17-year-old arrested in killing of 2 people in Kenosha

A couple things.

I noticed a lot of people are mixing up terminology and legal procedures.

A Mistrial and a dismissal are not the same thing. A mistrial is like the trial never happened. The term prejudice, as it relates to a mistrial, would be as follows:

Mistrial with prejudice to the defendant. This means the state did something they weren’t allowed to that hurts the defendant as such that the jury can no longer be expected to judge the case without such prejudice against him.

Mistrial with prejudice to the state is the same thing in reverse.

In either case, apart from possible legal sanctions for the attorneys responsible, which is wholly separate from these criminal proceedings, the case is retried (assuming the DA still wishes to do so).

A dismissal with prejudice is the equivalent to a not guilty verdict. The charges cannot be refiled. The case cannot be reheard.

A dismissal without prejudice means, with certain circumstances met, means charges can be filed again.

So some Chicago gang banger can stand up and say,

May it please the Court,​
I voluntarily dismiss my first degree murder trial,​
with prejudice.​

Free legal advice about Illinois civil procedure
is a poor basis for Intarweb sea lawyering about
Wisconsin criminal procedure.

An opinion:

Lots of people are saying the defense isn’t objecting enough. A couple things with that.

1. As people have noted, don’t interrupt you opposition when he’s making a mistake.

2. Constantly objecting, even when correct, can have the opposite effect on a jury. It can make you seem petty and hurt your case.

3. The judge had already warned the ADA, so if he really crosses the line again, or looks like he may, let him! It’s much better for the judge to be laying the smack down, for the juries perception if it gets that far, or for a potential dismissal.

Last edited:
Free legal advice about Illinois civil procedure
is a poor basis for Intarweb sea lawyering about
Wisconsin criminal procedure.
And my snark is a poor substitute for constructive explanation in this thread,
quite possibly including @Bonesinium's above post
(I know too little to evaluate its korectness but it seems to have the truthiness).

But with rare exceptions (at least including private prosecution),
some Legal Aid article that talks about a (private) person
backing out of "their case" is probably talking about a lawsuit -
not a criminal trial.

ETA:
Some 1970's TV show character threatening "I'm going to press charges"
ranks right up there with Bugs Bunny threatening to appeal to the highest court in the land.

A log rhythm.
It's got a beat, you can dance to it.

A couple things.

I noticed a lot of people are mixing up terminology and legal procedures.

A Mistrial and a dismissal are not the same thing. A mistrial is like the trial never happened. The term prejudice, as it relates to a mistrial, would be as follows:

Mistrial with prejudice to the defendant. This means the state did something they weren’t allowed to that hurts the defendant as such that the jury can no longer be expected to judge the case without such prejudice against him.

Mistrial with prejudice to the state is the same thing in reverse.

In either case, apart from possible legal sanctions for the attorneys responsible, which is wholly separate from these criminal proceedings, the case is retried (assuming the DA still wishes to do so).

A dismissal with prejudice is the equivalent to a not guilty verdict. The charges cannot be refiled. The case cannot be reheard.

A dismissal without prejudice means, with certain circumstances met, means charges can be filed again.
This is not correct. If the state causes a mistrial they cannot try the defendant again if they did so intentionally or in violation of the defendant's rights. This is because jeopardy has attached. The DA can not cause a mistrial if things are going bad to get a fresh try.

It redraws the image with information that is not contained within the image file!
Of course it does. The physical screen has a fixed size of pixels. If the image takes up the size of screen, then zooming expands the pixels of the image by extrapolating and adding pixels to the image to "zoom" in. It's not like the image is a physical piece of paper that you're zooming in on.

24 megapixel image contains a finite number of pixels. Enhancing the image results in inserting a larger number of pixels into the enhanced area that did not get captured by the camera in the file. These new pixels are a guesstimate of what would be there, but that guess is not reliable.

Back
Top Bottom