Zero Hour in the news

Since it wasn't actually an NFA item, I guess the federal pound-me-in-the-ass penalties don't apply...

Depends... the ATF has some pretty vague determinations/rulings regarding silencers...

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/nfa/041708silencer_faqs.htm

If the pilfered item was an actual registered tube with all the markings, then the ATF can consider it a silencer (even though the internals are missing).

Probably along the same idea how they ruled that a full auto sear is a machinegun.

Years ago it was common for different vendors at gun shows to sell differnt silencer parts. A buyer could go to one table and buy the tube, then another table to buy the baffles and it was legal... that was until the ATF wised up to it.

Pilgrim said:

The guy got caught this morning!!!!

Seriously? Did you hear any details from the ZHA people as to how exactly he got caught?

I know they got his image plastered on the Easton PD website and all, but it still seems like a pretty long shot, provided he didn't go and do something stupid somewhere else, which is always a possibility.

Depends... the ATF has some pretty vague determinations/rulings regarding silencers...

They've had pretty expansionist rulings WRT supressors, etc. Most of those, however, are used to coerce/threaten people into not selling/manufacturing things which "could possibly be used" as a can. Someone told me years ago that a company was trying to make a thread adapter for rifles that allowed you to screw on plastic soda bottles. Apparently it lasted all of 10 seconds and the ATF told them "you can't do that".

Whether or not a conviction attempt based on a non-functioning can would stand up in court is another story. I have a feeling that if the local USA/AUSA is a smart guy, that they wouldn't bother trying to convict him, unless the thing is (somehow) a controlled item and they can bang him on the "stealing a "firearm" from an FFL" charge, which, IIRC, is the usual 10 year/250K max felony charge.

Regardless of what happens in that regard, it's still grand theft, and the POS should do time for it.

-Mike

I know they got his image plastered on the Easton PD website and all, but it still seems like a pretty long shot, provided he didn't go and do something stupid somewhere else, which is always a possibility.

The guy's picture was on the news as well as on a bunch of news sites. I'm sure someone saw the pic and said "hey I know that guy, he's a piece of shit" and called up the cops.

-Mike

no detail on how he got caught yet we just found out this morning. \\

nice to meet you today pilgrim

As I told Marc the other day when I saw the picture . . . I've seen that guy before but couldn't place where. More reflection and I think that I've seen him at ZHA when I was there another time (probably Not when he stole it). Perhaps he was stupid enough to return or visit another gun shop and got made?

OK update: The part in question was a demo can without internals and not machined inside, we would never keep a real can sitting on the counter for this to happen.
However, it was fully marked as a real can and the manufacturer was kind enough to provide us with one of thier prototypes like they use at the shot show etc. so that we can have one on display and on a rifle for demo purposes such as length etc...

As most of our customers know, we sell supressors to police departments.
So this was a gift of sorts from the manufacturer for selling so many for legit purposes ex:police depts. and not just to other 07 FFL's and it helped them out with the processing of the transfer forms because some bright bulb at ATF decided because cans were not legal here she was going to start her own crusade and deny all MA applications.

Now, the guy who stole it is on camera from at least 3 angles and we can see the whole thing in real time as it happened, all I can say is the guy is like Criss Angell with his fast hands because it happened so quickly.
We gave the PD a copy of it and THEY put it on TV, I guess they got a lead and caught the guy today, I was at the shoot so I dont know much more than it was in Tewksbury, you know, where all the criminals hang out.[wink]

MOST IMPORTANT: Yes, that was salad in a gun shop, Itialian dressing and we eat right on the counters. The shame of it all ![rofl]

OK update...

glad to hear they caught him. have you heard if there will be any firearms prosecution against him or the standard MA scumbag revolving door? ( obv your "official" opinion/knowledge doesn't need to include the words "scumbag" or "revolving door")

Greak news Mark. Glad the POS got caught. Speaking of stealing, thieving POS's, did anything ever come of that break-in you guys had a while back?

Yes, they were caught in different places, they got 90% of the 9 guns that were taken back off the streets and are prosecuting the underpriviledged poor soul who was brought up having to watch his mom and sister turn tricks for dollars to buy crack on the mean streets of Brockton.

they got 90% of the 9 guns that were taken back off the streets
Did they return them to you, or are they keeping them for evidence? A friend had a 191 recovered by the NYPD and was told it had to be kept until the trial, and all possible appeals. had been exhausted. The miscreant got a case of lead poisoning (of the high velocity, hot, variety) while out on bail so he was able to get his 1911 back a couple of years after it was liberated from his condo.

