Your New Knife!

My original Spyderco Delica from 1991-ish, and new Delica. I was getting afraid of losing the old one because of the plastic clip not holding so well. Saw the new version and had to have it!
View attachment 761859View attachment 761860
I'm not a fan of Spyderco's clips, so I replace them with deep carry clips from LynchNW. The have a lot of finish options: Spyderco Long Clip

A word of warning, if you choose to replace or just move your Spyderco clips, be aware that the factory uses threadlocker and those little Allen head screws will strip out if you even look at them wrong. So heat up the screws first with a soldering iron.

If you don't do that (because you are an idiot like me), then you get to clamp your knife to your bench, use a Dremel to cut a slot in the screw heads, then heat up the screws with a soldering iron and use a regular screwdriver to remove them. So just use the soldering iron in the first place to save yourself some grief.

It actually sits really low in the pocket since the clip is attached at the end (not on the side).
Understood but doesn’t that angled clip then cause the entire knife to sit diagonally inside the pocket? Taking up all that inside space instead of just a side portion of it? Like it doesn’t just go straight up and down (inside of the pocket), which makes me think it has to sit diagonally inside the pocket taking up much needed space for other items in there. Can you visualize what I’m trying very poorly to describe? lol 😂🤷‍♂️

I’m probably overthinking it but it crossed my mind immediately just looking at that angle.

I've always had the knife right up against one edge of the pocket it's inside of. As such how the clip looks is not a factor. The only thing different from some of my other Kershaw blades is the clip isn't straight compared with the pocket (if you get what I'm talking about). Personally, that's not a factor. Of course, the clip is TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT with it being so new.
breaking bad jeans GIF

I see what you’re saying. It looks like it’s setup for a left front pocket (so that it angles back/to the side). Except the switch is on the wrong side.

I see what you’re saying. It looks like it’s setup for a left front pocket (so that it angles back/to the side). Except the switch is on the wrong side.
I'm right handed (or correct handed) so my pocket knives are always in my right pocket. Works just fine there. IMO, if you're wrong handed then you can put it into your left pocket. IIRC, you can easily flip the pocket clip to the other side so you can work with it there (the screws appear to be centered on the handle).

Had to put blue Loctite to the screws on the new Livewire since they were walking out on their own. If anyone else is getting one of these, or has one already, double check the screws to be sure they're not going to walk out on you. Would suck to lose one due to this.

picked up couple new to me knives. these have all been around for a few years but watching a few youtube vids of the hundreds out there on these piqued my curiosity to check them out for myself. the top 3 are "lightnings" otf blades. first one is a double edged dagger. next is the tanto and third, the drop point. all have 3 1/4", 440 steel blades in a matte finish. they have aluminum cases. i got each for $22 apiece on sale. blade steel is ok. have to keep the cost down somehow. 440 will sharpen nicely and they came razor sharp out of the box surprisingly. another surprise, hardly any of the anticipated wobble otf's have when deployed. i've examined $350 microtechs that had way more of that wobble. deployment is super quick and positive. i was happy to part with the $66 spent for the 3. decent quality for a budget otf. the dagger is a daily driver, been carried everyday since i got it.

the bottom knife is the boker kalashnikov side opening automatic with 3.5" satin drop point blade in aus 8. not the best but serviceable. the scales are coated aluminum. and deployment of the blade is super quick and positive. it has a deep pocket clip. i used it yesterday to cut up a couple of boxes and was happy to see the blade handled them nicely and didn't need a touch up after. nutnfancy has done a couple of video reviews on this knife a few years ago. he gave it a thumbs up both times.

not pictured cause i just ordered it is a spyderco delica with fully serrated vg-10 blade. this is a pocket chainsaw! best serrated edge in the business spyder has. i didn't have a serrated blade in the collection and plan on this also being an edc. three things for certain...death, glocks and spyderco knives. in case you don't follow along, spyderco fanboy here. i think the delica is the best edc pocket carry knife ever invented. and spyderco has a steel for everyone if you look. vg-10 is their standard and it's very good. other spyderco models get plenty of pocket time but there is always a delica in some pocket. what? ok, i'll put up a photo when i get it. lol

and lastly, know the knife laws in massachusetts. it's not up to me to school you, just find them online and read.

otf final.jpg

Agree. I’ve had one close on me so I only use them for light work. Luckily the Spiderco seconds sale has provided me with a drawer full of disposable knives.

Picked up these two this weekend in Maine.
beautiful! nice adds to the collection!

that wasn't thunder you heard yesterday afternoon, it was mr. enbloc, he was doing his buck happy dance from heaven when that was posted. i can't even see the "buck" logo and my thoughts go directly to mr. enbloc. he musta had a million of 'em in the collection i'd reckon. happy thoughts of you, matt. but still miss you, buddy. [crying]

Back
Top Bottom