chamfered short barrel. If it didn't have weld marks on it, I would have grabbed it as it would have made a great shooter. But the weld marks would have decreased the rifle's ability to appreciate, and I'd rather drop another $100-150 to get a rifle that will appreciate appropriately.

ETD: Here's the listing, at $525: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...1612-wts-remington-03a3-trade-price-drop.html

Last edited:
It does, but there will likely be something will be wrong with it, such as being a previously welded drill rifle.

There was a guy selling a nice A3 in the classifieds listed for $600 with a chamfered short barrel. If it didn't have weld marks on it, I would have grabbed it as it would have made a great shooter. But the weld marks would have decreased the rifle's ability to appreciate, and I'd rather drop another $100-150 to get a rifle that will appreciate appropriately.

ETD: Here's the listing, at $525: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...1612-wts-remington-03a3-trade-price-drop.html

It's sold, I've been trying to contact the seller for a week or more. I tried to find out how it was possible that it reached him with a short chamber; I assumed it was just re-barreled with a milsurp barrel after it left military service. I would have been really pissed to learn that it was a re-activated drill rifle after I bought it.

d I'd rather drop another $100-150 to get a rifle that will appreciate appropriately.

+1 to this. Save the extra cash. I waited almost 2 years before I picked up a good one at a show. However, that was last February before all the full on crazy show mess. Pay extra and you will be pleased and have a nice shooter for life.

It's sold, I've been trying to contact the seller for a week or more. I tried to find out how it was possible that it reached him with a short chamber; I assumed it was just re-barreled with a milsurp barrel after it left military service. I would have been really pissed to learn that it was a re-activated drill rifle after I bought it.

If you look at the pics, you can see weld marks by the mag cut off, which is how you deactivate a M1903.

The seller confirmed this when I asked. The gun is probably an amazing shooter, but the proper appreciation rate and value is forever altered, as evidenced by the fact it's been for sale for so long. High $400's would be a good price; low $500's maybe on this one since its a short barrel.

If it hadn't been welded, it would have been a great buy when the seller had it listed for $650.

Last edited:
I suppose that the definition of non-sportered should be determined. I understand you don't want cut stocks or drilled/chopped actions. But would you accept a mix-master? Parts rebuild? Home refinishing?

If it is acceptable to purchase a gun with non-arsenal bluing/parkerization, and/or heavily sanded and refinished stock, you may find one for around $500. But if the gun is anywhere near correct, and has original finish, then step up to $750 minimum.

I usually think of sporterizing as essentially any permanent alteration for use as a hunting gun-- drill and tap, or a refinish would apply.

Even a refinish will set the gun back like welding will.

Last edited:
If you look at the pics, you can see weld marks by the mag cut off, which is how you deactivate a M1903.

The seller confirmed this when I asked. The gun is probably an amazing shooter, but the proper appreciation rate and value is forever altered, as evidenced by the fact it's been for sale for so long. High $400's would be a good price; low $500's maybe on this one since its a short barrel.

If it hadn't been welded, it would have been a great buy when the seller had it listed for $650.

Now that I know what too look for, yeah, it's obvious. But I would not have listed if for sale myself without stating what it was.

Hunters in weumouth has/had a few 1903s and a3s on the shelf a few weeks ago. I did not inspect them closely but they where in nice shape. Looked reparked but where essentially as they should be with no alterations. The price where from 500s+
I scored a sported that was done in such a way as it could be returned . The privios owners father competed with it in the 60s and made it a deer slayer in the 80s. Son tried tacticool in the 90s with finer glass stock and a no drill scope mount. He didn't succeed. It has been reblued( nicely done) his dad retained all the parts includeing the stock. It was also drilled for a Lyman peep sight. Which I may add at some point. I paid 375.00! Sold the fiberglass stock and crappy scope and mount. Only time I get deals is ask everyone I come across if they have crappy old guns kicking around.

Back
Top Bottom