I have mixed feelings. Don't get me wrong; obviously, the guy is a dirt bag and a disgrace. It isn't likely to have been his first time either, based on the Chris Angel description.

On the other hand, 10+ years just seems out of proportion with stealing a marketing prop. But then again, on spec, he did it and he can be charged and after all, I'm sure he THOUGHT it was real.

ATF considers any part of a suppressor to be a suppressor. They can nail him with this. Jack.

If it was a suppressor that was missing pieces, yes. But it sounds like it was never a suppressor in the first place, not even being machined to accept baffles.

The real question is, was this transfered to ZHA, or just given to them? Cause if you can be charged with possession of a suppressor, then it should have been on a form 4 IIRC.

Looks like the guy turned himself in.

Mass Most Wanted
Theft, September 18, 2008
Suspect 4769
Larceny (Silencer) - Easton - 9/18/08
Theft
September 18, 2008
Easton : Gun Store

Case Details:
Subject entered local gun store and stole a suppressor unit / silencer for a Kalashnikov AK assault series rifle (i.e. AK-47). Suppressor unit is black in color, approximately 6 inches in length and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The unit is a demo model and is reportedly non-functional as a silencer. The unit is valued at $1,000.

The unit was reported stolen by employees of Zero Hours Arms of Easton. After receiving video surveillance unit it was determined the unit was taken at 2:44 p.m. on 09/18/08. The item was located on the counter just behind the computer monitor. In complete video subject is seen taking the unit and putting it into his pocket

RE: 080604 Easton Police Department Supressor / Silencer theft 09/18/08 Captured / Arrested 10/3/08 Subject turned himself in at EPD as a result of MMW and tv reports. Joseph Veno Tewksbury, Ma

If you have any information about the identity of this person or where they are, please contact:

Easton Police Department: (508) 230-3322 x 125
Investigator: Det. Sgt. Jack Lynn
Case Submission No.: 20080604

Mass Most Wanted is sponsored by the Mass Bankers Association and
maintained by the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council to identify unkown criminal suspects.

Copyright © 2008 Mass Most Wanted : All rights reserved.

Looks like the guy turned himself in.

Mass Most Wanted
Theft, September 18, 2008
Suspect 4769
Larceny (Silencer) - Easton - 9/18/08
Theft
September 18, 2008
Easton : Gun Store

Case Details:
Subject entered local gun store and stole a suppressor unit / silencer for a Kalashnikov AK assault series rifle (i.e. AK-47). Suppressor unit is black in color, approximately 6 inches in length and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The unit is a demo model and is reportedly non-functional as a silencer. The unit is valued at $1,000.

The unit was reported stolen by employees of Zero Hours Arms of Easton. After receiving video surveillance unit it was determined the unit was taken at 2:44 p.m. on 09/18/08. The item was located on the counter just behind the computer monitor. In complete video subject is seen taking the unit and putting it into his pocket

RE: 080604 Easton Police Department Supressor / Silencer theft 09/18/08 Captured / Arrested 10/3/08 Subject turned himself in at EPD as a result of MMW and tv reports. Joseph Veno Tewksbury, Ma

If you have any information about the identity of this person or where they are, please contact:

Easton Police Department: (508) 230-3322 x 125
Investigator: Det. Sgt. Jack Lynn
Case Submission No.: 20080604

Mass Most Wanted is sponsored by the Mass Bankers Association and
maintained by the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council to identify unkown criminal suspects.

Copyright © 2008 Mass Most Wanted : All rights reserved.

Wow, now that was worth it [hmmm]

I wonder if the dolt had an LTC?

The moron should have moved to NH if he wanted a suppressor that bad... a $200 tax stamp plus the cost of the suppressor would be cheaper than what he'll end up paying in lawyer fees/losing in missed work.

FAIL!

Wow, now that was worth it [hmmm]

I wonder if the dolt had an LTC?

The moron should have moved to NH if he wanted a suppressor that bad... a $200 tax stamp plus the cost of the suppressor would be cheaper than what he'll end up paying in lawyer fees/losing in missed work.

FAIL!

Plus if he eats a felony charge, he will lose the right to (legally) own guns for the rest of his life. (this all assumes, of course, the guy isn't already some sort of criminal.... someone mentioned he stole the thing pretty swiftly- eg, like he had "lifted" stuff before. )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom