Your Preferred 6.5 Creedmoor Platform

Yes, it allows you to use higher BC bullets and still maintain good velocity in a short action. That extra 100 fps might make a difference depending on the distance you're shooting in keeping the bullet from going subsonic but overall not a major concern.

Kind of exaclty what I was looking for. I need to figure out what my realistic requirements are and forget the ninja shit. Basically everything that someone should take into consideration when talking about a rifle.

I was referencing the Remi 700 being a 24" barrel which would give better velocity results over say an 18" AR-10 barrel. The point was go as long as it is comfortable for you to do so. Just a general reference to longer range shooting and less drop.

For sure, I am going to look into where 6.5cm goes subsonic and figure out where that plays into my needs and build from there. A 24" is most def not where I need to be, but I'm also never going to take a shot over 1k, so why lie to myself?

Kind of exaclty what I was looking for. I need to figure out what my realistic requirements are and forget the ninja shit. Basically everything that someone should take into consideration when talking about a rifle.

For sure, I am going to look into where 6.5cm goes subsonic and figure out where that plays into my needs and build from there. A 24" is most def not where I need to be, but I'm also never going to take a shot over 1k, so why lie to myself?

I've run enough chrony data for my 6.5 CM AR to confirm that it remains supersonic past 1,000 yards- even with the relatively light 123 ELD Hornady projectiles. I run moderate loads averaging 2770 fps at the muzzle and they are still over mach 1.14 at 1,000. SMK 140's loaded for ~2700 fps muzzle are still over mach 1.2 at 1,000. The 123's worked better in my AR, with a velocity ES of only 17 fps which is pretty awesome in a gas gun. Oh, all from the 20" barrel.

I've run enough chrony data for my 6.5 CM AR to confirm that it remains supersonic past 1,000 yards- even with the relatively light 123 ELD Hornady projectiles. I run moderate loads averaging 2770 fps at the muzzle and they are still over mach 1.14 at 1,000. SMK 140's loaded for ~2700 fps muzzle are still over mach 1.2 at 1,000. The 123's worked better in my AR, with a velocity ES of only 17 fps which is pretty awesome in a gas gun. Oh, all from the 20" barrel.

This is good shit, thank you for this data dump. I can live with a 20" barreled upper and it seems like it will be a rig I won't out grow.

This is good shit, thank you for this data dump. I can live with a 20" barreled upper and it seems like it will be a rig I won't out grow.

No problema!

I did some searching and had read comments that the 123 gr Hornady ELD ran well in a gas gun. Perhaps I just randomly hit a sweet spot or maybe there was indeed something to it. The SD was something like only 7 fps, which is very benchrest or PRS worthy. I had tried several loads with the SMK 140's and maybe some Nosler CC's and couldn't get them to settle down like that. Interestingly, I think my best 100 yard groups were with the 140's, but the 123's find long distance targets all by themselves, LOL. My skill level is still a bit of a limit for 800+ yards, but anything below that is a piece of cake with this setup.

Once I wrap up some travel and then some reloading for upcoming matches, I plan to install a 24" Criterion barrel and this brake GAMMA 65 | VG6 Precision . Wish I would have used a brake on my 20", but that barrel is already Massified. I shot a friend's AR with the VG6 Gamma brake and that brake is by far the best I have tried for keeping your eyes on target.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I used a JP free float fore end. It's extremely solid and when properly torqued down I suspect it's as stable as most PRS chassis.

Reading your posts it seems like a gas gun is a no brainer.

Especially if you already have a suitable lower. I completed and registered mine about a week and a half before the Heil Healy BS, so I was extra glad I went that direction. I guess some extra complications are possible with the AR platform vs. the bolt guns, but those are manageable. I'd still like to do a bolt gun someday, but recently decided to spend some saved $ on the new 6.5 barrel and the rest on a top shelf M1 Garand build as I shoot M1 matches almost every month.

Especially if you already have a suitable lower. I completed and registered mine about a week and a half before the Heil Healy BS, so I was extra glad I went that direction. I guess some extra complications are possible with the AR platform vs. the bolt guns, but those are manageable. I'd still like to do a bolt gun someday, but recently decided to spend some saved $ on the new 6.5 barrel and the rest on a top shelf M1 Garand build as I shoot M1 matches almost every month.

I do, I am mid way through a 16" 308 build, more of a heavy carbine then any type of precision gun. I have been sitting on an upper/lower set from AWS when they did their run here a few years back. I opted to grab a second upper from them because I knew I wanted a shorter/lighter 308 carbine and likely a longer heavier scoped upper for stretching it out. You have sold me on 6.5CM for my spare upper, and I am likely going to follow your suggestions on everything save the muzzle device, I want the option to suppress so I have to stick to 51t AAC devices. I will probably go for one of the 30cal 2 chamber brakes.

Back
Top Bottom