• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

yugo 7.62X39

All I have to say about this ammo is wow!. The stuff is wicked hot and cycles nice and easy in my SKS. It is corrosive but I did a full break down of the rifle including the gas system and cleaned every nook and cranny with water. then dried and cleaned normally. If you don't mind cleaning your SKS or AK for corrosive ammo after shooting, give this stuff a try.

I picked some up at a dealer down here on the south shore. 40rds on stripper clips for $13.00. I know it seems a little pricey but it is a good deal compared to some of the commercial stuff around.

heck thats not that bad. Have you priced stripper clips lately? Is this the brass cased stuff. I found it for 8.89......gone now should have bought more. I am shocked at how well my SKS has held up. It does not get cleaned every time.

heck thats not that bad. Have you priced stripper clips lately? Is this the brass cased stuff. I found it for 8.89......gone now should have bought more. I am shocked at how well my SKS has held up. It does not get cleaned every time.

At the least you should run some windex through the chamber, bore and gas tube, then give it a good long spray of WD-40 before bad stuff happens. [thinking]

Brass cased and Berdian primed (like all other surplus ammo). I tried to get the guy to lower the price on the ammo with out the clips, but he wouldn't budge so I just bought it clips and all.

Last edited:

At bare minimum you should use some hoppe's #9, I do a full windex/Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaning/Hoppe's #9 combo when I clean my M44,

One look at the gas system of a Yugo 59 or 59/66 SKS advertised in fair to good condition can tell you how corrosive Yugo ammo is.

At bare minimum you should use some hoppe's #9, I do a full windex/Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaning/Hoppe's #9 combo when I clean my M44,

Hoppies does not work for corrosive ammo, it will just rust under the oil. water dissolves and washes away the harmful salts. As long as you clean your rifle correctly and thoroughly when using corrosive ammo you will have nothing to worry about. Almost all nations that manufactured the SKS ran corrosive ammunition though them.

Last edited:
Hoppies does not work for corrosive ammo, it will just rust under the oil. water dissolves and washes away the harmful salts. As long as you clean your rifle correctly and thoroughly when using corrosive ammo you will have nothing to worry about. Almost all nations that manufactured the SKS ran corrosive ammunition though them.

I stand corrected will have to add hot water to the beginning of that cycle [thinking]

Well your half right, hoppies original formula was made for black powder (very corrosive) then they changed there formula and took out Nitro Benzene to make it more environmental friendly (carcinogenic). if you look at the old G.I. bore cleaner it has Nitro Benzene, the chemical ingredient to dissolve the corrosive salts. As you can see Water is safer then Nitro Benzene, works just as well or better and it is cheaper.

Last edited:
Well your half right, hoppies original formula was made for black powder (very corrosive) then they changed there formula and took out Nitro Benzene to make it more environmental friendly (carcinogenic). if you look at the old G.I. bore cleaner it has Nitro Benzene, the chemical ingredient to dissolve the corrosive salts. As you can see Water is safer then Nitro Benzene, works just as well or better and it is cheaper.

Makes sense, I guess that is where the "Hoppe's Nitro" got it's name. [grin]

At the least you should run some windex through the chamber, bore and gas tube, then give it a good long spray of WD-40 before bad stuff happens. [thinking]

WD40?????I read an article sometime ago about the dangers of using WD40 on firearms. If I remeber correctly it was on surplus rifles.com. It had something to do with it being combustable under pressure. Is that true?

Either way MrTwigg is correct soak it down with a good oil before something bad happens....everything but the gas tube that is. Gas tubes should be dried after you clean them. IMO

WD40?????I read an article sometime ago about the dangers of using WD40 on firearms. If I remeber correctly it was on surplus rifles.com. It had something to do with it being combustable under pressure. Is that true?

Either way MrTwigg is correct soak it down with a good oil before something bad happens....everything but the gas tube that is. Gas tubes should be dried after you clean them. IMO

Water Displacement-40 gets the last of the water from the windex off the metal. I use it just as a get-me-home before giving my rifle a proper cleaning later the same day.

Everybody has their preferences. [smile]

I knew i read it somewhere.
David S. Markowitz Copyright 1998-2000
Incidentally, there is one oil/solvent which I recommend you avoid for use on guns: WD-40. It is okay as a cleaner, but make sure that you remove all of it and replace it with a good rust-preventing oil before storing any gun. WD-40 doesn't work very well as a gun lubricant or to prevent rust - it's too light. However, it is useful when cleaning to blow fouling out of cracks and crevices...[wink]

when you get old its hard to remember if you actually read it or if you thought you read it!!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom