Your New Knife!

Different people have different tolerance for legal risk.
I’ve never worried about the legality of the knife I carry. Mainly because I can’t think of a likely situation in which a cop will be going through my pockets.

It’s also just a stupid law. I can legally carry a .45 but not a switchblade? Gay. This is not legal advice

I’ve never worried about the legality of the knife I carry. Mainly because I can’t think of a likely situation in which a cop will be going through my pockets.
You're walking down the street. Cop sees the clip on the outside of your pocket and the tip of your knife. Now you're off to the races. He would have to be a Richard to do something about it, but plenty of cops are Richards.
It’s also just a stupid law. I can legally carry a .45 but not a switchblade? Gay.
Yes, it is a stupid law. That doesn't mean it is or isn't enforced.

I no longer carry my Spyderco Delica's with an Emerson Wave. But that's my decision and I understand why other folks would decide differently.

Anyone know what the penalties are?
I don’t, but, this guide as to what is legal seems up to date. I forgot that the pocket knife size limit is for the city of Boston and a few other cities:

Looks like here is the law in question. Chpt 269 Section 10:

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

Holy run-on sentence

It’s also just a stupid law. I can legally carry a .45 but not a switchblade? Gay. This is not legal advice
Maybe you go out and have a drink or two at dinner and get pulled over and the cop suspects OUI. Maybe you have a medical emergency and you have to have your edc items removed from your person. Maybe you got in an argument with the old lady and a neighbor calls in a domestic. Maybe someone has an ax to grind and red flags you, These all might seem unlikely but they're not impossible. I've been involved in one of these types of scenarios in the past and never thought it would happen until it did.

Looks like here is the law in question. Chpt 269 Section 10:

Holy run-on sentence
This part in bold below always confused me. Does it mean that you can’t carry on your person any knife with a blade of over one and one-half inches, or is it any of the prior-described knives with a blade length of over one and one-half inches? looking at it now, I think it applies to the latter, though I think the city of Boston and some other cities have additional prohibitions against carrying pocket knives.

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches

You're walking down the street. Cop sees the clip on the outside of your pocket and the tip of your knife. Now you're off to the races. He would have to be a Richard to do something about it, but plenty of cops are Richards.

Yes, it is a stupid law. That doesn't mean it is or isn't enforced.

I no longer carry my Spyderco Delica's with an Emerson Wave. But that's my decision and I understand why other folks would decide differently.
But it’s not illegal to carry a knife, only certain kinds of knives. The cop would have no legal grounds to stop me since he has no idea what kind of knife I’m actually carrying. If he asked to see it, I would just tell him no.

Granted they can always lie or whatever, but I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have a knife on me. Even 30 years ago before the invention of the pocket clip I always had a knife in one of those belt holsters and never got my questioned about it.

I use an old silverware case that I found at the dump swap shack.
I keep mine in a drawer. I threw away. It’s of the boxes so I have knives just piled on top of each other with no regard. Some of them are pretty expensive too. One day when I move to a larger place I will treat them with respect.

Back in the mid 70's as a teenager, I was sitting on a bench on Boston common when a couple leo's walked up, appearing to have specific intent...
One put his hand out and said "Knife please", handed him my buck 112 from its sheath on my belt, he slipped it in his pocket. I knew enough not to make much of a stink past mild indignation, probably had a joint or something on me.
"Weapon in a high crime zone" was the explanation, being that apparently the common was in such an area as it was considered part of the combat zone.
I told him he might as well have the sheath too, which he declined, stating he pocket carried... "Have a nice day boys..."
Always carried a blade from single digit years old till present, never had an issue other than that but that could easily have become an issue.

Probably did me a favor, I replaced it with a Gerber liner lock (upper left in pic) and never looked back. I didn't realize until that point how much I hate back locks, still have a 112 for nostalgic reasons but would never bother carrying it. Still have that Gerber with the home made sheath, retired it from edc when pocket clips came around.

Attachments

• wayback knives.JPG
    wayback knives.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 16
Back in the mid 70's as a teenager, I was sitting on a bench on Boston common when a couple leo's walked up, appearing to have specific intent...
One put his hand out and said "Knife please", handed him my buck 112 from its sheath on my belt, he slipped it in his pocket. I knew enough not to make much of a stink past mild indignation, probably had a joint or something on me.
"Weapon in a high crime zone" was the explanation, being that apparently the common was in such an area as it was considered part of the combat zone.
I told him he might as well have the sheath too, which he declined, stating he pocket carried... "Have a nice day boys..."
Always carried a blade from single digit years old till present, never had an issue other than that but that could easily have become an issue.

Probably did me a favor, I replaced it with a Gerber liner lock (upper left in pic) and never looked back. I didn't realize until that point how much I hate back locks, still have a 112 for nostalgic reasons but would never bother carrying it. Still have that Gerber with the home made sheath, retired it from edc when pocket clips came around.

Probably did you a favor…. I think you and I have differing views on corruption, authority, and second class of citizens. Wtf

The boot wanted a new knife and was perfectly comfortable stealing yours in broad daylight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom